Fuzz pedal that works after a buffer?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kelsey, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

Are there any fuzz pedals that work well after a buffer? I use a buffer/interface at the front of my pedalboard and it works well with boost and OD pedals after it - good tone and dynamic response. Is there a fuzz that will sound good and dynamic and clean up well when used after a buffer?

2. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My Little Big Muff works just fine after a buffer. But cleans up...not so much.

4. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

+1. That's a good value as well. Real bang-for-buck champion.

On the other hand, many wahs (including the JB Crybaby and some Fulltone Clydes) have a buffer so you can use any fuzz after it.

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Um, I think you mean the other way around.
    Many fuzzes (especially germanium) do not like a buffered pedal in front of them.

6. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I have all my fuzz before the buffer. The problem you face is that while Silicon mostly work ok after the buffer they generally don't clean up. Most Germanium fuzz will clean up but don't like buffers before them. You could maybe research if there's any hybrid Ge/Si fuzzies that can do both.

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

What about the Amptweaker Tight Fuzz ?
    Here's a bit from their site...
    "One of the important differences between the TightFuzz and most 'reissue' fuzz boxes is that with the addition of the Tight control in front of the fuzz circuit, the input of the fuzz circuit is effectively buffered from the guitar....but in a compensated way. A common problem with the original fuzz designs is that circuits with low output impedances like those in overdrive pedals and wah pedals, or the output of active pickups, can completely change the bias and gain structure. The result is often an odd sound or squeals, unusual feedback etc. The buffering in the TightFuzz simulates the impedance of a guitar, so that the fuzz circuit works in the normal way it's intended, and any low impedance circuit CAN be used in the loop or in front of the pedal."

And the link...http://www.amptweaker.com/page/TightFuzz-by-Amptweaker-70.aspx

8. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer TDPRI Member

Pretty much agree but the Silicon Fuzz Face types like the MXR 108 do clean up with the guitar volume. But , the Germanium are better for that. My Red Dunlop FF sounds incredible with the volume rolled off on my Tele. I had the 108 and it would clean up but wasn't a sweet tone like the Germanium.
    Silicon Big Muff style fuzzes do not clean up.

So I guess I am not really offering any help here.:confused:

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Just use a true bypass fuzz first in your chain, before any buffer, problem solved.

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I guess BJFE effects became Bearfoot FX. I used to play some of the BJFE fuzzes. They're not typical fuzzes and aren't really placement-sensitive.

http://www.bearfootfx.com/fuzz/

11. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Pete Thorn uses a BOSS FZ-2 on his big pedalboard (below) because it's not impedance sensitive.

12. Hallo Spencer

Hallo Spencer TDPRI Member

I'm waiting for the parts to build this pickup simulation here: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

I have a Big Muff and a Wolly Mammoth sitting in a buffered parallel effectsloop (for blending in dry signal) and am not happy with the sound of the Mammoth after the buffer. The Muff also has some really harsh top end. I hope I can solve this with this little circuit here. Will check back here and tell you about results. Maybe it works. Clean Up will be difficult but you could try and build the update version (if you scroll down) and put the volume pot on the side of the box with a big knob so you can clean up with your foot.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The easy solution

14. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

Try a Keeley Fuzz Head. Mine works well wherever I put it.

15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Try the Boss Fuzz pedals.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

The only Fuzz that I might have a problem with is the Keeley Broken Glass.. Haven't really tried moving it around the board.. my other keeley fuzz pedals are fine.

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Steer clear of the FZ-3 though. It sounds horrible imo (and lots of other people's too i think. Every one for sale on eBay is like new - not a good sign.)

18. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Point. Either way, those wahs are designed to work with a fuzz after them. Fuzz doesn't ordinarily work well post-wah.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.