1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G & L Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GAdair, Feb 15, 2010.

1. GAdair

GAdair TDPRI Member

Any thoughts? Looking for a tele, saw these at a local store. Don't know much about them. Any insight/thoughts highly appreciated.

2. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Designed by Leo Fender, if he still owned Fender, they'd be Fenders.

3. hiro

hiro Former Member

They are Fender. They had this guy called Clarence Leo working with this other guy called George Fullerton. They both worked for Fender.

Anycase to sum it up G&L is worth the price. They don't sound like Fender Telecasters, they got their own sound and the tone is good.

Out of the ones I've played they've had a higher ratio than Fender Telecasters, of ones with take home tone and work quality.

I've had guys at Buffalo Bros say the production US models were just as good as FEnder Custom shop gems . . .

Will own one of these:

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

know what you're looking at...
    there is a 'tribute' series which originally were made in the cort plant in korea...but they moved production to indonesia at some point.. i really don't know if they stack up.

5. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

+1 on the US made G&L quality. The are the best production guitars I've ever played. Every bit as good as the Fender Custom Shop stuff I've been around. If not better and WAAYYY better than American Std, Highway1, etc. They're a bit pricey (US models) but they are worth it. No tinkering necessary they're spot on right when ya get em' home! ;)

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now I heard this somewhere ............ heard that the Cort plant in Korea closed and moved the operation to Indonesia. Don't know if that's true but the Spalted Maple Telecaster carries the Fender brand and is currently coming out of Indonesia ........... maybe from the Indonesian Cort plant. Anyway, the quality of that Spalted Maple Telecaster looked fantistic.

7. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree way better quality than most regular production USA made Fenders.

I have 11 G&L's all pre BBE exceot 1 and it was made 2 weeks after BBE took over.

Thye are great guitars the newest ones have pleked necks.

8. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Tele-Meister

The Tribute's stack up... and stack up well. Very nice quality imports.

9. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

I have both US and Tribute...But also Fender Teles...Love them both...but different...

10. GAdair

GAdair TDPRI Member

Thanks gang. I have seen the G&L ASAT Classic at a local store for just under $600. Given what you're telling me, seems like that's the way to go. 1) better quality than the Squier CV I was looking at, and 2) cheaper than the Fender AM Stand.

Too bad I can't have one of each!

11. srode

srode TDPRI Member

G&Ls are great!

I've got two G&L ASATs (deluxe and a classic) and they are first-rate. I def agree that they are comparable to the Fender Custom Shop guitars in terms of quality. They have a unique sound, but I've modded my classic with a Seymour Duncan hot rail in the bridge position. That really opens it up and grabs attention! The G&L neck pickups have a very warm tone and I haven't found anything that sounds better yet. The other posts about making sure that you don't get a tribute model are correct, if you don't mind spending the extra money. Check the serial numbers at the G&L site or guitarsbyleo.com.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  12. unchained

unchained Tele-Meister

I have an American ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow, 1 American Legacy and 1 import ASAT Special at the moment. The Americans are top notch guitars. The import is an incredible guitar for the price. It holds it's own against the Americans mostly because it is a solid body and different pickups. I don't see myself replacing it with it's American counterpart because it's that good, but it's not quite the same vibe. The American G&Ls have it all over current American Fenders until you get in Custom Shop territory. YMMV

13. BillyG

BillyG Tele-Holic

G&L are fine instruments that really deserve to be more popular than they are.

14. sa paine

sa paine Tele-Holic

Great guitars.

15. Memphisbound

Memphisbound Tele-Meister

I just put a G&L 25th Ann. mahogany neck (got it cheap due to a cracked neck...repaired it myself) on a translucent orange Tribute Bluesboy body and...pow! If I didn't know it I couldn't tell the difference between a full USA or this one. Total cost $300.
    I love G&L products. Have a 1981 F-100 and a Tribute S-500 too.

16. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple, I like the way they play, but I hate the way the pickups sound.

17. JMercer

JMercer TDPRI Member

agreed

18. Targ

Targ Tele-Meister

Unlike those fenders, you know the ones that no one EVER changes Their pickups :rolleyes:

19. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

No, its not necessarily "the way to go".
    From all the above opinion, just take away that the quality is OK to Good.

The way to go now........ is to play them at the store into a similar amp to the one you have and take home the one that sounds and feels best....whichever it is.

Many people here have CVs for just that reason, because they say that they play good.

20. kermit

kermit TDPRI Member

I've never played one but when I looked for a Tele, I red a lot about G&L guitars: they are qualitatively betters than the Fenders: Tribute series than Squire and maybe MIM, and american G&L are better than American Standard and near American Deluxe series.
    Maybe they sound better but not like Fender guitars, so I bought a Fender because I'm in love with the typycal Fender sound and I don't like the look of these G&L instruments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.