G&L ASAT Special

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jackson753, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    I've seen an ASAT Special with black hard ware for sale locally. I think it could be late 80s but I don't know? Price is £650 is this a good or bad price?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I own an ASAT Special Tribute.

If you're reffering to a real G&L ASAT Special for £650 (850 US Dollars) I 'd say it's a fair price.

Mike

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Just about right. Bought my gently used one for $800 a few years ago.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's what must be given much thought:

Necks on G + L guitars are essentially not replaceable. If this one is warped or off, then the guitar has virtually no value except as parts.

Also, look very carefully at the fretwire and make sure it is ready for many years of use.

But beyond that, USA G + Ls are a superb buy, compared to their cost when new. A new one of these, way WAY more money than this.

Uh. Make sure you like the neck shape/section. Some of these from this era have a very thin neck.

5. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

You can't get a replacement neck from G&L or anyone else?

I didn't know this. :eek:

Mike

6. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great guitars. I've owned one since 1993.

7. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

At that price? Buy it......... I love and cherish mine. That one sounds like she's a little earlier than mine (black hardware). So your assumption of late 80's may be correct. The neck on mine (1994) is a reasonable size. Certainly not small or skinny. It will not sound like a Tele - it will sound like a G&L Asat Special. And that's a 'special' sound to my ears. (maybe not to yours or others)

AAT65 likes this.
  8. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I do like the pick ups.
    I'm now worried about the neck.
    That's strange that the necks are not replaceable.

I've included some fret pictures.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Why are they not replaceable? I didn't know this.

10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Looks great. Is it a 3 bolt neck? If so, I'll take it if you don't want it.

11. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I've agreed to take it.
    I was just worried re the neck replacement aspect I never knew they couldn't be replaced.

12. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Necks can be built. ASAT necks are 2 piece anyway. They are sawn and routed for the truss rod, then glued back together. Adds stability. Problems are rare.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

G&Ls don't have the standard Fender neck pocket - on a Fender (and therefore all Fender-type replacement necks) the neck pocket is the same for 21 and 22 fret necks, and if it's a 22-fret neck the 22nd fret is on an overhang. On a G&L the neck heel goes all the way down to the end of the neck - no overhang for the 22nd fret.

Boris was referring to the older 3-bolt G&L necks - no one, not even G&L, is doing a commercial replacement neck. Any replacement neck would have to be custom made - and I'm not sure if G&L could do it, so you're likely looking at having a luthier make one. Now for the 4-bolt necks G&L will make replacement necks and Musikraft has recently started making them (in the past 2-3 years or so).

14. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Not to sure about that. Musikraft was offering G&L necks, I haven't checked but they still may.

15. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

This thread made me compare my G&L ASAT Tribute, and my Michael Kelly Telecaster.

HOLY WOW!

I never A/B ed these two. Boy, do they sound different!

The Kelly is a pretty straight-forward Telecaster in sound and feel.

The G&L is kind of halfway between a fuller Telecaster and a clean Les Paul on the neck pup, and I don't know what on the bridge. All I can think of is an SG. The pups DO NOT sound like P-90s, but they sound so good.

Mike

Les Paul lover and Hammerdog like this.
  16. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I love G&Ls (have 3 of them, all 3-bolt, including a late 80s ASAT) and have never considered the lack of replacement necks to be a big drawback. The necks are superb and I'd get a refret rather than trying to replace the neck. If having easy aftermarket necks available is a key factor then get a Fender. Also it isn't that unusual to see someone selling a G&L neck on eBay or Reverb but asking price is usually $$$

17. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Post pictures of the full guitar, front and back including headstock if you want some feedback on the era of production (basically Leo-era 1980-91, early BBE era 1991-1997, or current BBE 1997- present). If you take the neck off usually both the neck pocket and the neck have date stamps on them which the most definitive way to date a G&L. Also there is a registry on the guitarsbyleo site where you can find dates of other guitars with nearby serial numbers and get a good guess that way.

18. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I will upload the pictures asap I'm on a train and the network is poor.

The serial number dates this one between 97-98 it's not actually tinted as the fret board pictures suggest. That yellow haze was from the light bulb. It has a 4 bolt neck.

19. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Here are some pictures.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

KrisCHS and skunqesh like this.
  20. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

That seems a little bit of an unusual collection of parts (not saying wrong, but unusual). Most that I've seen with the black 'crinkle' are pre 1995. But the 4 bolt with those tuners would date it's a little later than that, as you suggest. The 4 bolt, without the micro adjust facility would suggest the neck is of standard construction, where as the earlier ones had the neck blank cut in two and the truss rod inserted from the side. It's still a good price and a very worthy addition to any players armoury. And that black on black on the body makes it look sinister, and I like that.....

Jackson753 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.