G&L Espada

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TG, Jul 11, 2020.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Just saw this on Reverb.com and I now have a mild headache.

I'm always interested in the whole aesthetic thing and WHY certain things look good and others don't. The shape of Strats and Les Pauls for instance and how they still look just right to most people. The flow of the lines and the balance.
    But most other models, even though they can look nice and have their fans, don't have it to the same extent.

Then there is this thing which, to me, should be cool to look at with the curves and things, but altogether gives me the uncomfortable feeling that my eyes aren't focused. And, somehow, the bridge seems like it's too far left and the strings are curving towards it.
    It's kind of train-wreck fascinating.

ixtg8mgx7rzyclnwrakk.jpg
    vdwyoxv9jpq1dpkqis1b.jpg

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It’s kind of cool

I’m not sure about that control plate though

I wonder if you can control each side of the pickups

That would be cool to have the bass side on the neck pickup and the treble of the bass on

rangercaster, Digital Larry and Deeve like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Can the plate flip to convert for LH use?
    - Asking for a friend

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like it, and I see what you’re saying—over abundance of flowing lines, maybe, in contrast with stodgy big block (square) inlays.

I’m sick of Strats and maple capped LPs to be honest. The Strat is actually a funny looking instrument. LPs are merely pulling from what came before and shrinking it down. I thought I’d come around in older age but nah, still avoid them because they are the epitome of generic electric guitar to me. And everyone actually.

My first electric was a ‘82 SC-1 and I wanted it to be a Jazzmaster/Strat, so it was modded. I was proud of it being a real Fender but I couldn’t accept it for what it was. I ruined that guitar. In my mind the SC-1 needed a pickguard, and it ended up looking like the OP guitar.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It's not set up to split the pickups; it has G&L's "PTB" (Passive Treble Bass) so the pots are volume, treble roll-off, bass roll-off. The large toggle is for pickup switching, one mini-toggle is a series/parallel switch and the other is a 3-way to control an on-board preamp - so you get off/on/on with an added treble boost.

Evidently this was a design Leo was working on at CLF Research - when Leo sold Fender to CBS the deal included a 10-year non-compete clause and a 5-year consulting agreement (which ran concurrently - the consulting deal covered the first 5 years of the 10-year non-compete). According to G&L Leo was working on this design in 1969 - so it was right around the time the consulting deal ended in December 1969 (or maybe early January 1970; Leo signed Fender over to CBS the first week in January 1965).

Leo started working with Tom Walker and Forrest White on what would become Music Man around 1973 - they brought Leo their amp design and had him consult on it; he liked what they were doing so he invested in the company but they had to keep that under wraps until 1975 when the non-compete expired. Music Man as a company owned their amp factory; when they added instruments Leo expanded CLF Research into an instrument factory and produced the MM guitars and basses as an OEM supplier (like how FujiGen built MIJ Fenders in the 1980s, etc.). When Leo parted ways with Music Man he continued to build MM instruments under the contract but he also started G&L; for about a year (part of 1980, part of 1981) CLF Research built both MM and G&L instruments; the contract to do MMs ended early in 1981 and Leo "retired" the CLF Research name and the company was only known as G&L Guitars.

Before Leo died he arranged for John McLaren/BBE Sound to purchase G&L upon his death; that included all assets of CLF Research going back to 1965 that of course weren't done for Fender, Music Man or any other company he did work for. So G&L got this prototype with a bizarre preamp that was powered by 6 AA batteries; they basically completed work on it and made it a viable model, the Espada (the modern preamp is powered by a 9-volt).

G&L's page on the Espada: http://glguitars.com/product/clf-research-espada/

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I like it. A lot. cuts like a knife. You can check it out on Youtube.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm kinda digging it! The pickups strangely match the block inlays.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Interesting!

Fretting out likes this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I like it,all except the bland headstock

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

A painted headstock would probably look seriously cool on this guitar.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those aren't common ...

But now I want one ...

Dang ....

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version, Please let there be a tribute branded version...

gitarzan likes this.
  13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

It's a G&L, which means you can order it however you want (within reason) and still have money left over for next month's rent.

Fretting out and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

drf64 likes this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

No Tribute version yet.

Unfortunately not on the Espada, plus G&L has moved away from their long-time business model of "everything is a custom order" to a more things "off the shelf" as their business model.

The Espada is part of their "CLF Research" series, which like the "Fullerton Standard" series means no options other than choosing from one of 4 color/pickuguard/fingerboard wood combinations.

It is not part of the "Option Order" series; if you want something other than the 4 color combos in the "CLF Research" series you will have to get one from their "Custom Shop", which could mean some serious money.

G&L has raised their prices also; you can't get a USA for less than $1,400 MAP now - that being a basic Legacy or ASAT Special - and they now come in a gig bag. Espadas are $1,899/$1,999 depending on which of the 4 combos you choose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.