G.E. Smith Pickup Mount

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rick1978de, Oct 30, 2009.

1. rick1978de

rick1978de TDPRI Member

First Post. Looks like a great forum here and I for one have - after years of playing - finally found my way to the telecaster (in search of tone).

Here is my question:

I plan on building me a prototype G.E. Smith telecaster (such as featured in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJYPPpXKB8). I already have a GE neck - the hard part is over I hop. My questions is: Is the G.E. Telecaster body standard? I plan on looking for a '52 RI body and then just mounting the bridge PUP on the wood. Seems easy enough. Does anyone know if this will work? Or is the G.E. body modified?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

2. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

G. E. body seems typical standard, unmodified vintage style. Not sure if he has pickup springs or rubber surgical tubing under the pickup to help with height adjustment and keeping it from tipping.
    Probably rubber tubing.

3. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

In theory it will "work". I have attempted to do the same mod to one of my Teles. However, I think you might find it challenging (but still do-able). The GE model is not "standard". The bridge pickup route is actually routed a bit shallower than normal. The main difficulty I found was in dialing in the pup height just right. By all means, have at it. Let us know how it works out.

4. rick1978de

rick1978de TDPRI Member

Hmm, I was afraid that the route would be shallower. Wouldn't putting the rubber tubing under the pickup defeat the purpose of the body mount? I understood from GE's promo video that it directly mounted onto the body. Can anyone that has a G.E. verify that?

thanks, rick

5. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I just had mine apart not long ago. Didn't measure the cavity depth but it looked like the standard cavity to me. Mine also has the surgical tubing for adjustment.

7. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

toothpick, thumbnail and a tape measure?

8. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Tubing is pretty standard at his point. That isn't really the issue. However, I found that setting the height where I wanted it was still difficult, even with tubes. A pickup can be mounted to the body, no problem. But, I seem to remember that the GE cavity is shallower than standard. Don't quote me on it, but perhaps a GE owner can answer this.

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

CasualReader provided one of the older posts I had provided Pics for, but there was another post somewhere (can't find it) where I measured the depth for Jack Wells, and I'm almost sure it was a little bit deeper than a Std. Rout....I sold the guitar about 2 yrs. ago, so it's not here to measure. Unless you're stuck on the look of the half bridge, I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it...it really didn't sound that much different....but then as I have stated many times...I don't have "Dog Ears".......;)

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

if the GE routing is shallower than standard, it seems it would be a simple fix ... measure the depth, shape a piece of wood to the proper depth and dimension to bring it to GE spec, then glue that sucker in there real good and mount your pickup... cosmetics aren't an issue ...

11. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

is it live, or is it memorex?

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...6251-ge-smith-tele-not-sure-what-think-3.html

12. rick1978de

rick1978de TDPRI Member

thanks! Don't know why I didn't find that .....

13. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

I knew where to look because I'd found them earlier while wondering if the GE bridge p'up was a 10k 43 guage nocaster wind. It is - confirmed by mellecaster in the second linked thread. In another thread, Mike Eldred posted that early nocaster repros were 10,000 turns of the thinner 43 around alnico 5 poles.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...stom-shop-nocaster-questions.html#post1856308

More here just before the 5 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVyeHCKohw

What I don't know is if the smith p'up is alnico 5 (perhaps demagnetized a bit) or 3, but I'd imagine that the p'up has more to do with the sound than the mounting or hacked off bridge.

While I'm at it, I'll add another excellent link from TDPRI
    http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-bridge-base-plate-materials/
    and direct your attention to the 2 paragraphs under the heading "function a".

GE liked vintage teles and high volume situations - but not squealing. Unless you like the look of the half plate / exposed p'up, you might consider mounting it to the wood under a thicker gauge vintage style plate.

Either way, as rangercaster suggested, gluing a piece of wood in the bottom of the cavity wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the project - sounds like fun.

14. rick1978de

rick1978de TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the information. I would think that sets me up. I will post some picks as soon as it comes together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.