1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz - how do you use it? What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Jul 3, 2020.

1. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

downloadx.jpg

2. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

[​IMG] After the mid 70's I was not much of a fuzz guy (mostly Fender type amps).
    Around "2000 and I don't remember," I got to play with a Fuzz Factory, and loved the very spitty sound it could get, but it was too wild for me. Then the Mastotron came out, and I gave it a try. I liked the more "Big Muff-ness it could get with the 3-way switch set more to a bassy fuzz. It was also nice running into an Octavia type pedal (when run into an Ottava Magus, pressing A & D 5th fret on the E and A strings will give you a 4th DOWN subharmonic D. . .or is it E? but it is a subharmonic tone below the open 6th string).

These days, I use it to drive my overdrive pedals (emphasis on the middle position). Too scratchy alone, but set up to be smooth, and touch touch sensitive (very "un-fuzz-like character). It cleans up well with the guitar's volume control.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    dlew919 likes this.
  3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Big Muff Nano, bridge pickup, tone down, clean amp. Sometimes I boost it with a GE-7 in front with an upper mid boost. Boosting with the OD side of the KoT in front sounds good too.

With an LP on the bridge pickup it'll sustain forever.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200723_154736771.jpg What I have these days.
    Ranked by use, from right to left, top to bottom.

I use them to make horrid noise. And sometimes musical noise.

Chicago Stompworks Green Russian and Barber (black ram) mostly.

FenderLover and dlew919 like this.
  5. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Just got me a Spaghetti Western Fuzz by Bigfoot fx! Its based on a Moserite Fuzz 60's style Fuzz. Love how it sounds. Sounds great for Garage Rock, 60's style pop music and as the name denotes for Spaghetti Western style Fuzz tones. I've played it by itself but still trying to figure out where to place it in the pedalboard.

I've heard lots of people recommend putting the Fuzz first in the signal chain even before a tuner especially if its a vintage style fuzz like fuzz face or tonebenders etc. So does this rule also apply to the Spaghetti western fuzz or would be ok to place them anywhere in the chain? Initially I put it after the SP compressor and RC booster. That made it really noisy, the RC booster was the culprit. So maybe later today I try placing it first thing after the Polytune tuner...What's your recommendation? Thank you!

fuzz1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

As far as I’m aware, placing fuzz first is important for old style pedals that need to see the impedance of your guitar signal. They kinda form up with the pickups I believe, to make an interactive unit.

My understanding is that if it’s important for any particular fuzz, you’ll hear it if you stick it first. It will clean up noticeably as you roll down the guitar volume when placed first, and it (usually) won’t do that if placed later. So, try that.

If I’m wrong, no doubt someone will be along...

Pax/
    Dean

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Well, that’s how I understand it and, even some of the overdrives that clean up really well accomplish this through the same means. In fact, Moollon (a company once known for their fuzzes) sells both low and high impedance versions of the distortions and overdrives.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  8. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

My first pedal was a 1980 big box Big Muff. It usually sounded bad, acted like it was malfunctioning. Wait, it really WAS malfunctioning. So it landed in a closet.

My second pedal was an Ibanez SD9.... OD, distortion... much more my thing. Almost 40 years later I've moved on to amp overdrive but still have the SD9 and use it for fuzz: Distortion at 3:00, Tone at 11:00, Level 2 clicks above unity. Comes out rich and fairly smooth, just like I like it.

dlew919 likes this.
  9. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Haven't used one since I was 15.

dlew919 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.