1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz - how do you use it? What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Jul 3, 2020.

1. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have a fuzz on my board, it doesn't get used a lot, mainly for tunes that used a fuzz or Hendrix tunes.

A Keeley Monterrey pedal with fuzz as one of the FX.

I'm not that picky about fuzz pedals like some of the posters here. Like one of my former band members used to say, "close enough for jazz".

wulfenganck and dlew919 like this.
  2. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

I've only just got started, although in the distant past I have used amps that were just 10-20W fuzz boxes :)

My first dip was the EHX ****(erel) Fight Plus - I like the fuzz sound - it's aggressive enough but quite civilised - but it can't be decoupled from the wah so that's for sale...

Currently, influenced by the That Pedal Show rush of enthusiasm for Tone Benders, I have a silicon BC Bender from the GMCSpares eBay store, which is definitely NOT very civilised. But great fun and very useful for solo boost.

However I'm interested in experimenting further - so does anyone know of a fuzz with a similar feel to the ****(erel) Fight Plus - is it based on one of EHX's fuzz pedals?

dlew919 likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I am intrigued by the mxr sub machine but am actively resisting. Check out the videos, though...

dlew919 likes this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For a while I was using and loving a Fulltone '70 for fuzz face style distortion and thick fuzz mayhem along with an Ashbass Fuzzbrite for more 60's nasal fuzz tones, but I recently traded both for an Earthquaker Eruptor that seems like it does the best of both along with the added bonus of being able to go anywhere in the chain.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have four fuzz pedals.
    1. Fuzzy Lady by Plum crazy
    2. Soulbender by Fulltone
    3. Buzztone by Jordan
    4. Fuzz 50 by Lovepedal

All are good and have their moments. However, the one remaining on my board at this time is the Fuzz 50. You have to play around with fuzz pedals to get the setting you are after. On each of those pedals it is different. Also the choice of guitar is also a factor. My favorite sound is the Townsend Univox superfuzz sound with the SG P-90 through a Hi watt. I can get close with all of these. Randy California was able to get a viola tone on the song "Jewish". Complete feedback control on that recording.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. talldoug3

talldoug3 TDPRI Member

I have a Frontman 10g and no pedals. Toneland.

dlew919 likes this.
  7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

One of Youtubes best kept secrets, Millstap. Unreal tones!

BGLeduc and dlew919 like this.
  8. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I like to hookup a late 80s to mid 90s Sovtek Big Muff Pi V7, (the big green Russian one, not the new regular sized reissue). I set the distortion between 5/8 to 7/8 and run that into a Fender Princeton Reverb reissue with the tremelo on the amp set to pulse in time to the tune I'm playing.
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi V7 (Green Russian)
    SOVTEK GREEN RUSSIAN BIG MUFF

dlew919 likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Ian T--- if you're trying to get that classic Hendrix tone I agree it's hard to beat a FF combined with a Crybaby, controlling gain from the guitar volume knob.

On the other hand, if you want a great lead distortion tone of course there's many other ways to go-- using something like that OCD into a Fender amp, or using something like a Marshall. Or doing the SRV thing with an 808 into a clean Fender.

I personally don't like using fuzz as the foundation for my lead tone. I prefer stacking overdrives and/or using a good tube amp that has a great overdriven tone. Where I gravitate towards fuzz is to use it as a FUZZ-- to sound really different than a more conventional lead tone. To get a sound that really only can be created with a fuzz. For that purpose I find other fuzzes to be more interesting to my ears. Of course it all depends on the whole signal chain and the sound you hear in your head....and some fuzzes definitely prefer single coils over humbuckers...

To each their own, as they say.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i'm an extensive use of the behringer super fuzz, which is a clone of the boss hyper fuzz. which is out of print and deserves a reissue because the prices are soaring on the second hand market.
    it's great at making single coils sound humbucker thick, and the clean boost is thick as hell. all three modes are very usable.

i also really like my mxr blue box.

i have a few other fuzzes but those two are the ones i'm attached to.

i go for pretty blown out fuzz sounds.

dlew919 likes this.
  11. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

For many years I had a homemade op-amp / diode clipping fuzz box and basically every solo had that on it (for sustain and volume boost).
    As I matured :p and got a better amp (AC15C1) I have come to prefer to let the amp do the work, and keep it more breakup rather than out and out distortion. So mostly I use guitar volume and / or flipping to the Top Boost channel nowadays.
    However I still have a fuzz on hand - the Zoom MS-100BT RAT model, but not set very distorted. I mostly use this for slide (including lap steel) when it gives a great classic rock slide sound. Just slide up to a double stop with the fuzz — no way does that lap steel sound Hawaiian!

dlew919 likes this.
  12. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Holic

I'm partial to this one myself:

T6NzdkJo.jpeg

dlew919 likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Thnaks for the clip. I had not heard of him / them.

