1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz Placement

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FosterF, Jan 6, 2012.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

I know this sounds like an amateur question but bare with me here..
    I just recently put a fuzz pedal on my board and I was wondering where y'all place yours?
    A while back I moved my wah to after all my dirt pedals because I liked it a little better but I've gotten a newer wah and would like to move it back to the beginning of my chain to make my pedal layout a little simpler.
    However, I've always been told to place fuzz before a wah. So before I pulled everything off the board I was wondering what y'alls opinions were on this matter?
    Thanks guys,
    -Foster

2. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Rule of thumb is wah before fuzz but sometimes it sounds better driven by the fuzz.

If you have two OD/fuzz boxes try them fore and aft of the wah

Much depends on the wah

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

A fuzz is a fickle thing. You will need to try it both ways and see what sounds better. I prefer filter > fuzz. That works best to my ears and it seems pretty full-proof so far with silicon circuits. I dunno how it would work with germs though.

4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Depends on the fuzz, I have....
    HBE Octave Fuzz
    Keeley FuzzHead
    EHX Big Muff w/wicker
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz
    Dunlop Joe Bonamassa FuzzFace

All go AFTER the wah except the Joe Bonamassa(it HAS to go in front of the wah or it sounds awful)

BTW the Wah is a Teese Picture Wah

5. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

For me it's Tele>Wah>Fuzz>Reverb>Amp (Deluxe, so I want just enough Reverb to round it out a little)

6. Navigator

Navigator Tele-Meister

I put the fuzz before the wah. I have compressor>fuzz>distortion>wah>chorus>phaser>reverb>delay. I used to have the wah at the beginning just because it was easier in terms of physical arrangement. But fuzz before the wah sounds better to me.

7. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

I have fuzz before and after my wah. You really have to try that combo out to see what works best. Now, if you have ANY buffered pedals, fuzz goes before them or ends up sounding horrible (which explains why some of us have our Boss tuners at the end of the chain ;) ).

8. Durango Twango

Durango Twango Tele-Meister

I'm no fuzz expert, but I've had no problems running a Skreddy Lunar Module, a Paul Trombetta Mini Bone, or my Rat/Fuzzish VFE Alpha Dog after my buffered Morley Maverick mini wah. They all seem to get along fine, and still respond to the volume knob on my guitar quite well. Perhaps dumb luck on my part.

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is my experience as well... Ya just gotta try it.

It really depends on the Wah and the Fuzz! My BBE behaves nicely with Fuzzes, but my old Crybaby is a little more touchy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.