G & L ASAT Question

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Does anyone know the difference between the G & L ASAT Standard Classic USA
and the G & L Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Classic. Maybe someone has played
both? If one costs more, are the appointments worth it?

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
I believe that the Standard Classics are those Classics with Alnico pickups. In a photo, you can tell them immediately by the chrome cover on the neck pickup. It is rumored or (could be fact) that the standard Classics are being discontinued. The Deluxe Classics have the MFD pickups in both the bridge and neck position. I suspect appointments may be just a bit different also (colors offered like Spanish Copper, a color on the Standards I really like) because on Ebay and Reverb, where one can easily find both models for sale, the Standards are a little cheaper than the Deluxes. Several years ago, the Standards were $995 and the Deluxes about $1195 IIRC. Both models have seen increases in price since then.
Don’t know where you are at on your musical journey, but don’t overlook the Classic “S” also. It is basically a Deluxe with the Nashville style of having a middle pickup. I know that configuration is not for everybody, but seven different sounds are available covering a lot of tonality.

Last edited:

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
My post makes sense, but it does not match up with some of the postings by G&L guitar sellers elsewhere on the net.
Thanks for help with the details, I already have an 83 Tele and American Pro 2 Deluxe with Humbuckers and
Tried the ASAT model and it sounded like a stronger Tele, which I like. I'm assuming the USA version will be even
better. They are impressive guitars.
Can you play Soul, R & B, or Funk on them well, if you have one?

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
I just play country for the most part now and am working on my hybrid picking. About 15 years ago I headed out a fun little band which included r’n r and some blues tunes and I thought my ASAT Classic Deluxe was just fine.

And for what it’s worth, I have previously had a couple of Fenders which I sold after I was introduced to the G&L ASATs. I now own a Classic “S” a Bluesboy, and three Classic Deluxes, all just wonderful, well built guitars. Admittedly, I have a little trouble with the Classic “S” as I have never come to feel completely comfortable with my right hand work around the middle pickup. That’s just me, though.

Last edited:

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
There really isn't one called the Standard. They did make something called the Fullerton Standard for a couple of years that was their least expensive USA line. It still had all the same bits and quality but came in limited finishes and with a gig bag. At the time the Fullerton Deluxe was similarly limited in finish choice but came with a better bag or case, I don't remember which. The current Fullerton Deluxe replaced them both, having more color options than the the Fullerton Standard but coming with that gig bag. Appointments other than bag and color choice are identical.

The next two steps up are this. Their traditional standard offering is referred to as the Option Order models. Basic specs for one price but one can pick and choose varying spec and finish for small add-ons. Is this what you mean by Standard? These all come with a hard case. Above that is their Custom Order guitars which open up options not available from those offered as regular options.

Also in the world of ASATs the Classic means the one that looks like a Fender Tele with the plate bridge, etc. compared to an ASAT Special, fomerly just the ASAT, that uses a Saddle Lock bridge and jumbo MFDs.

An ASAT Classic has MFD pickups in Tele form factors. An ASAT Classic Alnico has traditional Tele-style alnico pickups. There are other variations such as a couple Bluesboys and S models with a middle pickup.

I currently own a Fullerton Standard Legacy (strat type) and an Option Order ASAT Special. I have the same neck profile, fretboard radius, and fret size on both and they are tied for the best playing guitars I own despite the approximately $700 price difference when new. If it comes from G&L USA it will be a good guitar, it's just a matter if you can get along with the color selection and standard options or want something different.

Hope this helps.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Just to add to @Blues Twanger's post: the Fullerton Deluxe series is also limited to a single neck shape, which is G&L's "Modern Classic" shape - which is G&L's version of a Fender "Modern C" neck (.820" at the 1st fret; .870" at the 12th fret) with a 1 11/16" nut width and a 9.5" radius. That is the "standard" neck shape when you go to the Option Order tier, but you can pick from 4 other neck shapes (all are a C shapes however; if you want a V or a U shape you have to go to their Custom Shop now) and you can choose the radius (7.5", 9.5" or 12" radius).

John C

Friend of Leo's
When G&L went to the Fullerton advertised Model the Necks became Paper thin not even close to a medium C

True; I've played about 3 of the old Fullerton Standard Legacys at a now-defunct mom & pop store that was in Lenexa KS; 1 was pretty much a Fender Modern C but the other 2 were thinner, more like the neck on my Schecter Strat-style.

I have yet to play a G&L from the Fullerton Deluxe series, but I would assume the same amount of variance but no thicker than a Fender Modern C.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
When G&L went to the Fullerton advertised Model the Necks became Paper thin not even close to a medium C
Dunno if I'd call the neck paper thin, the two I have are around spec of .820 at the 1st fret, one just below and one above.

Compared to 90s Fenders I had around .800 and the Jacksons and Ibanezzesses of my youth at closer to .700 I can't call the G&L Modern Classic paper thin at all.

Sure, it's thinner than a vintage Tele neck like my Vintera 50s at .905, but these days that's considered an anomaly these days while the ballpark the Modern Classic lives in is the same ballpark as your average Standard/Player series Fender.

They are also 1/16th wider than many others and nicely rolled over, they fit the palm nicely.