G.E Smith Mod ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Strato50, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking about trying it since I have the parts...the pickup will be a 56/57 Tele bridge with TS neck...with an out of phase switch. I saw and met GE when were playing in Lafayette Louisiana back in 99...he walked over on his break and checked out my band..and we did the same...I thought he had a killer bridge tone that night...and briefly spoke to him about it...its said it fattened up the sound vibrating off the wood instead of a the metal bridge.Anyway I was going to sell this Tele... but backed out..its too damn good of a player. I think the half bridge would look pretty good on this body. Has anyone tried the direct wood mount? and what did you think?

Attached Files:

• GE.jpg
      GE.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I have a lot of respect for that man,I wouldn't hesitate to try it.I did it with some humbuckers and it does add something but I dont know what to call it but I liked what it did.

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

DCR of the bridge pickup used on the Fender signature G E Smith was rumored to be around 10kOhm.

To quote Rob DiStefano of Cavalier Pickups
    "i've examined several ge smith bridge pups and they appear to use 43awg coil wire and .195" a3 rod mags at about .660" height. these parameters are in line with all the early '50-'51 fender guitars (esquire, broadcaster, nocaster, telecaster)."

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

A bridge change wil have a big impact by itself. Mass, stiffness, different saddles, these make a difference you would hear easily.

A pickup change will also have a big impact.

Changing to a wood mount will have a relatively small impact.

Do all three at the same time and you won't be able to separate the impact of each change from the others.

If it was mine and I already had all the parts, I'd do it immediately. Why not?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've done a lot of them and I like this sound.

I certainly would not do it to some T types I have - I think of it as prescription medicine, specific treatment for specific guitars.

You can expect a lot less of the sounds we associate with microphonics UNLESS you screw up the mounting process (in which case you can get wild squeal). Don't put a wad of foam down in the middle or some kind of "pedestal" then cinch the 3 screws down into the wood. This distorts the pickup and its base = bad. I like to mount them to the wood with a circular spacer around each mount screw and leave it open air under the pickup.

This is IMO an excellent recipe for a stacked pickup such as a Seymour STK-T3b. It can just about be mounted directly to the floor of the rout.

6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I am going to try it...I want to to get a winder to try and nail those specs of his...what the heck...might as well make it beefy as hell.

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

A Don Mare 0038 ought to do it.

8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Or just ask Cavalier's Rob to wind you something that will produce the GE Smith bridge sound, so can leave your standard bridge hardware/set-up as-is. His Huge & Fat Lion options already come close....

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I was thinking along the same lines as Roscoe. Only I was thinking of Rob's Nocaster Lion. Tuxedo Poly quoted Rob DiStefano of Cavalier pickups above...

...and that seems to match the specs of Rob's Nocaster...

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

This thread made me watch this video...again. I've lost track of the number of times that I have watched this video. And I almost always watch it straight through, from start to finish. Whatever FMIC paid GES for that video interview, it wasn't enough!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    tombm3 likes this.
  11. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is another good video from him.

12. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

A little late to the party here, but yeah, Rob's Nocaster Lion would be pretty close. I also have one of Mare's 0038s, and it actually sounds pretty similar to the Nocaster Lion. Both are great pickups!

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have done it with a cut Fender Vintage Plate and with a Strat hard tail bridge with sintered saddles off a deluxe something [polished]. The PU was standard Fralin Tele Bridge circa 2000. I liked it with the Strat HT bridge and not the cut vintage one. I even tried vintage saddle fire drills.

But I do like the lightest ga Fender Vintage Plate with less meaty PU than broadcaster variety. Not sure what all that might mean to anyone else though...

14. MPCNYC

MPCNYC TDPRI Member

If the bridge pickup isn’t physically attached to the bridge do you find that the bridge still needs to be grounded?

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

It definitely sounds good screwed into the wood of my 50s champion lap steel, but then all those old records with regular telecasters sound good too. I've thought about doing GE's mod, and I'm still thinking about it.

PSX_20181011_185623.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.