1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

fuzz!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jipp, Aug 23, 2014.

1. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

iv been looking at fuzz pedals. and to be quite frank. i feel like a ship out of water. so, i figured i ask a quick question or two. from my understanding, fuzz comes in two camps, germanium ( smoother ) and transistor ( not so smooth). simple enough. but now, if you look at so many fuzz pedals makes you wonder how their can be so many flavors. seems you would put both in a box, toggle and be done. i usually over think things, but im probably over simplifying this. laughs. anyhow, so what are the popular circuits for fuzz. and do they really all sound different if their are two types. can one fuzz pedal cover the majority of ones fuzz fix?

chris.

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Having built a few over the past 5 years or so, a Silicon Fuzz Face is a great place to start - but the top-end disappears when you ease the Fuzz back - leave it maxed and use your guitar's volume control to back the gain off.

There are some great articles here about the different 'flavours' of Fuzz...
    http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php

Silicon boxes are normally negative ground - and can be powered 'daisy-chain' style with other pedals. Germanium boxes are more commonly positive ground - so use a battery or a separate wall wart to avoid any 'shorts'.

Essentially, it's easier to get hold of PNP Ge trannies than NPN ones - and this is reflected in the use of positive ground.

Personally, nothing scratches the 'Fuzz Itch' like a Germanium Tonebender MKII...

I had a Biyang Fuzz Star which covered a wide range of sounds (selectable clipping diodes for the most part).

3. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

For years I tried (in vain) to get this one cool distortion sound... maybe I went through twenty dirt boxes... I avoided fuzz as I thought it was just an outdated/untamable relic...
    Man, I use it a lot now.
    My Fulltone '70 cleans up well... and then as I add volume... hair stands up on the neck of every note....

4. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

There are as many fuzzes as there are guitars. I like to build them with Ge, but silicon sounds fantastic too. You'll have to decide if you want a Big Muff PI kind of circuit or a Fuzz Face kind of circuit, or any one of the plethora of other fuzzes.

For my tastes the Fuzz Face kind of fuzz is the most flexible with the guitar volume knob to clean up, though they can be picky with any other pedals in front of them.

Ge is not necessarily smoother. Silicon can sound just as good or better in any given circuit. Ge gain can change drastically with heat, which can give silicon an advantage.

When I build a fuzz for someone, I build kind of what they want ,then have them play it, and then I tweak as needed. So what you'll have to do is play several in order to get an idea of which works best for your style.

Of those I've listened to online, the MJM London Fuzz seems the most similar to the fuzz sound I like.

CHAD

5. garage_band

garage_band TDPRI Member

I just got rid of a Biyang Fuzz pedal, traded it for a Proco Brat pedal.

For variety of fuzz voices, I'm looking at the Barber Trifecta, it emulates some classic fuzz pedals.

image-2035232390.jpg

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

thanks guys. i guess ill have to try a few then go in whatever direction my ear takes me. i knew it could not be as simple as i was making it out to be.
    chris.

p.s

so this is good start for a pedal configuration?
    im gonna get a fuz pedal next week just doing a little home work first.
    im new to pedals, iv been just practicing clean for so long as i was told pedals hide your mistakes, well im bored of that and want to play with pedals now. iv been collecting them for a while now so i have a bunch i got for dirt cheap. funny what kind of deals you can get when you not ready to use them.. and in no hurry.

wah/tuner/fuz/compression/dirt/mod/delay/ amp?

7. Stubbornbard

Stubbornbard TDPRI Member

That looks like a good standard way of setting it up. Just make sure you don't put a boss tuner in front of a fuzz face type fuzz ( or several others) or it may sound weird and not react to your guitars volume control. I have loads of fuzzes and my muff type pedals are the ones that don't care about buffers. I'm not a True Bypass stickler, but all of my pedals before fuzz ( wah, tuner, boost) are true bypass. But I will say, slamming a fuzz face with a buffer is an easy way to get new sounds out of it :)

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest listening to a bunch of records, figuring out what fuzz tones you like, and then asking if anyone knows what fuzz was used on the track.

For instance, I really love Fuzz Face tones, which led me to my EQD Dream Crusher.

9. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

My Basic go to place for Germanium or Silicon Fuzz is Analogman.

But if you want a fuzz that has all the RF interference engineered out of it.

Check out the Roger Mayer Classic or Axis Fuzzes.

I myself like the Analogman Low Gain White Dot NKT275 germanium. Its some of the Best money Spent on Any Pedal.

Ive had it 10+ years.

If I want it more aggressive I drive it with a Moog Drive or a Timmy.

If I had to Live with 1 Fuzz it would be the Mayer Axis Fuzz.

But if I wanted a Fuzzface type in Germanium it would have to be 100% real NKT275. Not 1 of the repros most use and are not accurate.

London Fuzz Also makes a Great Product. Ive heard them and wont say 1 thing against them.

I heard 1 last year and Liked it a lot. No more than the Analogman, but no less either.

10. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Where would you put a tu-3 then?

11. harrisonfender

harrisonfender Tele-Meister

I have two fuzz pedals that cover all the fuzz is ever need, along with a boost pedal and an overdrive too I can get loads of dirt sounds.

My two fuzzes are:

A Fender Fuzz Wah, which simply has a fuzz amount pot wired to left/right movement, but this has the side effect of boosting volume also.

An electro harmonix Big Muff pi with tone/wicker, which gives the classic big muff sound, but allows you to take the tone control out of the circuit, and another switch takes 3 LPFs out, I love the sound of the pedal with this switch engaged.

As far as buffered bypass pedals go, I never put them in front of fuzz pedals, to make sure of this, both my fuzzes are first in my chain, then tuner, compressor, phaser, boost, overdrive, modulation, delays and reverb.

Give a few fuzzes a try and find what you prefer or find to sound best with your guitar/amplifier/setup before committing to buying

12. Stubbornbard

Stubbornbard TDPRI Member

I like the acuracy of having my tuners at the beginning of the chain, tried the Boss later in the chain but wasn't too happy with the results so I sold my TU-3 and went with a TC Electronic tuner, they're relayed true bypass and don't mess with my fuzzes at all. I could've also put the TU-3 in a seperate loop, but I liked the TC route better, and tuning all strings at once is pretty cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.