Future vintage - best Tele of the last 30 years?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Stiles, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

With un-loaded 60’s Tele bodies fetching insane prices and faux-vintage “relics” ruling the marketplace, its time to ask this question: Which model since 1990 will end up being the most collectible, or worthy of future holy grail status? I know it’s hard to conceive of a “vintage 2000” guitar, but, shocking or not, it’s coming!

2. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

The Cunneto relics and some of the Custom Shop guitars will probably gain some value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rze99, Stiles and TeleTown like this.
  3. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

The AV '64 Tele.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yup, I'd put money on the ever-popular AV64.

igor5, hockey guy, rze99 and 4 others like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The 50’s Baja... the neck I can foresee being part of a myth.

Fretting out, Fuggle, Alter and 2 others like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

AV '58, as well as the '52 and '64. In fact, if anyone has any sense in the future, they'll realize that the entirety of the short lived AV line (late 2012 through 2017) were the best standard production line reissues Fender has ever made. They were very accurate repros for actual Fender factory guitars, and the Flash Coat (A.K.A. Thin Skin) finishes were absolutely top notch. I pick AVs up whenever possible. I have collected the '54 Strat, '58 Tele (2TSB), '65 Jag (Ice Blue Metallic limited edition), '65 Strat (Shoreline Gold limited edition), '64 Tele (blonde), '58 Precision (blonde), and '64 Jazz (Oly White). Hope to grab a '52 Tele some day too.

7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

The 2012-17 era Pure Vintage series were amazing and I am glad I bought some while they were still made.They were basically reverse engineered off of the originas they sought to recreate and they were such nice guitars.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

.....and what a beautiful group photo that lot would make. Do you have one to share. Would you create one to share?

9. perudo

perudo TDPRI Member

Maybe some 90's custom shop will become more and more collectable in time.
    But in general, I don't think that modern fenders will become that much collectable.
    I tend to think that boutique brands like GVCG, Danocaster, nachocaster, K-line, etc, will age very well, are already higly thought after and may even increase in value

cnlbb, El Tele Lobo and Kezzell like this.
  10. perudo

perudo TDPRI Member

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

If I had to bet on just one model, I’d say the AV52, both “older” versions and the 2012-2017. But I concur with the others above that all American Vintage teles (including older Custom ’62s for those who love thinner necks) take the spotlight.

2 Headed Goat and DanDII like this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

+1!

13. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I have one, and your probably correct. But the concept - that in the future we will desire something made relatively recently, to resemble something farther back in the past, is giving me some cognitive dissonance.

Hatfield92, Kebmel and RadioFM74 like this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

The AVRIs are shifting up in price already now the AOs aren't 100% accurate.

Aerodynes and Telesonics might hold value as unique designs. they already seem to fetch a bit more than other standards or reissues from their era.

15. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

My CS Nocaster is amazing. I was skeptical about the 10/56 neck but it’s surprisingly comfortable. I live everything about it - pickups, neck, finish, and the weight (6.8 lbs). I sold an AVRI 52 that was almost perfect but it was way too heavy (I could live with the pumpkin color but I do like the pale yellow of the NC better). If you can find a lightweight AVRI 52, they are great guitars for the money. YMMV.

16. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

2012-2017 Pure Vintage for sure. No idea why Fender discontinued them. Maybe they were getting too close to CS quality? Ill never let go of my 2012 52. Im always on the lookout for a 64 too.

AlbertaGriff and DanDII like this.
  17. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Any year American Vintage 52. It's now been in production (if you count the first Japanese assembly of US parts) for 36 years - it only lasted two originally.

Early examples are already exceeding their new price. You can quibble about which are the most accurate, best colours, lightest, most usable standard, but an early example with case candy in very good condition is a solid investment.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

None!
    The classic guitars of the true vintage era are relatively rare. So many guitars are produced today their worth becomes diminished and will continue.
    The guitars of the 50s, 60s were also iconic because of the players who used them. The guitar hero is a dying breed.

19. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

My AV '64 and AV Hot Rod '62 are extremely close to my '67 Smuggler as far as finish, tone and playability.

I think '12 - '17 AVs are a good bet.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.