G&L ASAT

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by superjam144, Jul 4, 2020.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

What are your thoughts on the ASATs by George and Leo?

I have heard many great things about them, and the parts/build quality look amazing.

I am more interested in hearing about the tone, which from the videos I have watched shows a very different tone than a Fender model telecaster has. How are the pickups/humbuckers?

The used market has many great ASATs ready to ship. Thanks for any information. Pictures of your ASAT would be awesome too!

2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

No idea what they are like, but I really want one....

3. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I know, I gotta try one eventually. I love the legacy that is there. Leo named them after anti satellite missiles I guess. :) He was one cool dude.

po-boy and Fretting out like this.
  4. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

I had an ASAT Special back in the 90s. Rosewood with a black sparkle finish. I loved it, but unfortunately had to let it go in a time of need. The MFD pickups are just about my favorites out there and the build was fantastic. There is one on Reverb I would love to pull the trigger on but times are a bit too crazy for me to go dropping a grand on a new ax with plenty for me to play already here.

Deathray and superjam144 like this.
  5. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

B9BA47C7-002E-42F5-9944-3F622A07F3E7.jpeg BD3DF860-F973-4B3F-B8D9-309A4BFD6D2C.jpeg 834BFB1C-008F-4E79-ACBE-8B106EEFC6B8.jpeg
    This was an ASAT Tribute partscaster I had. 12” radius dark rosewood/maple neck, ash semi-hollow body, G&L made in USA cloth wired pickups, light as a feather and tone for dayzzz.

Old Plank, idjster, FrontPU and 4 others like this.
  6. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

Get one! The only drawback with G&Ls is that they tend to be heavy. The MFD pickups are a bit hotter and, some say, a bit more "hi-fi" than Fenders. Prices seem to have gone up, if anything, so make sure you're not being sold a Tribute -- a lot of the listings on Reverb do not mention Tribute in the subject (like this one: https://reverb.com/item/17313082-g-l-asat-classic-tobacco-sunburst), so you need to review the details. Also, while the quality of the hardware on the USA models is very good, I ended up swapping the ashtray bridge for a Gotoh -- no issues with intonation, but it's a lot more comfortable to mute with the latter.

superjam144 likes this.
  7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

esah7bppddbytdmuftr6.jpg

Old Plank, idjster, po-boy and 2 others like this.
  9. Injam

Injam TDPRI Member

MFD’s are good pickups. It’s all about the amplifier anyway.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They’re great, incredibly well made guitars!
    The do not sound, or play like a traditional Tele.
    The bridge pickups sound more mid-rangey, IMO.
    I really like the neck pickups on them.
    They sound full and clear.
    ASAT’s stay in tune really well, too.
    Great stuff!

Old Plank, frank a, 8barlouie and 2 others like this.
  11. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

frank a and superjam144 like this.
  12. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir TDPRI Member

So sorry, but I don’t move my photos around well.

I have 4 G&L Classic ASATs. Love everything about them.

They are meticulously manufactured.

Frankie and superjam144 like this.
  13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That's not a really fantastic price on that one - it would have been $1,400 new. On the plus side since it's a 2019 it has the G&G hard case; 2020 Fullerton Deluxes now come in a gig bag (which from the photos at least looks like a nice gig bag, more like a PRS gig bag than a Fender gig bag).

You should note that this one, like all Fullerton Deluxes, has G&L's "Modern Classic" neck - so the shape is going to be very similar to a Fender Modern C like you'll find on American Standards, American Specials and American Performers, so if you want a thicker neck than that you should look for one with one of G&L's other neck carves.

I've had a couple of G&Ls; one was a 2002 ASAT Special Deluxe that I custom ordered (well, I picked the color, made sure it had black pickup covers, and I spent $25 to upgrade from the plastic case to the tolex case). This is one of about 3 guitars I've owned and sold that I wish I had back - the neck shape they were using back than was pretty much a Modern C but with a 1.625" nut width:

[​IMG]

I also had a 2008 ASAT Classic Custom - a model they don't make any more that was an ASAT Classic with a big MFD neck pickup like an ASAT Special - I couldn't get rid of that one quickly enough; the neck carve they used from 2004-mid 2015 was a chunky C more like say an American Original 60s Strat or Tele neck. Sorry, no photos of that one either on this device or uploaded to my imgur account.

brookdalebill and superjam144 like this.
  14. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

ASAT would be perfect were it not for that wonky looking rounded edge on the pickguard (lower left hand quadrant) -- i suppose that could be drilled and then fitted for a new guard.

superjam144 likes this.
  15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I disagree. I've played different pickups through the same amp and hated some and loved the others. The amp is simply a control to test the tone on.

I feel like the pickups are super important to the tone of a guitar.

beyer160 likes this.
  16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I guess the alnico would be the one to get.

17. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

The alnico ASAT looks just like a tele, but the bridge seems easier to intonate, individual brass saddles.

images.jpeg

My only issue is that the pickups might not cut like a fender.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  18. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

you know it's a shame i have never played one myself but i do like how their 6 saddle bridges look.

i think most of us here on the forum just instinctively want to see the 3 barrel bridge on everything that isn't an Am Std. but, if i recall correctly, there was a time in the 70s when Fender was shipping all teles with the old "6 hammers" style vintage bridge, too. just a different set of expectations.

have you tried an EQ or a treble booster? i've been trying to get away from constantly swapping out pickups so these are my new solutions. YMMV

19. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

As a long time G&L player, they are superb. I find nothing negative about them. Great wood, great electronics. After all it's what Leo was doing at the end - perfecting the Telecaster (in his mind). My oldest is a 1991 and my newest a 2004. I recently sold my 2019 when I picked up another Telecaster. The American builds are as good as T-Style guitars get and the Indonesian ones (different than most, if not all, T-Style foreign builds) use American electronics and are assembled in Indonesia. That's why, to me, the best deal in the industry are the Tribute models. I don't currently own any Tributes but they are great. My ASAT Classic 'S' is incredible. It is the T-Style guitar with 3 (a la Nashville) pickups. No Tele sound I can't get. Also there is no singular ASAT sound. They come with MFD pickups as well as Alnico and even humbuckers.

Telecastoff1 and superjam144 like this.
  20. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

That alnico asat in sonic blue is amazing. I don't doubt how amazing they are. I guess the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one is that I love my current am pro with ovs... Just curious about these G&Ls. My brother told me about the company.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.