1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G&L Legacy vs Players Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by spurgie79, Sep 29, 2020.

1. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Just curious who likes what and why? The features look to be about the same and the Player is about $500 less. I'm wanting a black/maple Strat and I prefer the 9.5" fretboard.

It kind of makes me wonder how Fender views G&L since they're technically competition?

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

You're probably talking about the G&L Tribute Legacy as the USA G&Ls are much more $$.
    I've picked up several of the Tribute Legacy and played them, they seem solid and played well, although most were pretty heavy.
    Used Tribute G&Ls don't seem to have a lot of resale value.

Just play both if you can and see what you think.

Cali Dude and spurgie79 like this.
  3. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you're talking about a Fullerton-made Legacy, the quality is absolutely top-notch, even considering the price point. One major difference is whether you go with Alnico pups or the G&L MFDs. They definitely sound different, but I like both, and if you play with lots of drive or distortion, the differences might not matter much.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had both a USA Legacy and a MIM Player. The Legacy (USA) is a wonderful quality instrument and even though they look like a Strat I find them different in sound and feel. It really depends on what you like and how important $500 is. If it were me I would find a Legacy used in great shape, it will hold its value well. You should have no problem finding something you like for under a grand.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would sell it if you can make a few bucks.
    [​IMG]

6. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I'm out of the country right now and I have some guitar $$$ saved for when I get home. I was just browsing the Sweetwater sight and looking at possibilities. I'm not into building parts casters anymore so I want something I can go with out of the box.

7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I have never played the Tribute models by G&L. However, I have had 3 really nice US built G&L's. They are great instruments. If it were me, I would look at the Comanche if you are going for a strat sound.

spurgie79 likes this.
  8. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Disclaimer - I've never played the Player version of the Strat so I have no first hand experience with them. I can only go by my prior experience with MIM Strats.

I own two G&L Tribute Legacys - one SSS and one HSS model and I prefer them over any MIM Strat I've played for two specific reasons. First I find G&L's PTB system to be far more useful than the standard Strat controls, although I believe the Player series has a somewhat different control system than traditonal Strats.

The second is the trem system. G&L's trem system works really well and I vastly prefer it to the Fender 6-point system which I really dislike. I have an old MIM strat with a 6-point trem and I ended up decking it because I hated it so much. However, again I believe that the Player series has somewhat addressed that by switching to some type of a 2-point trem.

I also have a MIA Strat which I like a lot. It was a FSR model finished in Aztec Gold with Fat '50s pickups. The trem works well, the finish looks stunning, and it sounds glorious. For me that one is a keeper but the MIM one is going to be donated some day to a kid who is starting out and really wants to play a Strat.

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Player Strat has basically the same 2 point tremolo bridge as USA models differences are zinc block vs steel, the stamped saddles aren't as nice as USA saddles.

10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Holic

I own a Fullerton Standard Legacy and the build is top notch. The series was meant to be a basic set of choices in comparison to the vast array of options available through the usual ordering process with a USA built G&L. Build and finish is excellent and I daresay compared to my new Am Pro Tele it plays slightly better although both play wonderfully and have become my No 1 and No 2 guitars. The hype about the Dual Fulcrum Vibrato is real, extremely smooth and stable, a Leo Fender work of art.

I haven't played a MIM newer than a 2017 and while it was good the USA Legacy is heads and shoulders better. Some say the recent Player MIMs are an improvement over 2017 but I can't comment on that.

One heads up: a Legacy is slightly longer than a Fender Stratocaster due to the headstock and neck fitment. If you buy one of the versions that comes with a gig bag and decide you want a hard case you will have to ensure you are getting one long enough if you don't buy straight from G&L.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  11. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

The inexpensive 'tweed' cases Thomann sells are fine. I bought one for my Tribute ASAT which wouldn't fit into my genuine Fender case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.