1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G&L ASAT Tribute Classic - locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by krb813, Aug 18, 2020.

1. krb813

krb813 TDPRI Member

I'm looking for locking tuners for a ASAT Tribute Classic. Any recommendations?

2. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I put these Hipshots on my G&L's. The G&L tuners use mounting pins like Fender tuners, and the pins/spacing can vary between models. The Hipshots mount on a plate that don't require screws or pins, so don't require drilling into the headstock.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...exmaG_GPzj-H7gC1e93_Xhsl8sRFP6HsaAmtXEALw_wcB

Spacing on the plate's holes is just a little shorter than spacing on the G&L headstock. I just open one end of the plate with a pair of diagonal cutters to allow the plate to slide a few millimeters, works fine.

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those only fit the USA models; the Tributes have different tuners sourced from whomever manufactures them for G&L. Ones that fit have been listed on guitarsbyleo.com, but it's a real pain to do a search on that forum since their software is antiquated, and the forum administrator is kind of a pill about saying "do a search" instead of helping you find the info - never mind that only someone who can write SQLs or old school boolean search protocols can find anything on that site.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Sorry missed that you said Tribute.

That's unfortunate they're different. This is a somewhat silly thing to be different.

6. krb813

krb813 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

7. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

G&L Tributes are really good, but they don't match USA G&L's in several respects, including pick guards and tuners. Most use the same pickups as domestic models. Stupid Deal, limited edition, etc. models do not, in my experience.

Steerforth likes this.
  8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Anything that will fit and has an 18:1 ratio.

9. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Kiesels were mentioned on the G&L forum

EspyHop likes this.
  10. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I fitted G&L locking tuners on my ASAT Special Tribute.

The original tuners and G&L locking tuners have different pin placement - I had to drill am extra hole per tuner, pretty easy.

If you check the G&L web site, their locking tuners were extremely affordable when I bought mine (much less so once you factor in USA import to UK tax) but still, comparable to Schaller tuners bought from anywhere else, which is what the G&L are.

In the pic below, you can see the 2 outer pin holes are the original non locking tuners pins. Here I've marked all new pin holes and drilled 2 already in the middle of the 2 pins.

[​IMG]

Here, all holes drilled, 3 tuners installed.

[​IMG]

It's dumb, but I like those tuners being branded G&L, and they were as expensive as any other reputable bread with full steel/metal construction.

They probably even are really good value in the states.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    SuprHtr likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

But.

The Tribute is chocked full of components that are different because the sourcing is different. I smile when G + L says in some instances the Tribute pickups, bridges are from the same source as the ones used in the USA models. That's an inventive way of saying every single other thing on the entire guitar, are from mismatched sources. Folks try to fit a Tribute neck on a California body (or vice versa) and the sounds of weeping and gnashing of teeth are heard. Until you think about it and recall that G + L probably doesn't want mix matching of these parts, in the first place.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I just bought one of the Stupid Deal Tribute Bluesboys the other day because Guitar Center was blowing them out for $279. I figured I’d use it as a mod platform.

It came through with a G&L AS4255C humbucker in the neck, same as they offer as a custom shop option, and the USA Alnico single coil in the bridge. I was surprised.

I do my own lutherie work, and was sort of waiting with a malicious grin on my face to criticize everything about the guitar, preparatory to butchering it for mods.

I couldn’t find anything to criticize. Once again, I was surprised. I went over the thing with a fine tooth comb trying to find something to complain about, but there wasn’t anything.

The only thing that I can think of to quibble about is that the AS4255C humbucker could be a little clearer, to my ears. But I’ve got piles of caps, so I’ll play around and see if I can sweeten it up a bit. But it doesn’t sound bad, I’m just being picky.

I might change the pots, too. To install CTS pots, I’ll either have to drill the plate or buy another one. The holes aren’t the same.

But I was overall very impressed with the guitar for a cheapy. I don’t know if I just got very lucky, or if the Indonesia factory is seriously getting their act together. But at the price I paid, man! That was a deal in my opinion!

SuprHtr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.