1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fuzz ... and P-90 feedback desire ... a mid-life crisis issue?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Obsessed, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, a bit of backstory:

I have gone from squeaky clean surf guitar to some raunchy OD blues, but have stayed away from distortion most of my life. Fender 6L6 and 6V6 amps using a pedal board platform.

New to the P-90 world with my just acquired Grote Jazz (think Epi Century 1966 hollowbody). Love the feedback, but want more. Feeling the Jack White coming out of me in Open A like his Kay and want that single-strum-feedback-sustain-forever vibe to experiment with. He uses a Big Muff. Is that all I need?

2. Obsessed

Sample:

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Any OD pedal will give you plenty of feed back if used with a hollow body.
    I think the Big Muff would be the ticket because it won’t give you too much feedback.
    Try before you buy....if possible.
    Good luck,

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Aha.:) Is the fuzz pedal a good way to control the feedback?

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You might as well grab a Marshall full stack while you're at it.
    Then all your neighbours can partake in the crisis too.:)

6. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Nasty filthy dirt!! Love that!!!

Obsessed likes this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

the type of feedback in that video has everything to do with power tube saturation and the physical distance of your body and the guitar from your amplifier and speakers.

you can goose it a little with a fuzz or OD pedal, but it should only be the icing on the cake. where the cake is the sound that your amp and speakers have already provided.

try just cranking your amp and playing through it. then try playing your guitar as you face the speakers. if you fiddle w. the volume and tone knobs on your axe, sometimes this will alter the resonant frequencies at which feedback will occur in a given room and speaker configuration. every room is going to be a little different.

there are musical considerations too. some guitars want to feedback on a Gb or a B natural, and not a C#, for example.

what i am trying to say is, take the time to explore all these things. and then make your pedal selection a "bonus," instead of the primary means you use to obtain feedback.

as far as my pedal suggestions, i think an EHX Big Muff is perfectly fine. but it's definitely a sound that a lot of people already have. it's worth shopping around a bit. you could just as easily get a Burns Buzzaround clone, a Supa-Fuzz, a Tonebender (various historical revisions), or even a Maestro fuzz clone.

and best of luck with your search.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Yup, that is what I am doing now. Experimenting with distances facing the amp with volume. I'll practice more with it first. My thought was that the fuzz made it easier. Yup, a total P-90 greenhorn, but freaks have and fun. I'm not doing a Jack White imitation, just using his feedback technique as a guide for my own sound, so I really like your idea of adventuring into fuzz in a personal way. Thank you much.

9. Obsessed

Haaa, well we do have excess electricity to burn with the creek cranking the hydro power plant full blast, but still would not be able to run a Marshall full stack.:( Besides, my next door neighbor is too far away to even hear a full stack.:lol:

radiocaster and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is the grotesque full hollow or with a center block?

Hahaha my iPad changed Grote into the above, sorry!

I ended up returning my full hollow arch top and getting a semi hollow because it fed back at low volume but only certain notes.

Fuzz won’t control feedback like reduce the unwanted hollow body issues, but it will ADD feedback sustain to all the other notes.

I’d grab a muff but choose carefully as the are not all the same.
    Chicago Stomp Works has most of the classic versions in unpainted boxes for $59 and they sound great even compared to boutique muffs.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

i loves me some grotesque toanz!

TequilaCaster and Obsessed like this.
  12. Obsessed

My intention is to explore the use of feedback with a P-90, but my semi-hollow (with buckers) hardly does it, while my $169 full hollow makes it pretty easily. Good to know that I just need to practice more with what I've got. I am having a blast with the Grote and a $59 fuzzbox would just fit the low end stuff that Jack White uses. Thanks.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

The full hollow I returned was really an acoustic jazz box with a floating pickup and thin laminated spruce top, so more feedback than just a full hollow electric.

With the 335 style replacement I get endless sustain with muffs, and note that a muffs gain knob is also a tone control more than a dirt control.
    Gain full up cuts bass which the muff may have too much of, and gain also appears to add clarity as it boost treble and Mid’s while cutting bass.
    So rather than starting with level up and gain down like checking out an OD, I start with gain up and level down. Too little bass and I cut the gain back.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Haaaa, I don't know if you did this on purpose, but I just checked Chicago
    Stomp Works and their Muff is: (this really is a mid life crisis for me isn't it?:cry:)
    IMG_4173.JPG

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wish doing that was all you needed to do to get famous.

telemnemonics and Obsessed like this.
  16. Obsessed

Good to know. I would have never started with the gain up all the way. Thanks again.

17. Obsessed

It was Garage Rock that pulled me back into the fold. Just yell through some cheap ass gear for your creative message to be heard.

18. telemnemonics

I’m not a fan of their names and graphics but these are mine I bought used.
    If buying new I’d get the cheaper bare box deals with no graphics at all.
    Maybe they took those down for the holidays?
    The Rams Head version is a good middle ground circuit

image.jpg

Obsessed likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Check out some Reignwolf.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Here are some more feedbacking ideas.

1. Guitar>signal splitter>mini amp mounted near the strings, other leg to your main amp. This lets you get some feedback at lower volumes than you might otherwise.

2. Sometimes you may find it necessary or useful to switch the phase of your signal. An inverting pedal can do this, or even swap the speaker terminals on your amp.

3. Stand next to your amp, lean over and touch the headstock of your guitar to the speaker cab. This may be enhanced by #2 above.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.