Futon/daybed recommendations?

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Hey, all. I hope that this finds you & your loved ones well.

So my youngest son--soon to be 16--asked for a futon/daybed to replace his worn-out and increasingly too small bed. He's turned his room into quite the cozy den. He and his friends congregate there to talk, actually do homework, etc., so he likes the idea of a couch in the day, a bed at night. Something he can easily port off to college, too, when the time comes.

So, any recs? Nothing fancy or high-end needed, but functional and durable sure is. He knows that a futon isn't a style thing, but he does like very traditional-style furniture.

Note that he's a burly 6'1" and still growing!

Thanks!

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
First off, has he ever *slept* on a futon? Millions of people sleep on them, but a futon is nothing like a mattress. It's solid, unyielding, and I've spend many a night half-asleep on one at a relative's house. I find them miserable.

I don't know if he can find one that will fit his height without his feet hanging off the end. They're typically shortish.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
First off, has he ever *slept* on a futon? Millions of people sleep on them, but a futon is nothing like a mattress. It's solid, unyielding, and I've spend many a night half-asleep on one at a relative's house. I find them miserable.

I don't know if he can find one that will fit his height without his feet hanging off the end. They're typically shortish.

Yes, one of his sisters has one that he slept on for a full week. He said it was quite comfortable and long enough. I'll ask her what brand/model that was, come to think of it....

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I loved my futon. It IS different than a mattress ....but a good different IMO. Mine was hand made by a Seattle company. Soaring Heart Futons. Now days they are the high priced spread I think. I got mine when they were a start up. The simple frame was great folded up easy into a sofa.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I slept on a futon for years, and it was great for my back. More support than any mattress and box spring. If your son is 6'1", get him a queen size. My son is 6'2" and he has a queen size in his bedroom for the exact same reasons you mentioned - couch by day, bed by night. Sometimes he doesn't even unfold it.

Take a hard look at the frame and try it out a couple times at least. There are some with metal frames now that might be less prone to breakage. That's one of the main concerns.

Get a THICK mattress. The thin ones suck and will hurt his back over time. Google up "futons near me" and I'll bet you find a place that actually makes 'em - and they can make you a custom one with a layer of foam inside that's more mattress-like, but still offers support.

As for where to get one - I'm sure pretty much every mattress store and furniture store carries them. They are now very mainstream. Wal-Mart and Shopko carry them - but they have cheap thin mattresses. For a good one (mattress and frame together), plan on dropping over $500. Good news is when he moves out into that cheesy apartment or dorm room, he'll doubtless take the damn thing with him.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
The only down side to futons and day beds is wear. The tracks in wooden futon frames wear if their positions get changed daily, which leads to the guides no longer seating properly. Inexpensive, metal-framed day beds can get loose at the assembly points if they're subjected to a lot of motion; don't ask me how I know this. :)

I'll second what @Happy Enchilada said about thick cushions. I had a futon in my family room for years with an upgraded cushion that I'd sleep on happily. The leather sofa that replaced it isn't nearly as comfy.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hey, all. I hope that this finds you & your loved ones well.

So my youngest son--soon to be 16--asked for a futon/daybed to replace his worn-out and increasingly too small bed. He's turned his room into quite the cozy den. He and his friends congregate there to talk, actually do homework, etc., so he likes the idea of a couch in the day, a bed at night. Something he can easily port off to college, too, when the time comes.

So, any recs? Nothing fancy or high-end needed, but functional and durable sure is. He knows that a futon isn't a style thing, but he does like very traditional-style furniture.

Note that he's a burly 6'1" and still growing!

Thanks!
Twenty-five years ago, when my grandson was born, I dedicated one of my bedrooms for him, for when he spent the night. When he got a little older, somehow he became aware of futons, and wanted one. I think I got one at WallyMartWorld. He eventually started leaving it in the couch position, and sleeping on it like that. (kinda like a narrow twin bed) I never found it very comfortable, but as long as he did, I was OK with it. Currently, it has the futon mattress, but on top it has a standard full-size mattress as well. (not in couch position, but flat) When he comes here from Austin, he prefers to stay over at my house. (his parents' house is just too chaotic for him)

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Having had a futon in college, having bought one more recently to fill the frame at the cabin I suggest this. Get a modern foam mattress on a cool looking and can be DIY platform bed. @telleutelleme tip would speed up, ease and make affordable the platform bed same time your son can get some other cool looking stuff.

Even in college - the young body - after time the futon needed to be manipulated to stay comfy that will never by comfy like modern firm mattress options.

If he wants a frame like we have at our cabin where it's couch and bed, that's an understandable different matter.

turftone

TDPRI Member
Um, of course. But asking for recommendations from savvy Telephiles is a good way to get some ideas about what might be worthy brands/models, yes?

Geez, snarky moods here!
Let me know when you ask the furniture forum for a guitar suggestion. I have a few good recommendations. :lol:

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Walmart has these black pleather looking futons about $150 works just buying one for every location I have two in different rooms/houses. They are usually in stock anywhere.