1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz - how do you use it? What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Jul 3, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not a lover of the fuzz pedal. I have a germanium fuzz face. I found I could only get a sound I like when I stack it with an overdrive (and sometimes also a distortion as well).

It’s occurred to me recently that this is ‘right’ - that at least for some people going into an overdriven amp is how you use a fuzz.

But I’m curious. What do you do? What settings do you like? What other tips do you have? Why do you love it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I myself am hooked on the fuzz

I’m a muff guy myself, when I first started using fuzz I’d run an overdrive into it and always keep the overdrive on, now I mostly use a squeaky clean amp without a drive
    As far as settings I usually run my muffs with distortion all the way up although some of them have sweet spots, I usually run two muffs both rams head style with one being set louder than the first, usually I set the tone on the second one a little brighter so you really hear it when turning it on

I think it helps a lot to have a tone control, I haven’t dabbled too much with fuzz faces but have two fuzz’s without tone and they are harder to get a sound I like out of

It may be you like it better with those other pedals because you have extra tone control that way

All the advice I can give is that if you find one you like stick with it, there’s nothing worse than fuzz gas

A lot of it just comes down to experimenting

I don’t know how to link videos but there’s a pretty good video j mascis did for reverb on YouTube about staking drive and fuzz’s

3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an Electro Harmonix **** Fight. Took a little time to dial in ( and one trip back to EH for servicing ) but it gives me that nasty tone I want , a sorta buzz saw with low end and a bit of cocked wah tone to stand out.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have a Fulltone '69 germanium fuzz. I use it into an overdrive pedal, or dirty amp, and kick it on when I want a thick, sludgy, chewy sound.

Or run it into a clean amp, and kick it on when I want gain.

Mostly I like it into a slightly dirty amp. I love the way it cleans up when I back off my guitar volume.

5. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

got a "Crushstation" in my eventide H9..I just learning to crush it like a real rock lobster. good for just about anything you want to do with it..unlimited. :)

dlew919 likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Fuzz iz gud. Fuzz iz liff.

I have too many fuzz pedals. It's a thing. Fuzz gas is bad gas. My favourite this week is my Rowin LEF-606. A silicon fuzz with many talents. I usually have it set to quite a bright sound with the tone control hard to the right stop, quite fuzzy and over unity on the level, then back the guitar off. This gives velvet fuzz, through broken to outright fuzzsaw just through picking dynamics and guitar volume control. I like some, but not much, pre-amp gain on the amplifier. I can always hit it with a booster/overdrive if need, and the master volume up high, or my Champ-a-like at 2/3rds ~ 3/4 volume and ride the guitar controls to suit.

Sometimes, I go for outright skronk. Having a booster before and after the fuzz gives that option. Silicon fuzzes differently to Germanium, which fuzzes differently to op-amps, which fuzz differently to valves. This is why fuzz gas is bad.

I like fuzz. It can be infuriating, and it can hit the spot. I like making sludgy loops to play over, and fuzz does the trick.

It's not for everyone, and it's not like the ubiquitous Tube Screamer. Fuzz is simple, but requires the player to consider what they're doing, unless it's all-out mechanoise conflagration ( which can be fun )

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes! In my late 50’s before I bought my first fuzz, (I know, right?) a Fulltone ‘69. Made the same discovery you did. Just bought a Pedal Pawn Fuzz because I think what I want is silicone fuzz. I want to use it like this:

I still haven’t heard it yet because I am still away on business, but if I can get it to do this for me, I’m golden.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    dlew919 likes this.
  8. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Neck pickup, Clean Amp, Fuzz on - lower output vol on pedal to just below unity. add delay.

Then use it (single notes) in all the quiet sections of the songs.

Ok - Eddie.

9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Just got this one, I am not a huge pedal user preferring a cleaner sound, I find this very understated and fits in well with what I require

dlew919 likes this.
  10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Holic

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Super Fuzz clone from Ruess that I use just like Pete Townshend - for rave-ups, hysteria, and mass chaos. Otherwise, I am not using it all that much.

Si G X and dlew919 like this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have one in my chain, but truth be known, don't really use it much. When I do, it is to add a bit of sustain.

dlew919 likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Maybe you’d prefer a “fuzztortion”, i.e. a fuzz that blurs the line between fuzz and distortion. There’s lots of options that fit this description. I dig the DOD Carcosa. Does everything from overdrive/distortion to splatty/velcro fuzz.

dlew919 likes this.
  14. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

I have mine in the attic LOL
    Not for me.

dlew919 likes this.
  15. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Roger Mayer Octavia clone for me. When you need to be loud and proud. Also a very full Palm muted sound that works well on some songs.

Fretting out and dlew919 like this.
  16. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I use three and they rotate on and off my board depending on song selections by my band.
    1. The Ronsound Hairpie is used for Gilmour stuff and with some delay, I can get close to his sound. I use this the most of all. They are well worth the money but spring the extra dough for the mid switch. Its too scooped otherwise.

2. Fulltone Octafuzz. I dont always use the Octave part. Its a good standalone fat fuzz but its finicky about what comes before or after. I generally use an SD-1 behind it.

3. MXR Bc108 Fuzz. This pedal can do almost anything and does clean up a bit when you roll the guitar volume down. Quite versatile.

I run all these through either a 68 Princeton custom thats working a bit, or a Brown Deluxe clone thats just loafing along.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    dlew919 likes this.
  17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

This is how you use fuzz.

beeflin, Thinliner and dlew919 like this.
  18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

This, I have a tone Machine too...

dlew919 likes this.
  19. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

... I turn it on when I launch my guitar into the drum kit. :lol:

artdecade and dlew919 like this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I got this during one of the Lovepedal flash sales.

dlew919 and neilybob100 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.