G&L MFD single coil

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Omar from ST, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Omar from ST

Omar from ST TDPRI Member

I own a tribute Asat classic; I didn’t adjust pickup’s poles ever since I bought it.

I’d like to get mellow tone, I’d appreciate some guidance.

Thank you :D

2. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

You don’t need to mess with the pole pieces, these pickups are very responsive to the tone knob.

3. Omar from ST

They are, I totally agree. Thank you for your input :)

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You might experiment with the pickup heights, too.

5. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic

Yes, do this.

When you say you want a mellow tone do you mean yours sounds overly bright to you?

Omar from ST likes this.
  6. Omar from ST

The treble is bright, although I have all tone knobs down to zero. Also, I the bass is loud, especially the low E. Middle is perfect.

How can I lower the pickup itself? By removing the pick guard? I haven’t tried that before to be honest. I’ll look it up. Many thanks!

7. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

To lower the bridge pickup, use the three adjustment screws (one in front of the pickup and two behind). To lower the neck pickup, you have to take off the pickguard.

Omar from ST and Bowpickins like this.
  8. Omar from ST

Thank you Bill. :) I’ll try it this weekend.

I mostly play jazz; in fact, I’m learning jazz.

9. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I would look at raising the pickups a bit if you are trying to mellow out the tone.
    I have an Asat Classic S, and have messed with it to find the balance I have on mine. Also put MFD pickups in my Fender guitars.

Bright treble is just part of the MFD's nature, in my opinion. I like it. I think it adds a nice clarity when the pickup is set right. Sounds like either a pickup height adjustment, or a pole piece adjustment would fix the bassy/boomy low E string.

I tend to start adjusting pickups by first: getting the low E and high E string to be equal in volume (I tend to start on the bridge pickup with mine), by adjusting overall pickup height first. After that: I simply adjust the inside four strings to match output with the outer two strings, listening carefully to make sure each string rings out clearly and each string is equally heard. Readjusting pickup and pole piece height, as needed.

Hope this helps! :)
    Joseph.

Omar from ST likes this.
  10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I have an S500, a Legacy and an ASAT Blues Boy. My 95 S500 has MFDs in it, height is likely where you'll get the best results. As Bowpickins said that top end clarity is part of the MFD sound. I made several adjustments over the years to get the right blend. Good luck.

Omar from ST likes this.
  11. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Jazz sound is good in my opinion

Pechorin and Omar from ST like this.
  12. Omar from ST

Thank you! I’ll start with pickup height.
    I ordered the S500 Strat then cancelled the order as I had to wait for 5 months. I was looking forward to playing it, but instead I bought a new amp :D
    Lovely! I usually use second position for jazz.

13. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

MFDs are bright. You can adjust pole pieces to equalize volume between strings. Overall height will affect brightness slightly. Closer to string should be more mellow on tone, but with higher output, and possibly lesser sustain. You could also increase the cap value. I’m not sure what cap you have, I think some tributes have 22nF. If that’s the case, try 33 or 47nF, or even 68, if you like.

14. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I agree with the last comment. Not saying you shouldn't try adjusting height. You should, and it might help some. But if your goal is to seriously darken up a pickup that sounds too bright when the tone knob is at zero, you need to change your tone cap to a larger value. The bigger the value, the more treble you can bleed off the signal. Most F-style guitars these days use 0.022uF. Try 0.1uF, the value Fender used on his first solid bodies. It'll get considerably darker when you pull down the tone knob. It might be just the ticket for you.

Omar from ST likes this.
  15. Omar from ST

Great info here, I appreciate your input! I'm ignorant when it comes to modding. I have three years of experience, so I'm still new :D cap = pot? If I'm going to mod it, I'd also go for 4-way control. Since it's my only guitar, I'll adjust both pickups' height and see the difference.

16. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

I had an early U.S. made ASAT for a long while. I would say that rather than bright, the pickups are hi-fi. They are kind of like hi-fi P-90s. I could never quite get used to them, so I gave the guitar to a friend who loves it.

Pechorin and Omar from ST like this.
  17. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

MFDs are definitely bright. There's always a way to get a darker sound (e.g., rolling off the treble or using an EQ pedal). If that doesn't get you where you want they are sensitive to height adjustment.

Omar from ST likes this.
  18. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Cap=capacitor. It’s the component that rolls off the treble to ground via the tone pot.

You will require some soldering knowledge to change it. But first, you should find out what value you currently have. Take the plate off, and take a pic of the cap, and post it here. We need to see the numbers and/or letters on it.

4-way control, as in adding a serial configuration?

Omar from ST likes this.
  19. Omar from ST

Thank you! I will do that this weekend.

My soldering skills suck :oops:

Yes, adding a serial configuration. It seems complicated since it requires soldering.

20. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

Soldering is easier than you think. You can just get a cheap soldering iron, you don’t need a fancy station. Get something bigger in the pen style soldering iron, maybe 45W, so can solder grounds on the pots (they start at 15W, I think). Watch some videos in YouTube - done. Don’t forget a soldering flux an solder.

But start with some pics of what you have.

Here is my 4-way switch schematic in a crude form. The switch part number I use is on the schematic (although, retail is $10).

Attached Files:

Omar from ST likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.