FYI - The latest Amazon phone scam

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I just received an automated phone call, claiming to be from Amazon customer support, asking me if I would authorize a payment of $1400 for the order of a Mac book on my Amazon account. It said to please press 1 to speak to a customer service agent. Of course, I hung up and logged into my Prime account to find there is no such order pending (which makes sense since I didn't order anything). The call came from the phone number 206-793-0100, which is no doubt fake.

I don't know if this a new scam or not, but I haven't experienced it previously. Be on your guard, that's all.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I got a voice mail saying my Norton spyware etc renewal has processed. If in error, call them back with my credit card number so they can credit my account. Now I run Chrome/OS so no Norton. SCAM!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I got a voice mail saying my Norton spyware etc renewal has processed. If in error, call them back with my credit card number so they can credit my account. Now I run Chrome/OS so no Norton. SCAM!
Hell, when I used Norton years ago, it began acting like malware itself, with constant nagging.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I get the same bull spit. Also, the same about a Walmart account. Don't push "one" just hang up

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I get lots of similar phishing spam calls. If there is an actual person that answers I immediately ask them if they are using a burner phone to make the call. They hang up, no fail.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Got a similar one stating that there was an $1100 charge on my Amazon Prime Visa for an iPhone. Immediately knew it was a scam - I'm an android phone fan all the way. They called several times.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah I got the same call didn’t press anything just hung up. They called back 20 times not kidding. Used different numbers area codes and unknown number. I’m still a little ticked about it !!!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
It’s amazing how many people out there have so much crap ordered that they can’t keep everything straight

That’s who this prays on

Haven’t used Amazon, makes me furious

Am I jealous of the convenience? Maybe

I bet most people wouldn’t use them either if they knew the people that were making freelance deliveries for them….

I know I know who am I to judge..I was in that ne’er do well category at one point

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
Registered to (or was)

DWIGHT WAHLBORG SEATTLE, WA
If I knew your phone number, I could easily make calls with your number showing up in caller ID. I've known how for a couple of decades since I use to have a job that involved learning IP telephony. Scammers, particularly the ones from Pakitstan that typically run this scam, use random US numbers to seem more legit. I have some A-hole texting me telling me to stop calling him. I never call anyone on my cell phone as I only have it in case of emergencies. But someone is using my number for some scam.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
If I knew your phone number, I could easily make calls with your number showing up in caller ID. I've known how for a couple of decades since I use to have a job that involved learning IP telephony. Scammers, particularly the ones from Pakitstan that typically run this scam, use random US numbers to seem more legit. I have some A-hole texting me telling me to stop calling him. I never call anyone on my cell phone as I only have it in case of emergencies. But someone is using my number for some scam.

Right.

Not always random numbers, though. Sometimes they use a number with your own area code to make it seem like someone local trying to reach you. I just laugh when I see an incoming 317- number. They never leave a voice mail. I still have a 317- number, but no longer live in that state.