1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G.E. Smith on the bay, no reserve

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ChicagoJohn, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

You can ALWAYS return something on Ebay and get your money back.

Sellers are allowed to put "no returns" on their ads to make them feel better - that's it.

It's completely lopsided and has been for 10+ years but you're on the advantage side so that's good.

I guess it depends on what you value the guitar at and what about it is important to you.

You love the neck and they are great but I really love the lap steel/Broadcaster pickup in my Stock GE. One of the best Tele pickups I've ever had - but it def has P90 qualities that some wouldn't like.

I think this is definitely a case where you could ask for a certain amount refunded back from the seller. And that's rare for me to feel that.

Also - I do not believe the prototype/factory sample or whatever story. That's just me though...

2. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

No the prototype/sample story is a fabrication. The neck pocket of this guitar matches the neck pocket of the GE Smith on page 20 of the 'GE Smith' owners club page.

As far as I can determine the body and neck are GE Smith, they may or may not have come together. The neck tuners, string tree and screws are correct.

The body is a mis-mash as far as I can tell. The knobs are incorrect and aluminum, probably to reduce the weight as brass knobs would have pushed the weight over 8 pounds.

I'd like to see some wiring from another GE Smith but as far as mine goes it looks to have been wired by a total amateur. Not even close to the type of wiring you'd see from a person who solders all day long and has to pass quality control.

I already mentioned the pickup is not correct and neither are the saddles or any screws on the body.

Funny thing about those screws. The same seller had a one off Telebration he sold on ebay just prior to the GE Smith.

That guitar has all flat head screws... and a tweed case??? All the Telebrations I've seen used modern hardware and came in plastic hard shell flight cases. I'm guessing that was GE Smith case and those were my GE Smith screws...

The screws look much older than the rest of the hardware...

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-...935513?hash=item3ab262ff59:g:6McAAOSw0HVWAitb

I'm guessing he though that would optimize his profit for that guitar. I also think he knew the GE Smith with issues would or possibly could be problematic as he saved the GE last to sell before his move to CA.

Over the past couple months he's sold off a bunch of prototype gear. He did work at Fender and Fender for some time. He's also been misleading and his story has changed several times. First time round this guitar was in his office second story and it was the office next to him...

The second serial number he gave me came back from Fender as a Mark Knopfler Strat. I called and asked about this and he said he never owned a Knopfler Strat.

When I receive the GE Smith it's in a 60s Fender black case. Theres a red tag on it visible in the auction. Iread it. It says GE Smith. I flip it over and it says Knopfler with scribbles over it...

3. Mike Eskimo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

The solder job looks totally fine.

5. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Thanks Mike. That is the type of work I'm used to from Fender and it's nothing like what's inside mine. The cap is also different. Doesn't even look like a Fender cap. My cap looks more like a ceramic that you'd find in a low end Gibson.

6. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I'm still on the fence with this partscaster. :neutral:

Here are some shots of the guts and some where the body shows fine line checking. Appears to me the guitar was stored in a barn as there was a clump of hay and dirt stuck on the case corner when I unpacked the guitar. The checking could well be from how it was stored.

Control Wiring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body Checking (note height of saddle screws)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping some of the experts here may be able to share some of their opinions.

7. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

A couple more random body shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions?

8. Mike Eskimo

On the one hand - my Dakota Red paint is more sunk than that.

I'm perfectly happy with that as it's very thin and looks like someone painted an ash body with red glossy paint. More like I imagine one of the few custom-colored Tele's from the 50's would be.

Not multiple coats to really build it up and then a clear coat.

If mine weren't 7lbs 2 oz, soon to be under 7 w/ some aluminum knobs that are on the way - I might care more.

On the other hand - you have a higher-end partscaster w/ a lightweight ash body and a GE Smith neck.

Being very honest - it's not worth $1500+ to me so you have to figure out the exact $ amount it's worth to you.

So - if you think it's worth $1200 - ask him for 3 back.

If you think it's fine but you wish you had the right pickup - ask him to buy you a 43 awg 10k-ish pickup from Don Mare.

And if you do return it - how much do you want a GE and when do you think one will be available again and how much will that one be ?

Blonde one on Ebay now is over $2k and is 8 lbs 4 oz.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. Lgibjones

Lgibjones NEW MEMBER!

I owned a black one for a time. The body acquired wear very easily, more easily than any other Fender I've owned. It had the same issue with the bridge screws. I think you did alright, considering you didn't pay much more than an AVRI. If you want my advice, play it, enjoy it, save yourself the aggravation. Maybe the seller will compensate you. Good luck.

10. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting the info on the black paint. This body definitely looks like its had more play than the neck but it very well could be the type of paint used.

I'm leaning towards putting it behind me and not losing more shipping along with the original shipping and extra $$ charged for the documentation which was never provided.

I've been thinking along the same line as Mike and that's pretty much where my head has been for the past couple days. No, it wouldn't have brought $1500 if it were advertised for what it is but it would take some time to find the same parts elsewhere.

Still like to hear from anyone who may have more insight after viewing the pics.

Thank for the help!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  11. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

I don't know if it has a few issues and it's not exactly as advertised i would ask the seller for a price adjustment if I decided to keep it. BTW If EBay deems the sale fraudulent your shipping cost are covered.

12. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

From what I've read I think you'd be happier sending it back. You may never be able to let go of what you know. Usually, a new guitar is supposed to be a really happy occasion. Sounds more like you're working too hard to change your mind. :(

13. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn TDPRI Member

+1 It sounds like there are a lot of issues here. If it plays well and you like it, though, see if it's possible to get some money back.

14. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I went back and forth a lot on this one but in the end I decided it was a pretty good partscaster.

From the outset my plan was to change all the hardware with nickel and replace the Philips heads with flat heads. I hadn't planned on pup replacement tho and was under the impression based on the ad that I wouldn't have to.

It plays so well tho that I'm eager to keep it. I doubt I'd ever get my money back if I needed to sell it but I can live with that.

This also frees me up to do any mods I choose without feeling guilty about defacing a stock instrument.

I've got a pair of Kerry's Nocaster pups on the way. I think what's in there now are AVRIs. They sound and act like a '52 reissue I owned.

I've also got a 3 knob blender control plate that I've had for sometime and never found a home for. Seeing as how I can't defile this one I think I'll use it here.

Basically that was the deciding factor in keeping it. Since its not an original GE I won't feel bad about toying with it and making it my own.

I'll post some before and after shots when all is said and done.

15. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Glad you found a solution.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.