FYI... Fret crowning file for 14 bux..

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I surf AliExpress occasionally to see what kinda goofiness they have currently..

I just found this.. I ordered one .. I'll let ya know how it does.... but for 14 bux, and if you're only doing a couple of guitars it's hard to beat... they have a slightly different configuration for 3 bux, but I wouldn't trust a 3 dollar fret file for all the tea they have over there..

rock on

r

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I surf AliExpress occasionally to see what kinda goofiness they have currently..

I just found this.. I ordered one .. I'll let ya know how it does.... but for 14 bux, and if you're only doing a couple of guitars it's hard to beat... they have a slightly different configuration for 3 bux, but I wouldn't trust a 3 dollar fret file for all the tea they have over there..

rock on

r
May wanna fix title to 'FILE'

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

Attachments

• grammar police.jpeg
    grammar police.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 26

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Let us know how it works! My biggest concern is that it is a little too wide, which makes rolling the file to create a proper profile (not just a crown) nearly impossible. But if you just want a decent crown, it looks like the "diamond-like" grit could work OK.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
i took my strat in ( this was many years ago) to a guitar store that i had been dealing with,,i used to get my tele pickups there and have them installed..was in the 70's.. i din't have the time to do it myself oh..and i had a gibson bucker installed in the middle position on the tele..ok...so fast forward a coupl yrs..and i call their "tech" up and ask him if he can do a fret crowing for me..he's not there but the person who answers the phone say's sure he's good at that stuff i say ok..i bring it down there leave it at the place with instructions to do the crowning and so on...a few days later ( i paid for the work ahead of time that was their policy then and so far i had no complaints) i get my strat..i'm told they are very busy that day..i put my strat into the car drive back to my place and take it out i look at it..and not only were the frets not crowned they were barely even there..someone had filed them down almost to the fretboard and flat topped them no crown nothing...i called the place up i'm really pi--ed off..i mention their tech they say he hasn't worked for them in a week or so and they don't have one at the moment..i tell them what happened they said no not possible no one has done any work on the instruments here since their tech quit..turns out the rookie that answered the phone decided to try his hand at guitar necks..he did it..i only got a refund for my cost to destroy my frets nothing else...you may say..well sue em..you bet not in canada..it's almost impossible to do here..i still have the neck still have the filed down frets..i bought a new neck from performance guitars in cali and put it on myself..eventually i may get new frets on the old one prolly stainless crowned properly and never have to worry about idiots workin on my guitars again..

tomasz

Tele-Holic
OK, i sed I'd report back.. sorry nothing to report except RUN AWAYYYYY .. this thing is a POS... and that's the best thing I can say about it...

live 'n learn... a $14.00 lesson....

at least you haven't spend it on coffee or something useful! ;)
Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
OK, i sed I'd report back.. sorry nothing to report except RUN AWAYYYYY .. this thing is a POS... and that's the best thing I can say about it...

Us lifetime cheapskates are always looking for a way to sidestep The Man. How much time and money do we invest in that?? In my old age, time and money are both diminishing quantities. I now let The Man have his due - and what's left of my cash.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted

I thought it looked very similar to one I bought last year and came to the same conclusion. :(

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Last edited:

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
What did you not like about it, Ron?
the shaft is 3/8ths, or 10 mm.. just way too wide, with cheesy grooves that appear to be irregular... and the shaft is cast metal, it is not a nice machined piece...
Can't use it to crown frets. Can you use it to eat Cheetos?
the dawggone thing is so big it keeps mashin' 'em... I reckon you could poor some cream 'n cheese on the pile and make Cheeto Alfredo...

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
How about those pro-nailcare "diamond" files available on the Bay of EEEEEE?
Smallish, but if the diamond-dust is real, or real-ish, that should be good.
Peace - Deeve