g & L ASAT Classic Telecaster Case

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I have purchased a new G & L ASAT Classic Fullerton Telecaster and am
wondering if it will fit into a G & G Tele guitar case. It says on the G & G website
they are made to fit Fender Strat/Tele's but maybe someone has tried one
with a G & L. Any advise would be appreciated and I will post pictures of the guitar
when I get it this week.

John C

Friend of Leo's
No; the G&L has a slightly longer headstock and won't fit into a Fender-branded G&G case. I suggest getting the G&L case from their online shop - they also use G&G cases, but the G&L-branded case is less expensive than any of the Fender-branded cases. Unfortunately they are currently sold out of the regular case (for ASATS & their various Strat-types) and only have the case for the Doheny models (Jazzmaster body).

Link so you can check to see when they are back in stock: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/g-l-deluxe-tolex-hardshell-case-guitar

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the help. I almost went ahead and bought the G & G earlier. Really appreciate it.
Will check the G & L site for it.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the help. I almost went ahead and bought the G & G earlier. Really appreciate it.
Will check the G & L site for it.

Glad to help. It looks like the G&L gig bag is a decent one - from the photos on dealer sites like Sweetwater it looks better than the Fender bag that came with my American Performer Tele - so it will do until G&L gets more cases. All G&Ls used to come with cases, but these days you have to either get an Option Order, a CLF Research or a Custom Shop to get the hard case with the instrument.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
There was more G & L case discussion on the thread I put about my new ASAT, found a
case that worked thanks to great advise here.

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
Don’t know if this helps or not, but an Asat will definitely fit in a fender case. A little snug at first but once the foam compresses a bit it’s perfect

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Don’t know if this helps or not, but an Asat will definitely fit in a fender case. A little snug at first but once the foam compresses a bit it’s perfect
I agree....I have two G&L ASAT guitars and they definitely do fit in my Fender cases, a little snug at first as StuartJames already stated.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Seems like I ended up with 2 different G & G cases from previous purchases.
Thought the G & L wouldn't fit because I only tried it in one, but when I tried the other with the
Fender logo (right) it worked great, so any one will fit the regular Tele I took out that now needs a home.
If you look at where the guitar goes across and the pouch for storing things its obvious
but I'm not sure if each case has a different name, maybe because it says Custom Shop. The one on
the left 2 wouldn't work, the 3 pictured on the right did. @2nd from the left and 2nd from the right show the main difference.

Attachments

• 20220124_124503.jpg
    20220124_124503.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220124_124522.jpg
    20220124_124522.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220124_124632.jpg
    20220124_124632.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220124_124650.jpg
    20220124_124650.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220124_124719.jpg
    20220124_124719.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220124_124723.jpg
    20220124_124723.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 32

John C

Friend of Leo's
The Custom Shop case is what's known as a "center pocket" case - the accessory compartment is in the middle and the guitar sits straight in the case; the other case is sometimes called a side pocket or side compartment case and the guitar sits at an angle.

As others have said some of the side compartment cases you can fit a G&L by compressing the pad at the top of the case at the headstock.

I wasn't aware you already had the 2 G&G cases when I suggested getting the G&L G&G case - but at the end of the day the G&L G&G case is $170 and the current Fender G&G cases are $250 (for the "standard" black tolex/black interior/small Fender logo under the handle) or $300 for the "Deluxe" ones (all other colors including black tolex/orange interior/large amp logo on the lid). The Fender cases that are $180 are made-in-China replicas of the G&G cases.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I ordered another Fender G & G to house the American Professional 2 Deluxe so I
should be all set as I own 3 Tele's and a AVRI 1965 Jazzmaster with a G & G case. I prefer these
kind of cases though some like the large solid black ones Fender is using today.
Thanks for the info, glad I put the pictures on too for to clarify for anyone lookin for
a case in the future. Between your info and pictures people will know what they're ordering.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
I personally wouldn't transport my guitars in a case where I had to push the protective foam out of the way to get the guitar to fit. Storage in the closet, maybe.

