G&L Asat Z-3. No push/pull

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Edgewood, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Edgewood

Edgewood TDPRI Member

Hi guys I bought a Swamp Ash Asat Z-3 Saturday but it does not have the push/pull pot. Were these made by G&L without the pot? The price was so good I could not walk away.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Pictures please!!
    I thought they all came with the push-pull — easy enough to fit of course.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I suggest trying to contact G&L directly - they should be able to tell you the details of the guitar based on the serial number. I don't have a contact email for them; it should be on their website.

Also post this over on the guitarsbyleo.com forum - that's the official G&L forum; their webmaster isn't a G&L employee but he's got multiple connections at the factory and can probably help you out.

suave eddie likes this.
  4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Is there a toggle switch? I thought they either had a toggle or a push/pull.
    Like John C said, post at the G&L forum. The knowledgeable fanatics over there will be able to help.

5. Edgewood

Edgewood TDPRI Member

Sorry AAT65, I don't know how to post a pic.

John C, thanks for the info I will check it out.

Eddie, No toggle either. Pulled the plate and everything looks factory.

6. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

As far as I know it’s the S500s that have the push pull pots.

Bob

7. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

ASAT Z-3s have them as well: http://glguitars.com/product/asat-z-3/

What year is the model in question? If it's all original parts maybe this wasn't the case for early models.

But as mentioned, they'll know on the G&L forum.

9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

It could have been a special order, although I don't know why anyone would special order that. I have a Comanche, and I can tell you that the push/pull (it's a switch on the Comanche) to get the other pickup combinations is REALLY useful - so I would strongly advise adding it.

Wish we could see the guitar - ASAT Z-3s are cool!

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, the push-pull gets you the neck+bridge combination (as well as all three pups).

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

That's odd. I have a US made Z-3 asat, and it has the push pull on it for neck/bridge, or all 3 pickups. I would ask the dealer, and call G&L. That's weird.

12. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

That's weird that it doesn't have a push/pull pot but maybe the person who originally bought it ordered it that way.

I have a few Tribute models with push/pull pots, the weirdest of which is an Ascari GTS HB3 - 3 humbuckers, 3-3 headstock, 24.75 inch scale neck, and a control system I can never remember how to operate. A very strange offering from G&L.

Ascari.jpg

13. Edgewood

Edgewood TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the reply's I sent a message to G&L with the serial number asking if it came with or without the Push/Pull.

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. Edgewood

Edgewood TDPRI Member

Can I tell how old the guitar is by the serial #? It starts with CLF11XXX.

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They should be able to tell you the age; until they went to their current system of serial numbers in February 2017 G&L serial numbers were somewhat semi-sequential and somewhat randomized - like Fender was with the neck plate serial numbers back in the day (and on the AVRI models). I think somewhere on guitarsbyleo.com someone put up one of those "serial number range" charts that could get you an approximate year. The Z3 model starts in 1998, and they switch over from "CLXXXXX" serial numbers to "CLFXXXXX" numbers during 1999 so 1999/2000s are mixed between the two formats. Since the numbers are random I would hazard a guess that it could be a 1999, 2000 or 2001 build but you would probably have to remove the neck and check the dates to verify that. I also think that they would have used up all the "CLF11XXX" decals either by or before 2001, but older decals seem to pop up at random on later models - G&L liked to use everything up.

Oh - I'm assuming from the number of digits the serial number is a decal on the headstock - if it's on a metal plate on the headstock (although those should be "CLF" followed by 6 digits instead of 4) then it would be from 2011-2016. The metal plates had "Made In Fullerton CA USA" embossed on them, so under California's product labeling laws of 2016 they had to remove that line because the instruments would have had to have 95% of the raw material, parts and labor sourced from inside California to say "Made In California" (and 90-95% of the raw material, parts and labor sourced inside the USA to say "Made in USA"); G&Ls, like Fenders and EBMMs have roughly 85% USA raw material, parts and labor. G&L went back to the waterslide decals in mid-2016, then in February 2017 they start laser etching the serial numbers on the back of the headstocks, and the numbers are encoded as CLFYYMMxxx - the CLF prefix, followed by 2 digits for the year, followed by 2 digits for the month in the year, followed by a sequential serial number of at least 3 digits. So a September 2020 G&L serial number would be "CLF2009xxx" format.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.