G&L Magnetic Field Design single-coils

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Gravel Road, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

The neck pickup on this G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic has a metal base plate just like the bridge pickup. Does the base plate cause the magnetic field design they talk about in their description of this guitar. And, what is a magnetic field design? It is not broken so I am not going to fix it. G&L guitar 1.jpg

tah1962 likes this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

It's part of the design, how much effect it has on it's own I don't know .... IIRC they have a ceramic bar in there and adjustable poles, so it's more like a half a humbucker in it's design than a traditional single coil with rod magnets.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, the MFDs are essentially ceramic bar magnets on the base and the adjustable pole pieces are cast iron. Hence, they have a sort of unique sound. I happen to like them for a slightly dirty sound that’s different than the traditional alnicos.

tah1962 likes this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I had a 2003 G&L S-500 a few years ago and ended up selling it. I tried to like the MFD pickups but I guess they just weren’t for me. They definitely have a unique sound and I agree they sound better slightly dirty vs. clean.

She was a beauty though.

upload_2020-3-10_10-23-46.jpeg

8barlouie and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Totally off-topic, but I love how G&L puts that mini-toggle on the S-500 to turn on the bridge pickup...I did something similar with a push/pull potentiometer on my Strat...

tah1962 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.