G&L more Fender than Fender?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by karnac, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tom Cook

Tom Cook Tele-Meister

G & L

Love G & L's I have a Legacy & A Legacy Special and also an SB-2
    Great playing all 3 of them . I have to admit both Legacy's (Older 3 Bolt ) were very weak in the pick up department , but nothing Lindy Fralins didn't solve. Here is the Legacy"1994" ( Lindy Vintage with bass plate ) This guitar sounds fantastic , not just for me but all my fender friends as well . I like what Leo did with the bridge and the controls . Not at all worried about the head stock look, once you play and hear her whatever she looks like is a thing of beauty. The Legacy Special has a set of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials , it is as nice as any Fender I have and I have some really nice ones . The Bass - (SB-2 ) has hot stock pick ups . As for not holding a retail price , I think that's great , easier to pick up a nice used piece for the people who like them . And for the ones that don't sell them , who cares !

Attached Files:

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, they are hum-cancelling, like the P-bass pickup.

3. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

I can't stand an odd-looking headstock, but for some reason the ASAT's has never bother me a bit. I've had my ASAT Classic for nearly 20 years now and it's still my favorite guitar. I never realized G&Ls were so hard to find. I guess I've been spoiled living in Austin, New York City and now LA. I'd by two or three more if I could afford it. They're a beauty to behold and a joy to hold.

4. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

I can't see that little nipple on the headstock when I'm playing my ASAT, but I can feel the neck and hear the pickups, and I have no fender GAS.

P

5. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

This is also my feeling

6. italo

italo Tele-Meister

Legacy tribute here. Made in Indonesia. Very nice guitar. US pickups. bass control. Sounds every bit as good as my MIM strat, but the tremolo actually works!

7. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, pickups are a less is more thing, and I suppose you can conclude that less range, less output, more noise in fender pups is better, but G&L hardware? I really don't know how you can avoid the fact that their trem is superior, and their hard tail...well, that they felt compelled to dumb down ASAT Classics with an ash tray is a real shame. The saddle lock is a better design in every possible way. Wish I had one on my Junior; it's better than a tunamatic, too.

P

8. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

Well played, sir

[​IMG]

9. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

If I'm not mistaken, G&L's had a three-bolt neck when they first came out, which caused many people to tune them out immediately. That had to be the stupidest marketing decision ever - "Hey, let's retain the most objectionable feature of 70's Fender guitars!"

10. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Does Fender/Squier pickups and such, fit on a G&L? What attracts me to a product is the parts available for it, and Fender seems to have the largest availability of aftermarket parts.

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Typical Leo though - since he designed the 3-bolt micro-tilt neck for Fender (it was the last design he submitted to CBS/Fender, coming in 1969 as his 5-year consulting contract was to end in January/February of 1970) he was damned if he wasn't going to use the design and prove that it worked.

He used it on his Music Man models before he started G&L. Frankly it isn't the 3-bolt/micro tilt design itself, it was CBS/Fender's production implementation with sloppy/lax tolerances to begin with that were allowed to get worse as the decade of the 1970s went along. Also the Music Man and G&L bodies had a deeper neck pocket (the neck heels go down below the 22nd fret; Fender 22-fret necks have the heel in the same spot as a 21-fret neck and the 22nd fret is on an overhang) which gave it at least 1/4" more solid wood-to-wood contact.

G&L didn't convert to a 4-bolt neck until around 1997 (if I'm remembering correctly) - long after Leo was gone and BBE Sound had taken over the company.

12. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I nabbed a ASAT Tribute on Craig's List a few months ago. The guitar is so, so nice. Fit and finish is superb. and the pickups sound great. Love everything about the guitar.

Based on that, I went and bought a G&L ASAT Special on E-Bay. It's the real deal USA made, with Leo's P-90 type single coils. It sounds nothing like the tele, and can get nice and raw and dirty, but I don't get the twang I get from my ASAT Tribute. I love the fixed bridge on it, big solid hunk of metal.

