1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz - how do you use it? What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Jul 3, 2020.

1. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

This video inspires me!

Spin it to 20:00 = strat with the volume rolled down -> silicone fuzz face -> clean amp.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

2. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Oh I use a Suhr Rufus Reloaded Fuzz pedal to get me the tone above. Don't know why more pedal haven't tried this one.

I also have a Thorpyfx The Veteran which is fun.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

dlew919 likes this.
  3. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Like most I like a Fuzz Face into an overdrive and guitar volume turned down to clean up. I also like Astrotones for a bright setup or I put a treble booster between the FF and overdrive.

neilybob100 and dlew919 like this.
  4. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Right now I'm using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. On my board I have a Bearfoot Blueberry overdrive and the Swollen Pickle. The drive is set to add just a little bit extra and if I ever want to get a little over the top I add the SP. I don't use it very often but it's there if I need it.

Matthias and dlew919 like this.
  5. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

My fuzz needs are right now met by these 3 beauties.
    IVOR BC183 by Dustin Francis
    Analogman un Face NKT 275 White Dot, modded by Kyle Chase
    and a lovely pedal by Expresso FX.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I'm very jealous

Fretting out and deus56 like this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have a Fuzz Factory, my first and only fuzz. I use it for your usual fuzz tones as well as for some barely-controlled chaos (it also does utterly uncontrolled chaos).

I've considered a Fat Fuzz Factory at times, since my regular Fuzz Factory seems to specialize in the more "cutting"-type fuzz. But I want to experiment with higher volumes to see if that helps. I can't imagine any fuzz works ideally at bedroom volume.

dlew919 likes this.
  8. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have a Tonebender 1.5 clone from Analogman. It rules.

dlew919, kcarlos and deus56 like this.
  9. kcarlos

kcarlos TDPRI Member

I am a bit of a fuzz addict, something that didn't happen until a few years ago.

I seem to be drawn more toward ge fuzzfaces, although my tastes have expanded considerably. The acid fuzz zoink, rotobone, Blackstrap mkii are recent faves, but the one I use most for practice lately is the chase tone red velvet. It's got separate knobs for bias, bass, and mids. It's a bc183 transistor, so it's a happy medium between the darker Germanium and typically bright silicon. Adjusting the guitar's volume knob takes it from clean to crunch to fuzz.

Fuzz sounds better into an amp that's breaking up, IMO.

A couple of these are gone, but the pile has grown considerably. I might have a problem.

[​IMG]

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Holy cow man! Oh! My! And I thought I spent too much on fuzz!
    I’m more of a muff guy

How do you like that “experience” pedal?
    I’ve really been considering getting one, I have a craving for octave fuzz

I guess I’ll include a picture of my fuzz collection (sometimes I’m ashamed)

271788FE-FE4B-41A7-B657-43FE61A01073.jpeg

telemnemonics, dlew919 and kcarlos like this.
  11. kcarlos

kcarlos TDPRI Member

My fuzz situation summed up in a single image:
    [​IMG]

It's gnarly. I love it. The "swell" feature is interesting, but not something I use all the time. The experience is based on the Foxx tone machine. Original experience pedals are pricey, so if you're on a budget, you're better served keeping an eye out for something like a H.B.E. UFO. It's also based on the Foxx, has a separate switch for the octave, and a separate tone knob. It's fairly flexible and usually much cheaper.

My favorite octave fuzzes are the COB and the facelift.

Embrace your sickness. :lol:

dlew919 and Fretting out like this.
  12. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I went thru a phase where I built every fuzz pedal I could find a schematic for. I have a handful I still use.

I pretty much always feed any fuzz into a dirty amp, unless I want a spaghetti western vibe.

The Fuzz Face works best with single coil pickups IMO, and really shines on the bridge PU. It should be big and fat and outrageous. Note that you can roll the volume down a tad and the FF will clean up beautifully. Hendrix used that feature often.

