1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

G.A.S. ATTACK!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ScottTunes, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

I know! We all get them! ESPECIALLY here!!!

I really "WANT" an SG so bad I can taste it! LOVE the looks of the shape in Heritage Cherry (NOT too red please). I want it with the chunkier (used to be called a '59 shape) neck, and P-90s. Even better if it looks like the Standard, with the trapezoid fret board inlays, etc...

I'm struck by the proverbial "can't get there from here" syndrome. Can't find what I want new, and most of the used cannot be played before purchase. Then there's the tuning issue - won't stay in tune... Particularly with the "slim taper" necks... Maybe it's just me... Then I remember why I didn't keep the 2 vintage SGs I had years ago (both only a few serial numbers apart from late '68 to early '69). They were beautiful to behold! Sounded quite good as well (though they were 60's HBs - probably of the "57 variety).

So, instead, it's time to build another Tele, with at least one P-90 p'up in the neck position. SO many options too! I'm swimming in possibilities! Love double bound! Love the original Butterscotch blond too!

Ultimately, I'm doing this in response to a G.A.S. attack, which in itself is a response to procrastinating learning new material and putting yet another band together!

Now, where did I leave that Scotch???

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

You could always get a s/hand one and swap the humbuckers for P90s.

I got a 2002 "Standard" model some months back and had it set up by a local luthier. Not sure on the neck girth other than to say I find it comfortable. It has the bat wing guard not the smaller one - which is anathema to some but it's no biggie as far as I'm concerned.

There's a TV yellow, 3xP90 "Gary Clark Junior" version if you can find one. He makes a great noise with it :rolleyes:

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It won’t stay in tune, the G will go flat, trust me, it will. It’s what SGs and LPs do, it’s tradition!

nojazzhere and brogh like this.
  4. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Not sure if it's because my SG has a maple neck, but it has incredible tuning stability.

Such a lovely player.

Zeonoid likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I like SGs, I used to have four all very different to each other. I ended up selling them and missing them, so will probably at some point get another one.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If you go with building a Tele with a P-90. consider using a 24 3/4" scale neck (like Warmoth) with a "fatback" profile. (about like a '59) That's what I use, and it's PERFECT for me.....best of both worlds!

7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

I have a Strat with Warmoth "Boat Neck" and a Tele with the large Warmoth "Fat Back" necks... I'll use the Warmoth "'59" shape next time fer sure! Although, I'm not convinced the shorter scale is a plus...

8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

My band in the 70s played lots of Santana, and our lead player used a Cherry SG. When Gibson was really Gibson.

Damn, that thing was so sweet.

9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Nothing will scratch the itch but an SG. Just be reasonable in your purchase approach and you'll be fine. By that I mean buy used for a decent price so that you can turn it around for little if any loss if you need the money back at some point.

Guitar gear is great that way. In comparison to some of my outdoor hobbies, where the gear depreciates painfully fast, breaks down, and becomes outdated if not completely obsolete, it's really not a bad place to spend your money. If only the 8 grand I spend on bike stuff a few years back had been put into my guitar quiver...the bike stuff is practically worthless now. While the guitars and amps I was eyeing a few years ago keep getting more expensive. Still don't have that BF Super Reverb I've wanted for 15 years or so and guess what? They go about twice as much as they were going for back then, even though at the time I thought they were too high.

Just stay away from buying stuff new. Of course some things like digital modelers have a limited shelf life.

But a nice USA made SG will hold its value for years to come. So will any point to point tube amp, and many of the pedals, too. A lot of vintage gear is still affordable and its not going to get any cheaper at all.

Go for it dude - every guitar player oughta have an SG at some point.

Crowcaster and ScottTunes like this.
  10. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

You can buy a decent SG for $500 around here - if you keep your eyes open. I have one w/twin P90s, I don't know how Gibson describes the neck profile, but, it's definitely flatter and wider than my Teles, chunkier than the old EPI LP, but much thinner than the 52. I like it - and use it for tunes where I need a bit more growl ( like SinCity, You Shook Me all night long)

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If yer gonna build something build an SG!

Stewmac has kits these days, too. Glue in the neck and it’s practically finished.

ScottTunes likes this.
  12. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Never got on with SGs but each to their own. I always found them very unwieldy and awkward whereas I loved LP Jrs and Specials of various eras. I never had issues with tuning.....just made sure the nut was perfectly cut and lubed regularly.

I went down the tele with P90s road but it just didn't work for me. A tele just has too much spank for P90 tone (for my tastes anyway).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.