G & L SC-3 advice

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GibAnn, Apr 30, 2019.

1. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Hi Guys, or anybody out there, this is my first attempt at this so go easy, & just a reminder, that your replies will be coming over the Southern Hemisphere of New Zealand, where it is the start of our winter, Which of course gives me time to repair and tidy up some of my guitars.
    My old G & L SC-3 has a scratchy 25K push pull pot (25K because it's active).
    Ive sprayed it with contact cleaner, taken it apart put it back together, but still scratchy.
    I imported one from America, brand new (In the USA they are $12, but to get it here to NZ --- $75) go figure,
    Any way, put the new one in,,,,,,,,,,,,, Gues what,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just as scratchy as the old one.
    It stands to reason that the new one is good (And most probably the old one as well)
    So the Question I'm asking all of you,,, what else could it be.
    Thanks in advance
    Gib

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Check all the solder joints?
    Had a wire with a break in it that gave me fits once with it's touching-not touching problem.

Could be a bad pot too or it's dusty from sitting on a shelf/parts bin. Maybe some Detoxit would help.
    What brand is it? I got some new Alpha pots recently that weren't so great and I've heard other's complaints lately. CTS and Bourns seem to be the best choice these days. I stay away from mini-pots, haven't had good luck from those ever.

3. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Earth wire?

4. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Hi ZepFan, Thanks for the info' mate, yep checked all the solder joints, plus I did all new wire for each joint,, Plus the old one I took apart, cleaned all out with contact cleaner, Plus a small bit of grease which goes in these pots. The New one from the USA $12 dollars to buy $50 to ship to NZ, but that is just as bad, but I don't think it is the pots, Ive cleaned them for yrs in other guitars, I would say it is something in the guitar circuit, Which I will find out what it is eventually ... Hey Thanks for your input,,,,,,,, Gib

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck to you.

6. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If the scratching only occurs when you turn the pot, it's probably the pot.
    Bourns pots are, in my opinion, the best pots available. Mini bourns are OK too.
    I replaced the pots in my Godin with Bourns mini pots. Quality feel to them,
    and the metal casing takes solder really well.
    It may be the active circuit. I'd visually check all solder joins on the PCB, and if thats OK, inspect any capacitors (caps usually give the most problem).

I personally prefer passive circuitry - more reliable and no battery to die on you at the wrong time.
    Only have active circuitry on my acoustic.

G&L SC-3 Nice!!
    If it was me, I'd hunt down some original pickups and restore it to original.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. kbold

Another thing to consider: It could be static crackle as your finger runs across the scratchplate surface.
    I had this problem once. Spraying scratch plate surface with an antistatic spray helped. Ended up shielding (and grounding) the plate with copper foil.

8. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Ha ha "Kbold" I had a Static Crackle in my fingers when I used to play in Australia with "Kevin Bloody Wilson",,,,, regards,,,,,,,, Gib

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. kbold

Kevin Bloody Wilson ,,,,,, sounds more like a cackle than a crackle. Bet that was a riot.

10. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Yep, a nice guy and bloody funny (with him for 4 yrs)

11. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Direct current through a pot is one of the possible explanations for scratchiness, especially when wear and contaminants have been ruled out.

One possible source is the amp, so test with a different amp. A bad capacitor can let DC through the input jack to the guitar's controls.

In this case, the 9V supply of the active electronics is another possible source.

12. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Nice one "Snfoilhat" the 9v supply wiring, was the cause of all the trouble, I ripped it out and threw it as far as Oakland, Ca, you might think its a shooting star passing,,,,,,,,,,,regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Gib

13. tikitorch

tikitorch TDPRI Member

You need to check for leaky capacitors in the preamp. DC on the pots will make a scratchy noise.

14. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Hi tikitorch, you sound like a fellow Kiw with a name like that., I found the problem which was the battery lead connector dry joint.
    However I'm thinking of taking out the preamp and 25k pots & putting in 250k pots,,, Gib

15. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Glad you got it sorted tho I feel sorry for the folks in Oakland...

Let's see some pics mate!!

16. GibAnn

GibAnn TDPRI Member

Hi Gib Here, mate, I'm in New Zealand,, What happened in "Oakland"

17. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Just taking the piss bro, you throwing the wiring harness in that direction..

Any pics of your SC-3?

GibAnn likes this.
  18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the TDPRI from a fellow Kiwi Gib. That would have been a total buzz playing with KBW back then. Used to love listening to the likes of him and Rodney Rude. :lol:

GibAnn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.