That said, along with the Fuzz Face, my favs are:

1. Foxx Tone Machine - like a Fuzz Face and Octavia rolled into one but better than either.
    2. Tone Bender Mk 1 - this design was actually lost for many years until someone finally bought one of the very rare originals and drew up a schematic in the early 2000s. It's somehow nasty but not very high gain at the same time. I reach for this one most often, but it's less versatile than the Tone Machine.
    3. Ampeg Scrambler - the king of octave fuzzes. The Tone Machine is in the same league, but the Ampeg has something special about it. BTW, Ampeg sells a "Scrambler" bass fuzz now, and I have no idea if it is the same circuit as the classic fuzz, so beware.
    4. Maestro FZ-1A - very nasty, depending on the transistors benefits from very hot pickups or an adjustable booster in front. This was primary for me for years.
    5. Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz - designed by Mayer for Hendrix when he moved to a humbucking guitar. It's much like a Fuzz Face but brighter to offset the darkness of a humbucker compared to a single coil. It's also a bit grittier and nastier than a Fuzz Face.

SebC, SbS, dlew919 and 3 others like this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

but did you read the second act?

akuster777 and AAT65 like this.
  14. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wow, some serious Fuzz and very good read here!

I've only built one (Dallas Arbiter -type Fuzz Face) like more than decade ago and now have a Disnortion Micro (OD-Fuzz) in my mini pedalboard.

Always liked, never really learned how to use well enough, but still very much interested. Although I try not to slip to the dark side :D

Great info and some collections you have there!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    dlew919 and kcarlos like this.
  15. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

I use:

Mooer triangle buff (on the board)
    Zvex fuzz factory
    Behringer Super Fuzz

I want to swap the zvex onto the board, but haven’t tamed it yet.

Fretting out and dlew919 like this.
  16. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I was never into fuzz...but I guess, just for the sake of cult/ rock history, I will get the blue Hendrix Fuzz someday...
    Of all the fuzzes (incl. the horrible Big Muff crap) I've checked on YT (and in my Line6 M13) the Hendrix fuzz sounded best to me...

dlew919 likes this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh..! My......!

Nooooooo!

The Big Muff is a wonderfully gentle creature :’(

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

it's my pedalboard's worst nightmare...:eek::confused:

Fretting out likes this.
  19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

It took me more than 35 years to develop love for fuzz.
    Well, that's not completely true - I liked the sound of others, but I just was never able to integrate it into my setup.
    In march this year I gave it another try, as the more Rockabilly, Swing-oriented of my bands disbanded and my main band since has a range from 70s Funk up to some 80s New Wave and 90s Indie stuff.

Anyway, I now proudly own a DOD Carcosa Fuzz and a Keeley Monterey.
    I use the latter more for its lovely rotary and vibe effects. The fuzz remains alike an early 60s lowgain setting for edgy single-note lines and some crispy chords with a rollback of the guitarvolume.
    Also for stacking with my (lowgain) EHX OD Glove or the crunch channel of my amp. The amp is a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary. It's a more early 70s crunch-overdrive, not a highgain overdrive.

The Carcosa has a more gritty setting; if I stack it with my crunch-channel from my amp, it's for some gain-frenzy - a bit like Prince's highgain sounds. Adding some modulation gets me into heavy 70s funk like Ernie Isley or Parliament.
    It's really a fat sound, but probably only works because we're a 4-piece-band and they let me go wild from time to time.
    These are the settings of the Monterey and the Carcosa (and the EHX Glove):

20200630_235900.jpg

FenderLover and kcarlos like this.
  20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I use germanium fuzz faces, into an amp on the edge of overdriving. With the pedal dimed, it will push the amp when the guitar volume is all the way up and make the fuzz sound rougher.
    I like a course 60's biker movie fuzz when it's full on. Darker maybe, but rough textured and snarling. When I roll down the guitar volume I can get sparkly clean, or a nice overdrive sound.
    I do this into a totally clean amp too, and it's pretty much the same, but my full on fuzz sound just isn't quite as interesting, and I have to back off the pedal's volume knob.
    When I started using a ge fuzz face I tried a carbon battery with it and realized why other people like it, and why I don't. It sounds really smooth on a carbon battery. I bias my ff to sound rougher, almost spitty, on a power supply or alkaline battery.
    So if you're trying to get smooth lead sounds like eric johnson, try a carbon battery, and probably a clean amp.
    I wouldn't stack with an overdrive pedal, personally, because none of them really do the edge of breakup thing like an amp, no matter what they claim. But if it works for you, do it. Just don't forget about your guitar's volume knob. It's the best part of a germanium fuzz face.

dlew919, kcarlos and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.