G&L I'm impressed

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Uncle Butch, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

A buddy of mine is thinking about selling his G&L ASAT Classic Tele. He gave it to me to see what I thought of it after he did a setup on it. He has all the case candy with it and it looks like he bought it new in '08. The note at the bottom of the receipt says Butterscotch Blond and below that humbucker. I didn't know they made a humbucker model. Anyway it sounds awesome, not a classic Tele sound, more like a Tele on steroids. Really full and sweet, and the birdseye maple neck is perfect for me. Anybody else have one or played one? What's your take on them?

2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I have a 2017 asat classic in butterscotch. It currently has a sd antiquity in the bridge and mfd in the neck. It's a great guitar great build quality. The neck is pretty plain has about 3 birdseye on it. The radius on mine is really flat...12". Do you have any pictures of the asat? Is it two humbuckers?

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If it sounds like a Tele on steroids ... are the pickups set high, close to the strings?
    You can try lowering.

INFANT and skunqesh like this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I’ve never played one but I’ve always wanted to. It’s a Fender from after Fender sold Fender. :)

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It appears he likes it that way.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Cant go wrong with a G&L in your arsenal.

coloradojeff and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I've got an S-500 with the MFD pickups that I use for sessions. After I got it, a review described it as a Strat that has been fine-tuned and made ready for sessions right out of the box and that is the way it has functioned for me. Not hot-rodded but a super-real sounding Strat that is hard to get a bad sound out of.

Bob

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Evolutionary spawn of a great original design ... Leo progressed ...

coloradojeff and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  9. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

+1 for George and Leo,

Just curious - What's the neck profile feel like?

I've got a G&L from the mid 80s, and altho it's pretty much a standard ASAT set up, the neck is something like a thin D profile, so it feels nothing like a classic Tele.
    It does, however, sound great. Some of the best clean tones I've ever come across.

2 Headed Goat and aerhed like this.
  10. Default

Default TDPRI Member

I just picked up a Will Ray Signature, one of the Tribute series. I have not the slightest clue how to use the B bender, but it's fun trying! Really nice guitar, I can only image what one of the USA made WR's is like to play. I keep looking at the Doheny...

Digital Larry likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

They are great.

The pickups are MFDs, which are constructed more like a small Gibson P-90 pickup than like a Fender pickup. They have strong ceramic magnets and adjustable steel poles, so they have a lot of sensitivity/output...but they have weak winds (e.g. about 4K for the neck pickup). It's my favorite pickup recipe IME: snappy and clear, but with balls.

You oughta try an S-500! It's the Strat equivalent, using MFD versions of Strat pickups.

12. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

The pickups look like single coils, but the guys receipt said humbucker. Does G&L make a Stacked single coil? I'm not real familiar with G&L so that's why I'm asking. The neck radius seems pretty flat, maybe 12"? Like I said it's a fatter sound than any Fender Tele I own. Sounds slightly fatter than my AVRI '52 Hot Rod. The build quality is top shelf, very well done. I wish I was looking to buy another Tele, I'd jump on it like a dog on a bone.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, G&L doesn't do a stacked humbucker. Can you post some photos of this one? That would be helpful.

At any rate G&L's pickups are called "magnetic field design" or "MFD", something that Leo came up with for G&L when he started that company after leaving Music Man (he was a partner in Music Man after his non-compete with CBS/Fender was up in the mid-70s; after a falling out with his partners at Music Man he started G&L). The MFD pickups are somewhat similar to Gibson P90 pickups in that they have a bar magnet under the coil instead of magnetized polepieces. They have a unique sound that is beefier than a Fender single coil.

G&L has a lot of neck options available; the number of options and which one was the "standard" neck have varied over the years. The current "standard" neck is pretty similar to a Fender American Standard neck in depth with a 9.5" radius - but that neck starts in mid-2015. From roughly 2006-mid-2015 the standard neck was vintage-width, a bit thicker like an AV '65 Strat neck, and it did have a 12" radius. Plus G&L has been using pretty much jumbo frets for decades now.

I'm not sure why the receipt would say "humbucker" - G&L does have a stock model called the "ASAT Classic Bluesboy" that comes with a neck humbucker, but it seems like the receipt would have said "Bluesboy" instead of "humbucker" if it was one of them. Plus that would also mean that the owner changed the neck humbucker out for the MFD single coil.

boris bubbanov and Uncle Butch like this.
  14. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Thanks John C. I'm guessing the pickups are MFD's. Like I said, i don't know much about G&L, but I figured the best place to find out was right here. Lots of great info here thanks.

15. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I've got an ASAT Classic (1992) and original ASAT (1987) (like an ASAT Special, i.e., with large MFD pickups) and love both of them. IMO the ASAT Classic sounds best dialed back 15-20% on both the volume and tone. Which is nice because you can reserve a little "juice" for when you need it. On both of my ASATs the pickups are very responsive to being dialed back to control gain and overdrive in the amp.

As has been said, you can't go wrong with G&L (particularly USA models, though most Tribute owners seem extremely happy as well) but you need to be sure the neck is something you like because they came in so many variations and options over the years. For example I personally don't care for a flat radius on a Fender-scale board and therefore sold a nice Legacy I had with a 12" radius. All my G&Ls now have 7.5" radius - I really like the feel of the curved board.

2 Headed Goat and Uncle Butch like this.
  16. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I've tried lowering the MFD pickups on my G&Ls to experiment with the tone but I always returned to having them set high, close to the strings (as is directed in G&Ls setup manual). To get less oomph I turn down the guitar's volume control.

I've never experienced "Strat-itis" from having the MFD pickups too close - what's stopped me from raising them more is the risk of physical contact with the strings. Because the magnet is a bar on the bottom of the pickup rather than the pole pieces, you can run the pickups closer to the top of the pickup without the magnetic pull influencing sting vibration (i.e., Strat-itis).

17. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I have a G&L Asat Classic S with the MFD Asat pickups in the neck and bridge positions and a S-500 pickup in the middle position.

I also describe it as a telecaster on steroids, these pickups are nice and clear but still a fat tone with muscle. The adjustable pole pieces are a great feature on these pickups.

The Asat is my number one and sounds nice in the mix. I like the pickups so much, I got a set of Asat pickups for my MIM telecaster and a set of S-500 pickups for my American Special Strat. :)

Uncle Butch likes this.
  18. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

i just got one in swamp ash and it plays great!

coloradojeff and boris bubbanov like this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got 2 of the USA ASAT Classics, from slightly before then. One is ash, the other alder.

I'd pop the pickguard out of there and see if there's a rout for a HB. That might explain the info. And if so a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover neck HB could be installed (with some wiring and cap tweaks) and you'd have a Blues Boy. That's the G + L model that's got the hot hand - only model that really retains resale value well.

To me, the difference between the Fullerton made, custom fitted product and the "Tribute" reproduction, is night and day and most anyone, once accustomed to the USA model, cannot fall back to the import replica. Even though the Tributes are not normally junk. They're just not credible G + Ls is all.

20. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Especially the old school Leo-era ones... IMG_20001226_111834.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.