1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G&L Owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by OM 21, Jun 26, 2009.

1. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Best place to ask is the G&L forum. G&L boss Dave McLaren posts there as Darth Invader and seems to check in quite often

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm ready to join the club! I bought an ASAT Legacy Deluxe this morning on ebay. It'll be here next week. I'm excited. I was going to build a parts guitar, but I discovered these and they're cheaper then anything I could build, so I pulled the trigger. That Jack Pearson video just reinforced my decision as he's a big influence right now.

Here's the ebay picture:

Attached Files:

3. 1Coil

1Coil TDPRI Member

^^^^
    Gorgeous guitar! Congrats. Should have great tone.

Like your quote, as well.

Cheers!

4. Paul in Colorado

Thanks, 1Coil.

I got it last week and took it to my tech for a set up, intonation and some fret work. It was ready Sunday, but I couldn't get over to pick it up and he's out of town for a week. The short time I had it in my hands I was real impressed with the quality. I can't wait to get it back with fresh strings and all. It's going to get a lot of playing time.

5. pjr114

pjr114 TDPRI Member

The Modern U

I haven't found any opinions on G&L's Modern U Neck. Has anyone tried one? From images the Modern U looks chunky at the first fret compared with a Classic C but according to the G&L options page it's actually narrower up the neck at the 12th fret, .91 to .96. I suppose the feel is more in the actual shape than the measurements. Anyways, would be interested in the views of those who have compared the two or at least have played a Modern U. No dealers in this area (!).

6. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

NGD: transparent red F-100 II. I just picked this up on EBay. Beat up, needs TLC, but a cool guitar. The bass roll off and mini switches have been taken out of the circuit.

Looking for suggestions on resources for (somewhat) restoring this.

Also, how do the new F-100 MFDs compare to these old ones?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441386395.331799.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441386409.083044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441386438.134961.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441386453.359312.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441386471.104218.jpg

guitrr likes this.
  7. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Nice !

It looks like an earlier version,( it has slot head pole piece screws as opposed to the hex heads on later versions). And it looks to have an ebony board ?

The new versions, made in the last few years, don't have the PTB tone control system or the single coil / out of phase switches.

Check out the G&L forum, for restoring the original PTB controls

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=349

You need the F100 diagrams, the F100-E was the active version

I have an 1980 Series I F100 myself, the pickups are very high output, they make a Duncan JB sound tame by comparison.

It can sound very harsh with everything left on 10. I usually run all the controls, volume / bass /treble at about 5 and take it from there.

The Series I had a 12" radius board, and the Series II 7.25".

8. Paul in Colorado

I got the ASAT Tribute back from the repairman today. He set it up, put on new strings, did some fret work and reworked the nut. I LOVE this guitar. It's the sound I've been searching for by buying different pedals. It turns out that all I needed was a dual humbucker guitar. The quality to price ratio is amazing. Even with the set up work I have less then $400 in this instrument. And it's brand new. Incredible.

Thank You, G&L!

9. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Thanks, SouthPawGuy. It's a II with ebony. Besides hex pole pieces, are the current MFDs the same specs as these old ones, or different?

10. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

check out his page .. http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38

G&L Magnetic Field Design large humbucking ... 6.9K - 7.3K (F-100 1980-1986); 7.5K - 7.9K (G-200 1981-1982); 9.9K (neck) 15.6K (bridge) ... F-100, G-200, 25th Anniversary, F-100 Return Edition, F-100 (2009), 30th Anniversary F-100, bridge pickup in GbL LE2

11. Richard Morgan

Richard Morgan TDPRI Member

Love my USA ASAT classic. How does the Legacy stack up against an American Deluxe Strat in your opinion.

I'm conflicted.

12. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

When I first started buying G&Ls in late 2007 or so I avoided Legacys, I went for the ASAT models, mainly because I already had several Fender Strats and wanted a lefty tele style with a rosewood board ( Fender don't make any apart from Custom Shop).

The cherry burst one pictured was my first Legacy and it put my Strats into the background, the 12" radius board with larger frets is ideal for me personally, plus the PTB controls make it very versatile. I also like the #1 neck profile more than that on any of my strats which include a '78, '93 and '97 Am Std, and a pair of Deluxe Strats both from '06. The modern C profile on the Deluxe model has a shoulder that sometimes distracts whilst playing.

Noiseless pickups are something that I appreciate and both Deluxe strats have SCN pickups with S-1 switching, which straight out of the box is something G&L do not offer a lefty player ( Z coils in the Comanche are not made in lefty :mad: ).

However I had a couple of other Legacys modded with hum free DiMarzios Areas and Injectors. Both retain the G&L PTB controls which make them way more versatile than the Deluxe Strats with S-1 switching ( which I never use as it sounds like a single coil pickup with the tone rolled off to my ears).

13. Richard Morgan

Richard Morgan TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. You're much better versed on the Legacy's than I, as I would not be able to describe how the PTB circuits color the sound. I love my USA ASAT...but hated the bridge PU as it just didn't sound vintage "Tele-ish" enough for me. Hence, ordered Don Mare Hayrides and an RS guitarworks vintage Tele circuit re-do. The RS rig, $75 dollars worth of something probably only Penguins can hear...but if I'm going to disembowel the guitar might as well go big or go home. I too like the #1 neck as I have small hands. The G+ L's are a lot of guitar for the money without the extra $2-300 for the Fender "Mojo". I keep looking on Ebay at the Legacy's...with 14 guitars in my collection I'd have to bury a couple in the backyard so my wife wouldn't know.

14. 3CardMonty

3CardMonty TDPRI Member

I got this G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow a couple of weeks ago. Took some time for the wood to settle after Hurricane Joaquin, but once it did, I was able to perform setup & feels like a glove now. Very satisfied w/the quality over Fender Tele's 3x's its price. I'm done with Fender's. Too much tweaking & after-market mods to make. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1444546215.063592.jpg

guitrr likes this.
  15. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Here's some pictures of my new baby!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! :D

Attached Files:

guitrr likes this.
  16. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Gorgeous, but I had to put on my sunglasses.

17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Anyone know what happened to the G&L forum?

18. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

I emailed Craig, this is the latest as of about an hour ago ...

We are working with our ISP and the domain name hosting service to get this resolved.
    No ETA for resolution yet but it is being actively worked on.

19. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Bling out the wazooo, love it !

guitrr likes this.
  20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Okay, cool, glad it didn't shut down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.