Futon/daybed recommendations?

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Takes ten minutes to assemble you just screw in the legs. One person can move it anywhere since it folds up twice if need be. (In half, then in half the other direction- so like a big square you move).

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Let me know when you ask the furniture forum for a guitar suggestion. I have a few good recommendations. :lol:

I take it that, after being here for a couple of weeks, you're (deliberately?) unfamiliar with the vast range of topics we discuss here other than guitars. Levity is great. But being a mere wiseass isn't.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Don't. Your back will thank you in 20 years for not buying one.

I dunno. I used one for about 10 years, and my back was fine. Just needed to replace the mattress periodically. It gave up the ghost only when an overnight birthday part of kids used it as an en masse trampoline while I was blowing up the balloons. If think that if the frame is unbumpy and the mattress is good, they're okay.

turftone

TDPRI Member
I take it that, after being here for a couple of weeks, you're (deliberately?) unfamiliar with the vast range of topics we discuss here other than guitars. Levity is great. But being a mere wiseass isn't.
Depends on your perspective, I guess. I typically find being a wiseass is great levity.

Btw, my original post was 100% serious (ok, 98%). The best thing you can do is see things for yourself. The way you chose to respond to it says more about the stick up your ... than about me allegedly being a wiseass, I think ;-)

Last edited:

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ikea has good options. Just warn him that a futon may not be as comfortable as a regular bed/mattress. But if he's not "heavy", he should be fine.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
My biggest complaint with a futon is the mattress.
We’ve had a few over the years. Metal frames, springs, joints tend to rust and eventually fail
Now, a good mattress that is thick and firm enough for a good nights sleep is not always a good couch cushion.

Good luck with your exam search

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So, any recs?

Mrs had a day bed in the spare room for a number of years. It was a sturdy single bed frame with a (insert your brand here) mattress and box springs...with a ton of pillows propped against the wall. Now if I were to do that, I would go with a sturdy frame, a bed in a box mattress (we use these on our bed...the firms hold up well), and a slew of the foam pillow wedges/assorted big pillows to make it work as a couch.

Alternatively, while Mrs was recovering, she slept for a couple of months in a big recliner and I slept on our huge couch (which has aftermarket super firm cushions). Worked fine.

IMO, for a 6'1" growing lad of proportional weight, whatever is done should be a firm foundation.

OBTW, I have spent more than one night on nickel-azz folder futon arrangements that made my back beg to sleep on the floor. My dollar 2 ninety 8.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
We have my kid's post-college futon. I want to throw it out. My wife wants to turn it into a futon couch. I said, "What are you 16?" Next, she'll be yearning for a lava lamp.

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
This is in England, but the idea holds. This is what I'm getting for my guitar room. It's a sofa-bed. The back can be upright like a couch, fold down flat to convert into a bed, or position in-between, so I can lean back and play guitar reclining on the couch. I can even angle each half of the couch independently.

And unlike my futon, I don't have to remove and store the back cushions, and then get on my knees and pull out a heavy metal frame from underneath to convert it from a couch to a bed. The model below takes literally seconds to convert using one hand.

_1_0_1016260_8.jpg

Sofa bed

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I used to have a Japanese-style futon, the kind you pack away when you wake up. I loved it and had the best sleeps ever on it, but it might be too firm for some people. You know who you are, yah softies! I even had the buckwheat hull pillow.

cMKR1Npj_YnuDAlAaWfpCRfKQZWH5GwoKjhCyOyHJ0567vkh8rYo27Pj3w8TMtYhuvkHeFBQ60Wu7GUVO-rbQpfPXdXL7YHrz1PAmFIVuRSck08c510-DCBGYgARgtuJiYjW8TQGhXzOVucxzWdMiGCBvg5TCNm4

Just because: World Order.