1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G&L ASAT Tribute Classic Review and Fender Comparison??

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dirtytricks, Jul 8, 2012.

1. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

G&L ASAT Tribute Classic Review and Fender Comparison??

Cool, thanks! I've just played other neck p90s in Teles and they were very present and more aggressive than the one in my ASAT. I might do some fiddling with it, maybe switch to a 500k pot to see if it makes a difference.

2. mapleleaf14

mapleleaf14 TDPRI Member

FWIW, I have 7 various G&L ASAT's now from a standard ASAT Classic to a Deluxe to a Bluesboy Semi-Hollow, etc. and all are Tribute Series (the newer ones that say G&L on the headstock instead of the large Tribute logo) and they are all fantastic guitars, especially for the money. (All Indonesia made)

I haven't had a single thing wrong with any of them and I'd actually say that fit & finish are every bit as good as your basic standard USA Tele's - at least the ones I own or have played at local shops.

The only thing I have ever had to do (other basic setup stuff) is slightly enlarge some nut slots because I play 11-49 gauge strings.

You can get some insane deals on Tributes if you look around. A couple weeks ago I picked up another butterscotch ASAT Classic blackguard brand new with gig bag for $259 to leave in Open G. My most recent was the sunburst Bluesboy Semi-Hollow with bag for $379. I put a DiMarzio PAF 36th Ann. humbucker in that one...I love all the G&L pickups except for their "standard" humbucker so any I have with those usually get replaced fairly quickly, but the big MFD's and the single coils like in the ASAT Classic are awesome IMO.

They definitely have a "different" sound than a normal Tele - more fullness is how I describe it, especially the standard ASAT model with the "larger" MFD pickups...I have one with those and I have another that has Rio Grande pickups under the original MFD covers and both are two of my favorite guitars.

I wouldn't have just an ASAT as my only Tele, but I definitely have no problem owning a bunch (obviously!) - they are every bit as good, if not better, than any MIM Tele I've owned or still own.

The only Fender Tele's I own that I would consider better quality would be my Kotzen Signature Tele or maybe my CIJ Tele.

All that being said, the American ASAT's I've played are very, very nice but I probably wouldn't buy one new because IMO they just seem to lose a lot of resale value, but if I found a great deal on a used one I would probably jump on it.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know a couple guys who fell hard for those Korean built ones, but I was offered a batch of those for a super low price and couldn't bond to any of them so I passed. I would say that while a few of the Cort Korea Tributes were nice, the Surabaya guitars are on average better built and present better and "seem" a little more like the USA models. And, I'd say dollar for dollar the Indonesian ones are more guitar for the money.

I sometimes think if they went back to the huge TRIBUTE decal I could own one without a sense I was posing as the owner of a Fullerton guitar. That's one thing I really prefer about the early Korean ones - just an honest open reminder to anyone looking on, these are sui generis. Good, sometimes very good guitars that just aren't good G + Ls if that translates.

4. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I think it produces a great lead tone. When coupled with overdrive, it's got that classic creamy tone you expect from a lead. When clean, it's a bit dark but still maintains a full sound. Thumbs up here!

5. brentg

brentg TDPRI Member

I picked up a G&L Asat Tribute Junior II, Its the p90 model, build quality seems good, played ok out of box but the fretwork was rough, nut was tall and not cut well, setup action, intonation, minor adjustments, some elbow grease needed but now plays well, not much tele twang, does new driven country well, decent LP JR sounds, fits well in what I was looking for.

Nice blend of Kalamazoo and Fullerton, good bang for the buck.

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I love my Tribute Bluesboy. Love it. But I've upgraded it some. SD Jazz in the neck, Cavalier Fat Lion bridge, CTS pots, a Fender CRL switch, Switch craft jack. I bought used and am into it less that the price of a new one. It's a VERY nice one piece swamp ash body. I have a killer USA legacy too, a 1993. That guitar has a beefier neck, and the frets seem harder or more wear resistant. But tonally my Bluesboy just kills.

Attached Files:

7. david henman

david henman Tele-Holic

...couldn't agree more - i have played pricey custom shop teles that don't even come close to a tribute series asat
    i have decided to start collecting these gems
    my first was a Korean g&l tribute series special that i snagged for $300 cdn
    that was five years ago and i still swoon when i plug this guitar in
    next was a tribute series invader - again, $300 cdn
    i'm selling it because i don't like humbuckers but, unless i get $500, i'll keep it and shop for humbucker size p90s or filtertrons
    the third is an indonesian asat classic - $400 cdn
    again, my teles just don't come close

the only question is, how much better can the american made versions be??
    i just cannot find anything resembling a flaw on these tribute series models

that said, i did play an indonesian tribute series legacy and an s-500 that were substandard, but i am not a fan of the g&l trem system anyway

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.