Fuzz pedal withOUT lots of sustain

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hessodreamy, May 20, 2019.

1. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

Most fuzz pedals seem to have loads of sustain and very little note attack. I'm after a well defined note attack with a normal amount of note sustain (or even less, maybe). Almost like in the 50s where they'd razor blade their speakers. My big muff is really not what I'm after.

I'm thinking maybe something like Eels' Lucky Day In Hell, coming in at 9 seconds:

Any suggestions?

2. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

You probably want a Fuzzrite. The originals will run you north of 500 bucks, but there are clones out there. Here is one:

jonnyfez likes this.
  3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried turning down the guitar volume with the fuzz on?

artdecade, bgmacaw and Wally like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like fuzz sustain to me....maybe rolling off the guitar’s volume control to weaken the effect as the note is held.

bftfender likes this.
  5. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

The TC MojoMojo produces nice OD and Fuzz sounds

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

The Fuzz Factory can give you very little sustain, tons of sustain, sustain that turns into oscillation, etc. Lots of different attack characteristics as well. They have a reputation for being difficult to dial in which is not entirely undeserved, but has been somewhat exaggerated.

jddub440 and Gunerius like this.
  7. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

A fuzzrite, maestro fuzz tone or something along those lines will give you that short fuzz with a defined attack.
    I have alot of fuzzes and I love those types but they are hard to handle! You'll need some time to dial in the rig!

puddin likes this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Boss Blues Driver. Most people like this for light gain. But I have found it has a very pleasant and "fuzzy" mid-gain sound. Organic, uncompressed, no sustain.

9. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

John Mayer used a Cornish NG-2 for a sustainless fuzz tone on his cut of Crossroads. This is from an interview a few years ago.

"It's a Pete Cornish box called an NG-2. I don't think there was ever a real use for that – it's just noisy! I mean that guitar is on four – if you turn it all the way up, it sounds like… mistake!

"I just wanted something with ridiculous amounts of fuzz. And it does ridiculous amounts of fuzz, but I found a tone there. It'll probably never be used on anything again.

"There's also no sustain, so it's very hard to play with a pick on that. A couple times I tried soloing on Crossroads with a pick, with that pedal, it doesn't sound right.

"You have to play really staccato notes, and then it sounds cool. [sings] If you start going waaahhhhh [sings big sustaining note], the note doesn't trail off and it just sounds bad."

10. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Sounds like a gated fuzz to me. Something like a Fuzz Factory, Mastotron, or any fuzz with a bias knob that can starve the signal. The new Keeley Fuzz Bender is a tone bender clone that has a bias knob that I plan on checking out.

Rhyming Orange likes this.
  11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

If you don't mind the cheapness, the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz covers a lot of fuzz territory for $25.

Coldacre, E5RSY and Gunerius like this.
  12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

You may want to try just using a noise gate after the fuzz and clamping down on it really hard. Then you would have the tight gated sound, and the Big Muff sound (Assuming you like that).

You can find used noise gate pedals for dirt cheap.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

MXR Variac Fuzz. Pretty awesome, pretty versatile.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, but they've been on backorder since last month's JHS Pedals video where Josh lets the cat out of the bag that it is an exact clone of the old BOSS FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz...which is itself a clone of the old Univox Super Fuzz...and for around $30 new.

15. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

Sounds like an Electro Harmonix Satifaction fuzz might sound similar.

16. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

On second thought - one of the more velcro sounds on the DOD Carcosa might come closer.

jddub440 likes this.
  17. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Are you describing a gated fuzz?

Switchy likes this.
  18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, anything that is Fuzz Face-based, and has a trimpot for setting the bias, will do the same thing. Something like the Eric Johnson sig FF already has the bias voltage set to ~3.2VDC (which is low, because the optimal "textbook value" is 4.5VDC - 5VDC) right from the factory. I think the Hendrix sig FF is just the opposite, with the bias voltage up around ~6VDC or so, but it also should have the identical trimpot.

...So, since MXR falls under the Dunlop umbrella, the Classic 108 will also have the same trimpot.

Since the goal is to purposely misbias into a gated effect, I'd personally concentrate on finding the cheapest silicon-based Fuzz Face derivative that I could find.

As a second option, many (most? all?) octave fuzzes will kill sustain by virtue of their function. The potential issue with that effect is that it can get kind of plinky and thin sounding, especially when you roll back your volume knob. Oz Noy does this kind of regularly, using Octavia-based fuzzes (unless he's gone and switched to something else), to get this sort of sitar-like effect.

Jsil13 likes this.
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I used to have an original Univox Super Fuzz when I was in high school. I think I paid like maybe $30 for it then. I gave it away to a buddy when I went to college, wonder what it's worth today.

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

I would try a Tone Bender variant. I have a EQD Tone Reaper that does exactly as you described, and doesn't get sustain-y until past 3 o'clock.

Jsil13 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.