1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz instead of distortion pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleBrew, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

In the past couple of months I've realized that I prefer getting a distorted tone old-school-style with a fuzz box instead of a distortion pedal. I sold my distortion pedal, and settled on the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz as my main fuzz squeeze (I also got rid of my OD pedal as it didn't sound as good as the OD generated by the Blues Jr I got in January). It's versatile enough to go from light OD-style crunch to buzzy fuzz, with darker tones, too.

Anyway, the question is, who else out there prefers to do it like they did before distortion pedals came into vogue: fuzz box instead of distortion pedals?

2. Talmir

Talmir Tele-Holic

as a 60´s music buff I´d have to say I love the fuzz.

Distortion pedals sound a bit too clinical for me :p

3. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

yah me too, I likes me a bunch of fuzz as well!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I usually don't play with a lot of gain, and prefer low gain OD pedals like the Barber LTD, but if I need a searing lead tone once in a while, I prefer a fuzz (germanium-based) to most distortion pedals (currently I'm using a Fuzz Face clone built from a kit, though I'd really like to be able to afford an Analogman Sunface).

5. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

I love fuzz. I am a fuzz addict....Lately I like running my TS808 clone as a clean boost into my BigMuff clone.:twisted:

6. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

You know my answer!

See back row, center section:

[​IMG]

7. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

Count me in as a big fan of 60's style fuzz, latest acquisition is an EH metal muff, great pedal.

8. tele-martini

tele-martini Tele-Afflicted

I will eventually join the FUZZ ranks. Have two different OD pedals right now and have often wondered if a fuzz pedal would yield results too close to what I already have?? I do love that 60's tone though. Sounds like they are a slightly different animal than the average Distortion or OD pedal.

9. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

I wanted something for a '60's garage band/British invasion sound so, hopefully, I should be receiving my Mojo Hand Huckleberry fuzz in the mail today. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

10. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Fender Blender....a cool fuzz pedal with a blend control to blend it with your clean signal
    [​IMG]

11. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I was just thinking about this. I recently sold my multi-effects unit and have been building a pedal board. I bought a bunch of pedals, including a modded Blues Driver, which I expected to be the only pedal I really use the majority of the time. I also purchased a really low budged fuzz pedal (around $50 new), and I am finding that is the pedal I am using the most.

I think the reason is because I have an amp that does not sound good at low volumes, but I play in my house and need to keep it low. The fuzz seems to give me the nicest tone at low levels...so thumbs up to fuzz for me too.

12. scoots

scoots Tele-Holic

i like the blues driver. never tried one with the mod that's popular with these, but i've heard good things about this as well

13. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

With the gain cranked, the Blues Driver gets a bit fuzzy itself. It pairs up nicely with a fuzz pedal for higher gain.

Blues Driver for rhythm + Fuzz for lead = a nice simple and versatile rig.

14. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It depends on what I'm playing. I have a Tubescreamer I rely on most of the time but I do like having my Yardbox on the board too. Needless to say, they're used for completely different stuff. I'm still getting used to the germanium fuzz thing and just figured out at a gig last Saturday that it sounds best with the volume/gain wide open.

15. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

What? Nobody's mentioned a Rat? I've got the 3-way Keeley mod. While I've used mine forever.....I'm thinking of replacing it with an OCD. I love the Rat but I don't like how it's hard to coordinate with my Klon OD.

I've also got a Fuzz Factory....but it's just a fun toy - you never know what to expect if you step on it. I'd like to audition a Box of Roc - the demo on youtube looked promising.

16. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

I like em all. Defnitely love my OCD for overdrive.....have a lot of love for the 69 Fuzz pedal though....way different animal....work pretty well together too. Of course, when it's balls to the wall....the RAT comes out of its hole. :)

17. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

That's pretty much how I use my Blues Driver. I wasn't happy with the last (and probably THE last) fuzztone I had, a Flashback Fuzz. It was very muddy and quacky. Tried a Fab Tone, but it was over the top and impossible to tame. So now I use the BD for buzzy/crunchy OD, and a Tubescreamer TS7 for lower gain OD. It works for me, anyway. I'd love to find a pedal that gives that buzzsaw tone that Richard's had on "Satisfaction".

18. sumed

sumed Tele-Meister

Likes me some FUZZZZ couldn't live without my Keeley Fuzz Head!

19. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

The reissue Maestros are both hard to find and not as good as the original. I've found the Ashbass Fuzzbrite to nail that buzzy 60s fuzz tone (ala "Satisfaction").
    It's the big silver box on the top right on my board (pic posted earlier in this thread). TeleBrew also has one (though I seem to remember seeing it up for sale). He may be able to vouch for the Fuzzbrite's ability to "Satisfy"!

Works for me.

20. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Tele-Meister

I've been using a Bjorn Juhl's (from the BJF effects) Folk Fuzz I built myself.
    He released the circuit for this silicon tranny fuzz and it's very OD-like.
    Very good compromise and terrific tone and dynamics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.