1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FX to "feature" bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by alex1fly, Apr 12, 2021.

1. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

If you're a guitarist that plays bass as well, or you play with a bassist that has some improvisation chops, you have probably wanted to highlight the bass playing at some point. Trade solos, put the bassist in the spotlight for a minute, things like that. What kinds of signal chain manipulation lends itself well to featuring the bassist? I'm thinking nothing too wild, but something that will get the bass a little more punch, brightness, and cut through a mix.

My go-to is to have the bass guitar volume and tone down at 8 or so as a default, and then punch both up to 10 (or 11) for the solo. This adds a bit of extra volume and high end which translates to a little more cut over the guitars, drums, etc.

Any other ideas or successful methods for doing this?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Some fuzzes work great for what you're talking about, but that may be "too wild" in context.

An EQ pedal with a clean boost could also do exactly what you're looking for, depending on the amp and speaker it's working with. Boss and MXR, among others, make highly regarded units with these features.

Telecasters84 and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 TDPRI Member

Volume boost is an obvious one, and there are plenty of pedals that do that. EQ can also help, find the spot in the mids which sounds good and helps cut a mix and accentuate it. A little distortion can go a long way too, adding sustain and accentuating the mids and highs. It doesn't have to be much, even a very light overdrive can have the effect you want.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

For bass solos...

DA2A1F1B-395D-49BA-8C50-604B11A67847.jpeg

Seriously, I either use a compressor with the level high so it acts like a boost but controls transients nicely if a pop or snap.

my bass rig also has foot switchable EQ so I can sort it there too.

Reedt2000 and Killing Floor like this.
  5. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

This is my go to when it’s time to step out...

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

A tight reverb sounds good on a bass. I play fretless a lot and reverb is great with that. An OD or fuzz and/or octave works well to make a bass step up but not too weird. Chorus or envelope filters do well with bass. Just like guitar a little change from the usual tone makes a nice temporary impact.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Great envelope filter for bass:
    upload_2021-4-13_12-36-58.jpeg

8. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Cool. Thanks for the ideas! I agree - anything that "changes" the tone a bit makes it stand out.

Reedt2000 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.