G&L Owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by OM 21, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

Standard 5-way switching?

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

IMG_1261.JPG IMG_0603.JPG
    Blue burst, it’s actually prettier in person, both tributes.

Fergyuk, guitrr, 1Coil and 2 others like this.
  3. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn't decide between this Fallout or the blue/maple one. A very comfortable guitar to play, small, contoured body, nice neck. Plus, a huge range of tones from the electrics. The coil tap is the best I've heard, on it's own or with the P90.

[​IMG]

Tonemonster, guitrr, AAT65 and 3 others like this.
  4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Each.

1Coil likes this.
  5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes 5 way switching plus push/pull treble knob for neck and bridge combo, and all 3 pick-ups together. Designed pick-ups by Leo himself,as well as the locking saddle bridge design.

1Coil likes this.
  6. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

Nice. I was just wondering if it had the same switching as my Comanche.

7. Rick P

Rick P TDPRI Member

ngbGvLAr.jpg ngbGvLAr.jpg
    Like mine just fine, have had the invader since 85.

Fergyuk, guitrr, stevevai777 and 3 others like this.
  8. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Question-- am I the only one here who thinks the SC/Fallout guitars would make an awesome platform for a Short-Scale (24") G&L? I'm thinking something along the lines of a DuoSonic/Mustang?

Not sure how the 2-point trem would work out for such an axe, but having that sturdy, solid Saddle-Lock fixed bridge would definitely be worthwhile, IMHO.

9. jimilee

guitrr likes this.
  10. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I decided that I needed good USA made Tele (I have a Vintage V52 as well as several Loars) and was thinking about getting a Hahn Model C when my local shop owner told me he had a couple of ASAT Fullerton specials coming in. If you’re not familiar with those, they’re sort of a budget USA model. G&L does a factory run of guitars all with the same specs, a less expensive fingerboard material, and a bag instead of a hard shell case. They sell for about $1000 retail, usually. If you see a Stupid Deal of the Day G&L at MF for around $995, that’s a Fullerton Special.

The first was an ASAT Classic, and while I really like the feel of the maple neck, tonewise it was close to my V52. The second turned out to be not a Fullerton Special but a regular ASAT Special with a rosewood neck. I liked how this one played even more, and my dealer said he’s sell it to me for the same price as a Fullerton Special plus the cost of a hard shell case (The Fullertons come in a really cheap gig bag) which is to say around $400 less than the Hahn, and the Hahn comes in a gig bag. Sold.

The Special is supposedly Leo’s idea of a next generation Telecaster, and I can see his thinking. The bridge is fantastic. It’s the best bridge ever put on a Fender-style guitar, with tremendous stability and solidity. Top loader fans like JC might prefer something with more flex, but it suit some me well. The pickups are somewhere between a Jazzmaster and a P90, with lots of clarity and chime while still sounding good when put through an overdriven amp.

The best part of this guitar is the build quality. G&L is really more of a large boutique builder than a factory. Other than the Fullerton Specials, every guitar is built to order. Every neck, I’m told, is hand finished. The neck pocket is as tight as any custom shop guitar. The frets have a mirror finish and are perfectly leveled. The paint job is flawless. I’ve owned a lot of Fenders in my day (my first guitar was a brand new Musicmaster) and this beats them all. It’s definitely a keeper.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    guitrr, AAT65, 1Coil and 1 other person like this.
  11. jimilee

Now my asat classic is a Baja asat classic. 8 way SP1 pot switch goodness.
    IMG_2031.JPG

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

My wife commissioned this custom-built S-500 to my specs in 2000:
    [​IMG]

It's got a swamp ash body with transparent red finish, a lightly-figured birdseye maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard, and a white pearloid pickguard. It has sustain forever and has played a bunch of recording dates with me. The one Strat sound it won't do is position 2 on an Alder/Maple Strat, but I covered that later.

CLIP ONE
    The rhythm sound is this guitar. In the middle of tracking I looked up at the monitors and thought, "Oh, crap! I'm channeling Joe Walsh here..."
    CLIP TWO The chordal lead at :48 is the S-500. The lap steel is my Gretsch.
    Clips copyright 2010, 3:16 Media

[​IMG]
    (It was "red guitar day" at the studio in 2010.)

Bob

Fergyuk, guitrr, 1Coil and 2 others like this.
  13. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

I have been playing my 1999 USA ASAT Deluxe semi hollow a lately.
    I have had a love/hate relationship with it for years mainly due to the thin neck, narrow nut and huge square frets. After taking it in for a ful fret level last Summer it became so much better, it's like a different guitar, Plays great and sounds more even. It's my most versatile guitar. The split sounds from the humbuckers actually are really useful. Super light, works great for jazz too.
    Here is a clip of it in action

That Cal Webway and guitrr like this.
  14. jim6172

jim6172 NEW MEMBER!

Almost a broadcaster Found this at GC and worked a deal, it is a 1987 Asat aka poor mans broadcaster
    decent shape especially to be 31 years young a few dings and scratches but has character, the dark look with the ebony board and large frets just sucked me in sorry bout the hurried phone pics promise ill do better next time
    jim

g-l4.jpg g&l1.jpg g&l2.jpg G&L3.jpg

15. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Nice ASAT! I owned one of these at one time but foolishly sold it. It was a 1990 model:

[​IMG]

What's even worse, I had a Broadcaster at one time and sold it as well. Both of these guitars were in near-mint condition:

[​IMG]

Fergyuk, guitrr, savofenno and 2 others like this.
  16. jim6172

jim6172 NEW MEMBER!

Just gorgeous

jim_pridx likes this.
  17. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Love both of those beauties! Not much difference in the Asat above, is there? Perhaps the pick guard?

I bought a Broadcaster 7 or 8 years ago. It's not of particular value as someone routed rather badly under the pickguard for a humbucker. It's not visibly noticeable. It's a great guitar, as my other two old Asats are. Gave the Broadcaster to my #2 son several years ago.

18. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, other than the headstock and the pickguard, the two guitars were practically identical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should've kept both of them, but since I went through a spell where I needed to unload a bunch of gear, these two along with several other guitars flew the coop. So it goes, I guess.

Fergyuk, savofenno and asatfan like this.
  19. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Here's mine, an Asat Classic S from the 2nd limited run in 2007 when these guitars were released. I bought this guitar about a year ago from a band mate, and it's been my #1 ever since!
    Plays and sounds better than any telecaster I've played or owned!
    :)

20180618_181719.jpg

1Coil and asatfan like this.
  20. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just joined the club! My first G&L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.