I really love both guitars, and got rid of both of my MiM teles. Passively looking for an ASAT Classic on Craig's List.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I think George Fullerton designed the snake head tele not Leo Fender. I believe Leo was more of an amp guy.
    Anyway G&L's are nice guitars but are a different animal than the Fenders. I have no G&L GAS.

14. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

I own a couple of USA Legacies and they are both great, love the necks. The heastock isn't an issue for me.

A local dealer of G&L's back in the day told me that staying small was Leo's business model. High quality for a decent price and the quality and name would carry the line.
    I suppose that would be OK if there had been more widespread distribution.

But I think all the marketing comments are dead on.
    I would have marketed the crap out of it with Leo's face and name plastered on every ad.

As far as resale, yeah I agree, if you buy one keep it. The reason I have 2 is because the dealer that had them was liquidating and I picked up both for $100 more that I could have bought one from him a year earlier.

15. BigDaddyLH

No.

For example, G&L necks are 22 fret with no overhang.

This is a mark against G&L: it's hard to find an after market neck. think most people contact G&L through their dealer.

16. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

I had a G&L Asat Classic in Gretsch Orange and I sold it because
    I had to pay Bills. At the time I didn't have a job. I bought the
    guitar because of the neck it had a better one then the Fender
    guitars that I looked at. I would like to have that guitar back
    today. I also like the one from the 90's compared to the ones
    today. Where I live there is no local Dealer there was one back
    in the 90's so if I wanted to play one I would have to go on a
    Road trip to Kingston NY.

17. joeismyname

joeismyname Tele-Meister

yes...my asat classic has a lollar neck pickup made for a fender, and I believe some sort of hot fender bridge replacement pup (both sound killer and balanced)...i got it in a trade for another G&L legacy (with stck pups that sounded incredible).

I feel like my asat is the best of almost all tele worlds, it only cost me about $800 (the price of my legacy i traded), it has remarkable playability, I love the vintage bridge with 6 saddles, far better for intonation and durability, locking tuners, and it still retains a lot of the classic tele sound because of the aftermarket tele replacement pups. I've honestly never tried any asat pups before, but if they sound as good as the legacies I imageine they are fantastic. I have tried the z's which are great. The only complaint i have for g&l is they are around 8-9 lbs instead of just 6.5-7.5 lbs.

18. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Honestly I think G&L fall victim to the same issue most copy guitars do... They aren't the original, they're a copy. If they had created new guitars I'd be a lot more interested in examining them. The fact Leo did it means little to me in fact. He's making a Strat and a Tele, shaped and designed much like the Fenders he made with FMIC. And the Visual change - the headstock - is to me ugly.

Truth is they might be great guitars in every way. But they're Fender copies in my mind. Something just turns me off about that.

19. BigDaddyLH

I think Leo's history followed him like a shadow. He was forced to make guitars that more closely resembled Strats and Teles, and I think he grumbled about that. But today, G&L sell all these, too. Does Fender make these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The unintentionally funny thing is that Leo DID come up with new designs for the G&Ls, and they never really took off. The story I heard was that Dale Hyatt and some folks came up with the original "Broadcaster"/ASAT idea because Hyatt was getting requests from dealers to "make something more like the old Fenders". They worked on it in secret and unveiled it to Leo once it was done, and he came on board with it when he saw that it wasn't a 100% Tele clone - I could be wrong about that and maybe I'm thinking of how the ASAT Classic came about a few years later.

Their original double-cut guitars were vaguely "Stratty" but still visibly different from the Strat until circa 1990 - right before Leo's death. For example - the original S-500s were "Stratty" but not 100% clones:

[​IMG]

And he had some really unusual models in the early days like this G-200 (Gibson-scale G&L):

[​IMG]

or the "x-body" Interceptor:

[​IMG]

They just didn't sell so they began moving most things to a more "true" Tele and Strat shape right before Leo died; BBE Sound simply kept it up and now they do use pretty much the Fender shapes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.