1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G&L Tele - Change Pick Ups?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by CVS54, Aug 14, 2020.

1. CVS54

CVS54 TDPRI Member

Up to this point, I have been hesitant to mess around with the pickups, but with that said, the pole pieces are individually adjustable, so I might just take the plunge. My fear which I will have to get over, is that the adjustments I do will leave me with tone / sound that is worse than what I have now

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

No harm in trying, you can always adjust them back to where they were. Keep an open mind about using the tone and volume controls too - I find that my MFDs are different animals with the volume at 10 compared to the volume at 7.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

To the OP: ^^^ THIS ^^^

Those p'ups that look like P90's are actually G&L's MFD pickup's, and the harmonics in those pickups is AMAZING!

4. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I've got a lowly ASAT Special Tribute that i love.

Granted, it DOES NOT sound like a classic tele, but gosh..... The fullness, sweet highs the articulation.... I love those jumbo MFD pick ups. I remember playing witj their height a bit when i originally got it, b7t i pretty quickly gor it set right for my taste through my Orange amps.

These jumbo MFD have been a revelation for me. Granted, you have to accept them for what they are - a pretty HiFi version of a P90, with even sound spectrum from lows to highs, and none of the usual mids bark/honk associated with P90s.

Sweet through my Black Pearl too.

[​IMG]

Did anyone mention the saddle lock bridge yet? That bridge unit is genius. Comfy, practical, functional. Great unit.

Bird Dog likes this.
  5. Bird Dog

Bird Dog Tele-Meister

I've played one ASAT Special with the MDFs and thought it sounded very good. What kind of music are you playing and what's you main amp and pedal set-up?

IMG_1793.jpg

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, you need to put aside everything you've come to do without thinking, as to how high the pickups should be and how you position the dials on your guitar and your amp.

Even though Leo played a role in both concepts, they're really radically different. One of my gripes, trying to play both Fender template and G + L template guitars is, how much I have to throw away or put aside and start over with, when I try to switch from one to the other, for example when writing something. Sometimes I feel like I am being offered too many options.

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I just did! Woo hoo!

Les Paul lover, SuprHtr and John C like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.