Ironically the angled Fender case is what I used to use for a Mustang as despite being a shorter scale ends up a slightly longer instrument overall than a Strat or Tele due to the big headstock and position of the bridge well into the body.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Yes. That's why I'm glad the G & L fit great in the case as shown. It might not look
it but there is definitely room between the headstock and foam and the end of the case.
You can see if the picture is enlarged.
Not good to jam it in.

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
My ASAT Classic is too long to fit in my Gator TSA case, whereas it's a perfect fit for my Fender Tele. I could certainly make it fit, but that defeats the purpose of protecting the guitar. The G&G cases are heavy but they are very good.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
The Custom Shop case is what's known as a "center pocket" case - the accessory compartment is in the middle and the guitar sits straight in the case; the other case is sometimes called a side pocket or side compartment case and the guitar sits at an angle.

As others have said some of the side compartment cases you can fit a G&L by compressing the pad at the top of the case at the headstock.

I wasn't aware you already had the 2 G&G cases when I suggested getting the G&L G&G case - but at the end of the day the G&L G&G case is $170 and the current Fender G&G cases are $250 (for the "standard" black tolex/black interior/small Fender logo under the handle) or $300 for the "Deluxe" ones (all other colors including black tolex/orange interior/large amp logo on the lid). The Fender cases that are $180 are made-in-China replicas of the G&G cases.
I got another case from the STRATosphere store in New Hampshire. It is a side pocket one that is a G & G.
It says made in the USA but is it? I ask because I paid the $180 you mentioned so I'm wondering if
it can say made in the US on the inside pocket to keep small things like my others but actually be a Chinese
replica as you described in your post for that price ? Seems like it wouldn't say USA if it wasn't
Either way the Telecaster does fit.

John C

Friend of Leo's
I got another case from the STRATosphere store in New Hampshire. It is a side pocket one that is a G & G.
It says made in the USA but is it? I ask because I paid the $180 you mentioned so I'm wondering if
it can say made in the US on the inside pocket to keep small things like my others but actually be a Chinese
replica as you described in your post for that price ? Seems like it wouldn't say USA if it wasn't
Either way the Telecaster does fit.

Stratosphere sell the cases they get for the typical "used" price even though they are essentially new cases - I believe a lot of Stratosphere's parts come from instruments they get and "part out" so they sell the cases at a reduced price. I was quoting the MAP prices for cases from Fender and G&L.

For example Stratosphere currently has a couple of Gibson Les Paul cases on their site they are selling for $170; the new price on them from other sources is $200. I'm not seeing any Fender cases on the site tonight.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I saw it on ebay sold by them (the only one) so it wasn't a direct purchase.
Seems alright now, I like those kind of cases. Thanks for clarifying where
they get them.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Ockham's Razor.
Get a tape measure and measure the length of the G&L from the top of its headstock to the bottom of the strap button.
Then get ahold of Allen Eden. They sell aftermarket cases, many with the "center pocket" design.
Email them the measurements and I'll betcha they'll have a case that fits.
For around a c-note, which is significantly less than the Fender variant.
Plus AE makes cases with novelty tolex and linings. I have one with faux leopard skin inside that gets smiles every time. And they make ones in alligator, cowboy tolex, tweed, etc.
And yes, they're built to last.

Here's a link to their site:

Good Hunting!

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Then get ahold of Allen Eden. They sell aftermarket cases, many with the "center pocket" design.
Plus AE makes cases with novelty tolex and linings. I have one with faux leopard skin inside that gets smiles every time. And they make ones in alligator, cowboy tolex, tweed, etc.
And yes, they're built to last.
Recently got the alligator tear drop with the leopard for my ASAT Blues Boy and it's a perfect fit!
My MexiStrat is also a perfect fit!