G&L ASAT--nice guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by stormsedge, Sep 29, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This post is more of a PSA. I have two different models of the G&L LE ASAT Tribute...both nice guitars. I noticed this AM that the SDoD is the same as one I purchased a couple of months ago. Recommended.

IMG_7456.JPG IMG_7457.JPG

2. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I noticed that post on SDoD. Looks like about a $50 discount. I'm certainly familiar with the reputation of G&L but I'm not familiar with their different lines. Am I correct in assuming that their Tribute series is on par with a Squire?

3. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Lovely guitar!

stormsedge likes this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Overall quality of G&L Tributes is generally on par with MIM standards (or whatever they’re called now). The only thing to be careful of is that the musicians friend
    “Special Editions” have generic Asian produced alnico pickups instead of American made MFDs like the normal Tributes. Also, QC tends to be a bit looser on the special editions. But, musicians friend has a great return policy so if you’re curious, it’s worth a roll of the dice.

ZenGuitarist, stormsedge and joealso like this.
  5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks. I have no complaints on MIMs and they're a great platform for any desired upgrades. Thanks for the heads up on the SE's. Good advice.

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of G&L Tribute ASAT guitars and really like the build quality and sound of the USA MFD Pickups. These easily play and sound as good as anything much more expensive that I own. In fact, I gigged with one of them this past weekend and it did the trick. No tuning problems or issues whatsoever. Plenty of twang and grunt.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I got the Bluesboy on a Guitar Center daily deal 2 months ago. It's great, play it every day.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, I missed OP's post and posted my own G&L SDOTD thread

stormsedge likes this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

-$170 if you believe MSRP. Cheers!

joealso likes this.
  10. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

I bought one a couple of months ago. Replaced the pups with a set of Original Recipe from Bootstrap. Used a Tone Shaper 4 way wiring kit which bought the guitar to a whole new level.

Due to having too many guitars at the moment, I have it up for sale. I've not had many bites, so I may pull it for a while a d play it some more.

Great value in inexpensive package.

D

joealso likes this.
  11. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looks like a great guitar and great deal but listed nut width is 41.3mm/1.62”. A bit too tight for me.

sudogeek likes this.
  12. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Love the body and the price. But I'd want to add a rosewood neck and from what I'm reading on line, you can't just swap on a Squier or Fender replacement neck.

13. gerhard_k

gerhard_k TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm always a bit puzzled by guitar pricing. My take is that this $449 typical advertised price is not MSRP but is the "lowest allowed (by the franchise/sales agreement) advertised price", and is usually about 20% below the MSRP. And I have read repeatedly here on tdpri that by asking in-person with a willing dealer, you can get as much as 40% off MSRP, i.e., another 15-20% off the "lowest allowed advertised price".
    So can someone with actual purchase experience shed some light on this?

Of course, in the case of this particular SDoD, the difference in the installed pickups muddies the waters considerably...

14. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

The minimum advertised price (MAP) is the lowest price a manufacturer will let a retailer advertise the product for. You can negotiate a lower price or perhaps use a coupon if you talk to a retailer. When MF/GC send out their endless coupons, there are always plenty of brands excluded because of MAP, but that doesn't mean you can't get the discount anyway. The retailer can't offer a price below MAP unless you ask. I think I've described it properly, but it's been a long day. If I've got it wrong, someone please correct me.

To the OP - nice guitar! I'm a big fan of G&L guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.