G&L ASAT Special and Hipshot Bender Question

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Ray G, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Hello All,

I've been thinking about purchasing either a standard a Hipshot B Bender or a Hipshot Double Bender for my G&L ASAT Special and I'm hoping someone might be able to help with a question.

There are retainers protruding off of the Hipshot unit that keep downward pressure on the B and G strings and with this in mind I'm wondering if the unit will actually fit on an ASAT Special? I'm thinking the ASAT Special's bridge (not a standard Tele bridge) may actually be in the way of the Hipshot string retainers... anyone happen to know one way or the other?

There is also the option of getting the Will Ray Hipshot which doesn't have the retainers and definitely fits a G&L but it is chrome plated and my Special has a black bridge and a black metal pickguard & control plate so I'd want to get a black plated Hipshot unit.

Thanks in advance.

g&l1.jpg

2. r1962j

r1962j Tele-Meister

I can't answer your question of if it will fit as is or not. But I can tell you that you can remove those retainers without any problem. I've been using HipShots since about 1983 and have never found a need for those retainers. When I bought a new unit for another guitar it had those so I left them on to see if they had any advantage for me. After a while I took them off, nothing changed.

3. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

Can't really help. But I've a Will Ray Hellebender on my Asat Special, works great. Can't say I've ever seen one in black.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a B/G bender on one of my Teles, and it's got the retainers with little bits of plastic tubing on them. The body is a poly finish so there's been no damage, but you might want to think twice if your guitar has a nitro finish.

Get in touch with Hipshot and ask them directly! They're very helpful there - I contacted them about replacing the hip lever with a palm pedal, and they did the modification for me at no charge!

I'm sure they'll help you out with your questions.

- D

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't know if the spring retainers have changed at all but the one I had in an ASAT Special fit fine. The one thing I found on mine was that the G&L bridge had a low enough exit point that the string retainer didn't actually touch the string which is a non-issue anyway.

Have fun with it.

6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28385-will-rays-bottom-feeder-1982-gl-sc-2

philbeck likes this.
  7. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Thanks very much for each reply. Good to know that the retainers don't get in the way and/or really aren't needed if they did. That SC-2 either has an earlier version of a H-SHOT or they powder coated a Will Ray model specifically for Will. Thanks again for all the info... greatly appreciated!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  8. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

You might call Hipshot...they are pretty helpful and I bet you're not the first to raise the question...Will Ray plays an ASAT....

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Strange. I have a black Hipshot B Bender, fully loaded up with benders and levers. I custom ordered it new about 7 or 8 years ago. It didn't have any such retainers, nor had I ever seen them before this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.