1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz or overdriven

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:08 PM.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I guess for this song. But you could post other classics.

I am avoiding google.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I actually recorded this song a few years ago, at a buddy's Pro Tools home studio- just fior kicks.
    I did a double tracked vocal and 3 guitar parts, and by buddy who is a recording rat , did the acoustic guitars, the bass, drum tracks, and all background voices.
    I spent 3 hours on song, and he spent weeks and it turned out great.

I used my MIM Telecaster ( using all 3 pickup positions for 3 parts) into a cranked Fuzx Face type fuzz, built for me by 11 Gauge! ( thanks, Keith)
    Into my buddy's SF Princeton Reverb- whisper quiet.
    Note: I used the fuzz, cranked on all 3 parts ( using Tele volume knob), and because we were in an apt., and I had to be quiet. you could not hear the guitar thru PR when fuzz was off!
    But it recorded great!

Digital Larry and uriah1 like this.
  3. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Just built myself a tonebender pedal last week. I was playing with it today, thinking it sounds unlike any fuzz tones I know, and wondering what songs were made with one.

This song sounds pretty similar to it!

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

From the first album i ever owned
    Marc Bolan before he discovered Glam

5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

one very overdriven Carlsbro Stingray Super.amp has thing called "SUZZ" channel.2 guitar tracks on it...tascam 8 track and me making a Right Din like a Blizzard Of Nails my mates doing the vocal and the harp in the bridge
    Bass through same amp
    all straight to amp...nothing between
    close and ambient mic,d
    add drum loop and vocal...job done
    notice ex g/f in the vid...holding an MP40

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 9:06 PM
  6. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I think I remember reading the fuzz circuit was built into his guitar by some electronics guy he happened to know at the time.

uriah1 and Wulf like this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

that seemed to be something a few toyed with back then to kick a clean amp into something a bit more...well gritty and raunchy

uriah1 likes this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wasn’t it the kinks that cut a couple speakers up to get a sound.

Geo and Wulf like this.
  9. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Yes I remember hearing about the 'sliced up speaker' story from two different instances in the 60s--Kinks' Dave Davies and if I'm recalling correctly the other one was a black soul musician in the US

Now I'm not gonna be satisfied until I find what I'm half remembering, I'll update if I find anything

I have the EHX 2018 reissue of the Triangle Big Muff--which is true to the original 1969 version of the triangle rather than the more common 1970/71 models--very butter smooth for a muff, lends itself well to whole 'violin-like' thing while still remaining deliciously tameless

uriah1 likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

razor blade..out of frustration with a too clean sounding amp..1 speaker El Paso amp

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM
    uriah1 likes this.
  11. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

One of classics.

12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

fuzzy enough?
    a rare brit punk classic
    classic is many things to many people...one mans classic car is another mans pile of scrap

uriah1 likes this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

overdiven to ...well...good noise...a good tight working class band ..from near my area....north east england...some tight rhythm..and nice lead in it too
    lyrics poignant in uk back then ...and perhaps.....now
    if so then that makes it a classic due to relevance as to what is ha....ok ...make up your own minds ..heres the song
    england isnt all village greens and duckponds with red telephone boxes bowler hats and cor blimey guvnor...that is a MYTH i wish to dispel....it isnt like that here dont think it ever was...its a rough gritty place with rough gritty people...and all the better for it

a different take...north east band covers another north east band. this version chugs powerfully along with bit of feedback creeping in again some nice lead licks in there

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 11:59 PM
    ClashCityTele, radiocaster and uriah1 like this.
  14. ForgeHound

ForgeHound TDPRI Member

Dylan Carlson's Earth--early pioneer in drone metal whose 90s work was highly influential on all the 'psych fuzz' metal that's so popular today
    https://equipboard.com/pros/dylan-carlson/fender-classic-series-72-telecaster-thinline?src=button
    played on a thinline telecaster no less
    "Well, I actually used one on “Phase III” on the first song “Harvey” and on “Tibetan Quaaludes.” And when I was, you know, gone for a while during my hiatus, I was listening to a lot of Tele players like Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan, and Roy Nichols (Merle Haggard’s guitar player), a lot of Cornell Dupree, that R&B player. So it was the guitar I was listening to a lot and I remember how much I liked it back in the day. So I wanted to try something new, and I like the Telecaster how basic it is. It’s kind of like a guitar you have to work at or work with. It’s not super-easy to play like a Les Paul. It has its own thing that you kind of have to kind of know…I don’t know. Early Led Zeppelin was actually done on Teles, and it was the first solid body and the simplest one, and so that had a lot to do with it."

heavy metal pioneers listen to Danny Gatton

15. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

jesus and mary chain
    fuzz feedback bliss

ozcal likes this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, there's the story of Dave Davies slicing up the speaker in his Elpico amp.

But the thing is, he daisy-chained the Elpico into an AC30, and I'll betcha dollars to donuts Shel Talmy put the microphone on the AC30.

17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

hehe...that is probably the real truth.
    one way to push an AC30 beyond it usual crunch zone
    good way to do it
    i read somewhere it was elpaso...maybe my old bonce remembers it wrong...it happens...falliable human after all

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 1:22 AM
    uriah1 likes this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

did Shel talmy write this?
    or produce it
    its early morn...no sleep and sometimes i forget not heard this song for years

uriah1 likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

the angelic upstarts...singer Mensi was on a chat show with Cliff Richard...i think they thought they wouldnt get on....they did...Cliff said...its rock n roll...it speaks to the kids..its rebellious...Mensi is actually a great lad...just looks like he eats nails for breakfast...when asked if he was anti police his answer was "absolutely not we need them..im against their abuse of the power they hold"just found a newsclip from local stuff. Mensi was arrested for saving a coloured female photographer from being attacked by gang of EDL fascist supporters..and HE got arrested...justice there?...er no...he was released without charge...hero...mensi against a gang of neonazi thugs...hes a bloody hero

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    ClashCityTele and radiocaster like this.
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.