I just bought the Black Dub album. A second hand copy.

For 34 yen.

That's about US$0.32

It is costing about 450 yen in shipping mind. That's another US$4.21. Still think I got a good deal though.

Thanks.

Pax/
    Dean

stephent2 likes this.
  14. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

VL proctavia
    Fulltone Octafuzz
    Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface
    Fulltone 69
    EH Green Big Muff Pi reissue

I'm covered?

FenderLover likes this.
  15. REDstrat55

REDstrat55 TDPRI Member

I like rolling of the volume to cut out some of the fizzy high end. There is a big tonal difference if you use humbuckers or SC pups. On the germanium fuzz, use it first in the chain to avoid buffering your signal into the fuzz. I really like a mid focused OD after fuzz or into a dirty amp. Also I never liked the fuzz into my clean tube fender amps and never realized it's potential until I played it on a EL84 amp ran hot. Also sounds great in a cranked Marshall Plexi style tube amp. It must be played loud!

16. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

I have about 20 fuzz boxes. I keep 2 on my big board (EQD Bit Commander and Erupter)
    With my small board I grab 2-3 fuzzes when I'm leaving for a gig and use one of them in front of the small board. Lately I have been using a Maestro FZ-1 Clone by Reuss a lot. This fuzz I use for lead tones, and these days I'm I to that 13th floor elevators-esque sound.
    I used to use a Wilson 5 knob fuzz as an always on overdrive and just ride the volume knob but since I've been using a humbucker equipped guitar lately it doesn't clean up as nice so I've had to add an overdrive to the board for crunch tones.
    Other fuzzes that are battling the Reuss are EQD Terminal that I mostly use for recording, a Wilson Knuckle Dragger, a Fuzz Factory, a Catalinbread Antichthon, a Hudson Octave fuzz or maybe a Tone bender mk 1.5 (I think) clone from Fjord Fuzz. But 90% of the time i use the Reuss these days and the last year maybe.
    If the fuzz has two knobs, and doesn't have crazy amounts of gain, I usually max them out since I'm going for a fuzzed out lead sound and those early fuzz circuits have a gain structure I dig.
    The 5 Knob which is a GE fuzz face type pedal I did back off the gain just a bit but I often used another fuzz with it for more fuzzed out tones.

17. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I owned an original Univox Super Fuzz as a kid when I was learning bass and then guitar. Stupidly sold it because it wasn't getting me the "Pete Townshend" sound - of course this is back in the early 80's before hi-def TV, so you couldn't see what he was stomping on in The Kids are Alright...

Bought a Guyatone TZ-2 the Fuzz that does a good job of one side of the Super Fuzz, but it didn't play well with other pedals. Lent it to a friend who lost it.

Got the Keeley Fuzz Head and it plays well with pedals; I usually use it as a solo boost into an overdrive or an EL84 amp cranked. Sounds great.
    Bought a Keeley Electric Mudd 2 years ago, and it's a crazy 6-transistor take on the Univox Super Fuzz. It can do that sound, but way more. It is very picky about amps - clean amps sound way different than dirty amps, and the amps need to be at a certain volume for it to work. It's been hard to dial in this one at home...

I also experimented and found that placement mattered for me; I liked the fuzz first, then compressor, then wah then into the overdrive pedals. Worked better than having the wah before the fuzz.

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Man, for some reason, this thread has really given me GAS. I don't usually suffer too much from GAS. When I get it, it usually only lasts a day or two, and I get my fill from just the actual researching of stuff. I don't even think it's really pedal GAS, more like research / learning GAS.

But this time, I'm seriously jonesing. Thinking germanium, for dramatic cleanup when riding the guitar's vol. knob. But I'm stuck back at my original dilemma when I got my VOX AC4HW1 - namely, which one would work with this pedal fussy Top Boost only amp? If I get one, I might just go with the standard, full size germanium Fuzz Face by Dunlop. Seems like a classic, safe bet.

And, on the other hand, do I really need one? I already have the Danelectro The Breakdown, and I mostly use that cranked, and it does kinda clean up with the vol. knob. Sorta. So, really, I think my money would be better spent on a better tremolo (preferably harmonic), which I actually have a use for.

Pax/
    Dean

19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

You should be ashamed! That’s awesome!!

Fretting out likes this.
  20. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've read most of this thread and am a little surprised that I'm the only one who digs the Camel Toe? The re-issue adds a tone control to the fuzz side, and you can swap the order of the Fuzz/OD, or of course use them separately.

Other fun:
    Boss FZ-3
    Ronsound Hairpie
    Fuzz Face
    French Toast
    Ram's Head

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.