G&L ASAT Special

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jackson753, Mar 27, 2019.

1. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Nice ASAT!

I agree, that's unusual. One of the attractive features of G&Ls is the variability in details - makes them feel unique and more fun to talk about. :)

Here I disagree. That's a bicut neck in the photo. You can see the seam down the center where the woodgrain doesn't match. I had a 4-bolt Legacy from the same era (1997-98, which is the transition era from 3 bolt to 4 bolt) and it had a bicut neck. I've read that G&L stopped producing the bicut necks at some point, but it was more recent than 1997-98.

Enjoy your guitar! You'll be amazed at the tones you can wrangle out of those MFDs, and the sustain, comfort, solid feel, and adjustability of that bridge.

Jackson753 likes this.
  2. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Perhaps they had the crinkle black hardware lying around used it up on a newer build beyond 95? It comes with the original hardcase. As I said earlier it was the semi hollow Tribute that lead me to this. I don't normally like black but this is an exception. It has has an understated appeal to me with this model.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes can you elaborate please.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

On top of what John is saying (which I agree with), the quirk or special extra effort (depending on your perspective) of a California made G + L is, they really really custom fit each neck to each body. You IMO cannot just swap the necks here and there, as I enjoy doing with the Fender or Fender-type instruments.

So even if Musikraft were to make the basic neck (which ain't cheap), then you have to custom fit the neck to the old body, and the cost of doing all this pretty much exceeds the trade value of the instrument. If it was a car, they'd call this a Constructive Total Loss. You could be better off just buying another used USA G + L.

I've seen a few used G + Ls with evidently swapped necks (one in Atascadero comes to mind) and the result looked sketchy. So, what I am saying is not an Absolute inability to replace a neck, but a practical inability. If you have time, get G + L in Fullerton on the phone and find out how much they charge for a (nonwarranty) replacement neck, and all the shipping both ways since they have to fit the new neck. It will knock your socks off.

+

I remember chewing the fat with Tommy Rosamond (back when USACG was good) and asked him about making G + L necks and come to think of it, he basically told me what I wrote above - he's a wonderful guy but 100% was not interested in manufacturing replacement G + L necks.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Let me also say nice ASAT - interesting that it has the black crinkle hardware for a later-model G&L.

This is correct - G&L used the Bi-Cut neck until they got their first CNC. I think the transition year was 2006 - they went from the Bi-Cut neck to one where they insert the truss rod under the fingerboard (both a slab rosewood and a slab maple).

With G&L anything is possible - they could have had some leftovers, or they could have done a run for something and made them available as an option, etc. For example they are currently using black crinkle control plates on the CLF Research Skyhawks.

6. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

To be honest, I didn't look at the photos that carefully. I just had (in my tiny mind), the thought that they discontinued the bi cut neck much earlier than that. I'll certainly agree with your words about the MFD's and the bridge.

7. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

IMO blacked-out ASATs are visually distinctive, slick-looking guitars that harken back to the design of the original Broadcaster in 1986 (before the cease and desist letter from Gretch inspired Leo, et al. to rename the model ASAT). I could be wrong, but from what I've seen, all of the original Broadcasters were blacked-out. Looks especially great with the maple fretboard. Nice figuring there, by the way.

Jackson753 likes this.
  8. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I think if I somehow damaged the neck on my old G&Ls (particularly my 1987 ASAT) I'd do whatever needed to get it repaired, and if it was damaged beyond repair (whatever that means - run over by a car? falls into a wood chipper?) then I'd call it a loss and seek out a different guitar while looking for a buyer for the crinkle pickguard, etc.

9. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I'm thinking the Tributes are all CNC bodies and necks. I've seen spare tribute necks on eBay there's 3 or 4 on eBay UK £90. The ASAT Special neck was £120 not sure why that was more?

10. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Has any one transplanted the bridge and pick ups etc...onto a Fender body? That could be away of salvaging a G&L with a broken neck?

Are the neck pockets smaller on a G&L than on a Fender? Or larger?

11. John C

As stated few times in this thread G&Ls have deeper/longer neck pockets because the necks have a "full" heel all the way down past the 22nd fret while Fenders have the 22nd fret on an overhang. I also believe that G&Ls have a 2 1/4" width at the heel while Fenders are 2 3/16" wide at the heel. I think that is correct - it's somewhere on the guitarsbyleo.com knowledgebase but I've never had luck searching that thing for a specific response.

12. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Thanks I really should have been paying more attention. So it sounds like G&L have a unique set up. I guess this was done as a progressive move? To improve the sound?

13. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I bought a blond ASAT Classic new in '94. 3 bolt neck. Never once gave that a thought. The wood choice and build quality was so fine. Flame maple neck, pretty. And it was really solid, seemed impervious to damage. I had another one, a later 4 bolt, that was essentially the same story. Can't see the need to worry about replacing necks on these.

And BTW, I'm in the market for a thinline ASAT Special ... have always been curious about those pickups.

14. John C

Leo started with the 22-fret neck and deeper neck pockets with the Music Man guitars in the 1970s - plus he was using the 3-bolt microtilt neck design he created (it was his last design for CBS/Fender under his 5-year consulting contract that was part of the sale). So it combined the extra fret reach and more stability - back then all 25 1/2" scale Fenders had 21 frets.

Leo continued to use/refine that design when he moved on from Music Man to found G&L in 1980.

15. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Much appreciated. I'm learning a lot regards Leo Fender and all of his creations. This subject is deeply immersive.
    YouTube exposure helped me to familiarise myself with some core G&L models. I came across the Skyhawk the other day but I need to do more research as it was just a snippet and I spotted a few longer videos.

The video below lead to me buying the same model that is being demoed.

"G&L Asat neck pickup test" on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    NothingGoatboat and mad dog like this.
  16. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I'm really surprised by the concern about neck replacement on G&Ls. You can't swap parts back and forth with Fenders/partscasters, but that applies to just about all brands that aren't Fender/Squier (with a few exceptions, e.g., Xaviere). Meanwhile, I've never heard that G&Ls had particularly squirrelly or fragile necks, and from what I know of that brand (and having one myself) I would not expect that to be the case. I mean, who cares if you can't swap in any of a million replacement necks, as long as the one that's there is straight and feels good? (And if those qualities don't apply, why did you buy that guitar?!?)

Did you guys know that, on some guitars, they actually glue the necks in?!?!? Now, those necks are REALLY hard to swap. Why would anyone buy a guitar like that?

Acoustotron and Les Paul lover like this.
  17. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Picked up the ASAT this evening. It has a beefy sound with a lot of versatility. One thing it is suffering from is bad out put jack. The sound cuts outs and it crackles. What would be a good replacement? Switchcraft? Would this be an easy replacement?

18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Those would be an easy neck to make (for someone scratch building). That's how I make my necks, anyway.

if you were local to me, I'd make a replacement for not much - but there's so much fret left on that guitar that it wouldn't be needed.

(If I had a fender, I'd never buy a replacement neck in the first place. The material cost for a neck is about $30 and it takes a couple of hours to make one completely by hand. Maybe four to five with fretting).

19. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

You have impressive skills. The frets are big there is wear to about 5. It plays well but eventually it can be refretted. Meanwhile I'll just get that output jack replaced.

20. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

The output jack is different to a Fender Telecaster type. It's minimal in looks just a low profile cerated locking nut.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.