G&L ASAT

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by superjam144, Jul 4, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

ASAT Special with a 1.75" nut neck and a no-inlay ebony fretboard. The pickups, as someone said above, are hi-fi -- P90s with a college degree. Great clean jazz sound on the neck pup.

sm_g4.jpg

2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I’m intrigued and am considering a Tribute Classic with MFDs. I’d probably upgrade the electronics to either a CRL 3-way or OG 4-way switch, CTS volume pot, a TBX, and a Switchcraft jack.

For some reason, I always thought a TBX would be appropriate for the Tele equivalent of the S500.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    superjam144 likes this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

My avatar shows a trans blue ASAT; outstanding guitar. It does have a different sound that my Teles but in an ok way, still plenty of twang to be had.

superjam144 likes this.
  4. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

I haven't owned an ASAT, but I do have a Legacy and three G&L basses. G&L makes incredible guitars that basically are as good as it gets.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

G&L makes outstanding guitars, but the ASATs have a different sound and feel than a Telecaster.

That's half the reason I sold mine. The MFDs sound fantastic (I have a Doheny and S500 fitted with them, and love them both), but I just couldn't get it to do that raw Tele snarl. The frequency response is very even and hi-fi. The pickups are interchangeable with Fenders so it would have been simple to swap them, but what I really wanted was a Tele so I sold the ASAT. I kind of regret doing it because it was a great guitar, but it wasn't what I wanted.

superjam144 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  6. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Had this since new in 96, its done buckets of work in that time, still my no1 guitar beasty.jpg

7. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just bought a used ASAT Classic Tribute not so long ago from a session guy outta Nashville and while I had to clean up the bridge & saddles, I haven’t played any of my other guitars since then. And while there’s a certain amount of shade usually thrown at the Tributes, I took this one on as a possible intro to the more expensive U.S. made models. I’ve really no complaints… other than I wish I’d gotten one sooner. Big surprise.

Love the MFD pickups and especially their “expanded” tone. Initially I thought I might rout and add a P-90 but now I’m leaving it alone. Eventually I may try an ASAT Junior II for the dual P-90s but I don’t think I’d sell this Tribute even if offered 2 or 3 times what I paid for it.

Get your hands (and ears) on one and check ‘em out.

https://glguitars.com/customshop/ Custom Shop GAS!

ASAT.png a.png b.png CTRL.png

Tall-Fir, zippofan, Dan R and 2 others like this.
  8. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

The ones I've played are really well put together, but I'm not big on the MFD pick-up.

superjam144 likes this.
  9. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

I own a ASAT Special Tribute (avatar pic). Just got it out again yesterday as I recently discovered that to get heard in our 6 piece band, I want to be @ the high end (treble and presence turned up on the amp).
    This cuts much more than my #1 (a strat classic vibe) and will also rock harder. MFD much fuller than traditional single coils, but still with that openness that hb’s lack.
    Have a go with one!

FenderGuy53 and superjam144 like this.
  10. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Here are my G&L guitars:

P1090526.JPG

And this is my go to guitar:

io8rwgzscpfwrltipkpu.jpg

Tall-Fir, FenderGuy53, Dan R and 5 others like this.
  11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

ASAT Special fan here. I have owned a tribute Semi-hollow in the past and now USA ‘95 solid body. MFD’s are great but honestly my favorite component is the saddle lock bridge. Great sustain and simply the most comfortable palm mute bridge around.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting that people commenting on G&L want to see a standard telecaster pickguard, or other standard telecaster features - Leo Fender was an innovator and he continued innovating at G&L. He wasn't going to rest on his past, it was not his nature.

13. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

Here is my orange G & L left handed ASAT classic reissue. G&L guitar.jpg

Tall-Fir, Dan R and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

Had a G&L ASAT USA with the Z-Coils that I traded away long ago. It was a fine guitar and what I thought was most impressive was the fit and finish of the neck and frets. The Z-Coils had a really idiosyncratic sound, I don't know what else I would even compare them to. Didn't do much for me clean but they sounded huge dirty. The neck was too slender, that was my only complaint.

superjam144 likes this.
  15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I agree. Fender has had those standard Tele models available for the last 70 years. They're not hard to find. G&L is for people who want something different.

16. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

I absolutely love my ASAT! You will not be disappointed I promise.

superjam144 likes this.
  17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I also agree. Does everyone know that Leo Fender didn't have anything to do with the design of first ASAT model, now called the ASAT Special? It's true - Dale Hyatt, head of sales at G&L (Dale was a higher-up in Don Randall's Fender Sales organization in the pre-CBS days who rejoined Leo when G&L was founded) kept getting requests for a Tele-styled G&L; Leo was always against it because he had moved on from his early models. Dale had the factory team work up a Tele-bodied prototype whenever Leo was on vacation or out of the office - the original Broadcaster/ASAT is basically the 2-pickup S2 model with the hard-tail Saddle Lock bridge but with a Tele-style body shape. When they had a working prototype they showed it to Leo, and he thought it was different enough from a Tele that he gave it his blessing and it went into production. It was Hyatt's idea to use the name "Broadcaster", fully expecting Gretsch to once again issue a cease-and-desist letter to generate publicity. The name changed to ASAT after that.

I'm not sure if Leo had much to do with the even-more Tele-esque ASAT Classic - by the time G&L developed them Leo was suffering from Parkinsons and was only in the office for a couple of hours 1-2 days a week. There in the last 12-18 months of his life we get the ASAT Classic and all the double-cut models move from Leo's "not-quite-a-Strat" shape to a "true" Strat shape; unfortunately I've never read anything as to whether Leo pushed for this change or if others made the change and Leo just decided to approve them, thinking that it would make it easier for BBE Sound to keep the company going - he had hand-picked BBE Sound to purchase the company upon his death.

18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve played a few ASAT’s and owned an S500. I couldn’t bond with the MFD pickups. YMMV.

superjam144 likes this.
  19. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's good to see that Sweetwater has started to carry them a few months ago!

FenderGuy53 and superjam144 like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What I have found is, with a guitar with Fender style single coils, you can use a very wide selection of amplifiers to a satisfying result.

But with my G + Ls (I have 5 of the USA ones, various MFDs) some of my amps just don't work well. I can't seem to dial in what I am looking for, for example, when I try to pair a Peavey Classic 50 with an ASAT Classic or Comanche (or especially my S-500). But I'm not going to sell either Peavey amp I have - because they can yield great results with Telecasters, Strats and so on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.