G-Dec amp help

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by fozhebert, Oct 14, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

I have 2 issues with my G-Dec Jr:
    1. The amp auto mutes randomly. It stays on, but mutes the output. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes I have to reboot the amp. Any suggestions to troubleshoot this?
    2. There is a low level, low frequency buzzibg sound that is always present when the amp is on. Does not matter what volume level or input is used. It is present even when nothing is plugged in and all volumes are at zero. Any ideas why this could be happening?

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my GDEC, and am not looking forward to the day it dies on me. BECAUSE:

They are not made anymore.
    Fender does not service them; they never did. They were a disposable amp: if you needed warranty "service", it was cheaper for them to simply give you a new one than to fix your old one.

I wish you luck, but I don't think I've ever read of a GDEC being "fixed" :(

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

I'm really liking the amp. I hear ya.

My pathfinder 10 is dead quiet when on, compared to the g-dec, that is frustrating.

4. simond

simond Tele-Meister

The buzzing could be mechanical vibrations in the transformer. You might be able to tighten the bolts that hold it together and / or put some rubber grommets where it bolts to the chassis to isolate it. I reduced the him in a Peavey amp this way. Make sure the amp is unplugged when working inside it. (Don't ask how I learnt this!)

5. simond

simond Tele-Meister

My son had a G-Dec 30 and I broke the USB input socket by stepping on the cable. The local music shop obtained a replacement circuit board - it was only a little thing with the USB and headphone socket on it - way out here in Tasmania but it was a few years ago now.

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I've got a G-DEC 15 and 30 but unfortunately don't know anything about the Juniors. In my experience, the buzzing points to a grounding issue, defective capacitor or failing transformer. To begin with, have you tried another power lead or plugging the amp into another room's wall socket?

7. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

I will try another room. And see if there are any caps that are failing. I'll tighten the transformer bolts too.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

There are techs around LA that fix them.

But it often costs as much as buying a replacement. They are not easy to work on, and at tech rates of $50-75/hr it doesn't take long to exceed cost effectiveness.

ruger9 likes this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

It seems to be a skipping data wheel (rotary encoder) that causes most (non-Junior) G-DEC problems. Replacements aren't available for the 15w and the only solution is to clean the encoder wiper and tracks. That involves a strip-down of course, which will take an hour or two, depending on how many times you've done it before. There'll eventually be a time when the tracks are too worn to reclaim and that'll be a flat-liner for the G-DEC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.