G.E. Smith Neck Value

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by blackguts, May 21, 2016.

1. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I'm contemplating selling a mint G.E. Smith neck. What should I be asking for it?

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Since these teles are pretty rare to find at all these days, with ebay examples selling for about $2k, a neck would probably command $1k, if you could even find one.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. Theactualaus10

Theactualaus10 NEW MEMBER!

I'm interested if the price is right!

4. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I am in no way saying you're wrong. But I am saying that one would have to be certifiably insane to pay $1000 for one.

5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

1k for a GE neck?

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like you might consider what the cost would be to order a neck with GE Smith specs from Warmoth or similar - which is to say if I can buy something with exactly the same functionality from Warmoth for what? $400? then how much extra would I want to pay just to have the neck be a GE Smith neck? How does that work? Wouldn't be my choice either way, but someone might and it's none of my business why.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Branding.

8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

How does one know if one would like a GE Smith neck ? What is "special" about it that differentiates it from other comparable necks ? What value does the GE Smith name add, and why ? I suppose if someone assignes a value of $500 to the fact that GE Smiths name is on the headstock (is it ?)
    then you might get 800-1000 for it, given the cost of comparable alternates.

Looks like there is one complete with tuners and neck plate on Reverb.com for $600.

https://reverb.com/item/111103-fender-ge-smith-telecaster-neck-tuners-neckplate

9. GuitarJonz

Its a fat neck with pedal steel style fret markers. Those guitars extremely hard to find, I'd expect a neck only would be even rarer to find. A couple on ebay now, for $2100, although one appears to have sold for $1700, or lesser offer.

GE Smith.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

"It's a fat neck with pedal steel style fret markers."

I bet that makes is sound so much better than a standard Fender neck.
    :)

11. GuitarJonz

Some people just GOT to have these things :) Not me!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Obviously worth what the market will bear. I traded a GE Smith for what I thought was an insane amount of money (maybe $1700 trade value) a couple years ago. It was a very nice guitar, but it was a little beat. Needed a fret job and the saddle screws were seized up. Those necks are great.

My best guess at a price for just the neck is $450-$550 depending on fret wear, whether you're including tuners, etc. One way to find out what it's worth is to list it on eBay with no reserve. Start your 10 day auction on a Thursday, that way it ends on a Sunday and there are 2 weekends when it's up and people are most likely to be shopping. If you start it at a penny you get a lot more interest. More watchers = more bidders = better possibility of achieving the desired price. It's the riskiest way to find out exactly what the short term market is for stuff. Or throw it up on Reverb if you're willing to wait a bit for your price.

In any case I agree that $1k is too high. If you can get $700 for it, you're my hero. But I think $450-$550 is about right.

13. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

I think my comfort level would be $600 at the absolute max. I say that much because the fact that it is a real Fender neck does kick up the mojo factor a bit in my eyes. I could not imagine paying beyond $600 and it will take someone special to appreciate those fret markers.

14. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I think these guitars were pretty special. They had body mount lead pups. The frets and stuff were specific. Guys love them. A G is not crazy money these days in the guitar world. Gibson PAFs are worth more than that and I'd need one to replicate my favorite tele. If the GE Smith had 2" nut I'd certainly consider it. My "73 had the widest neck ever (for me) and it contributes a lot to the tone.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I would just ask Tommy Rosamond to make me a G E Smith specifications neck with no "Fender" ID on it whatsoever. :^)

It would cost a lot less and that's IMO all a "severed" G E Smith neck should ever be worth. I am so tired of cannibalized guitars.

teletimetx likes this.
  16. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I do think that the body mounted bridge pickup does something magic to these guitars. I haven't heard another guitar that had the same type of resonance. I think the pickups are the same Original Vintage pickups that are in the 52ri. I've had 2 52ris, and neither sounded as lively as the GE Smith.

I probably should have kept that guitar. I got it for a crazy good price, but there was something I wanted more at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.