Furniture score

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mbechmann, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I found this at a second hand charity store.

They thought it was in way to rough shape to save. I completely disagreed. This one was worth it big time to save. The details... the craftsmanship... This is something else. I have never seen detailing on anything like this.

The table was from the same guy, but that one was not with the same detailing and it was missing the drawers.

What do you think? It is in rough shape but man I love it big time already. Its a piece of art in my book :)

IMAG0959.jpg IMAG0958.jpg IMAG0960.jpg IMAG0961.jpg IMAG0963.jpg

Kebmel, xafinity, src9000 and 2 others like this.
  2. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Rough, but well worth the effort to salvage. Beautiful piece, be patient and you'll have something to be very proud to own.

Mbechmann likes this.
  3. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I think that's a beautiful piece well worth some restoration work.

telleutelleme and Mbechmann like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some veneers there; could be hard to match.

Hard to tell from images just how sound some of these pieces are. I've been concentrating on chests that are "pre-veneer". They're out there and often not that expensive. Sometimes the $ 200 dresser is a better choice than the free one. Hope yours is well made!

Mbechmann likes this.
  5. Mbechmann

I think so to. For now I will use it as it is. I am just about to start my degree where I will learn all the skills needed to restore it. So for now I will use it as it is.

I completely agree. Its stunning and will shine up nicely when its all done.

I actually have a plan when it comes to veneer. On the front its only the top drawer where veneer is used - and where its coming off. Its a bit hard to tell from the pictures but its actually not level. The "outline" where the veneer is gone, is raised compared to the center. Its not much, but just enough to make it noticable.
    This also means that I dont have to match that veneer. I can take it off completely, and add some new to the "outline". After that its all about matching the color/staining but that should be possible.

Since this was for a charity I wanted to pay something inspite of them wanting to throw it out. So I paid 45$ for the whole thing - including delivery and the table right next to the dresser. Still a steal in my book :).

brogh likes this.
  6. brogh

Admin Post
    Hi !

Ya know what ? .. looking better at the pics now I think it's beautiful that way, I mean, you can restore it and try to put the missing veneers, but I really would go another way.

I'm no woodworking expert but I beieve that there should be some products available to protect the wood, this looks like to be really old (looks like something form early 1900's but i'm no expert ) and well built, there's a lot of details on it, i would keep it this way and protect it.
    Maybe just putting the two metal things that are missing from the lower drawers, but I would really keep the thing as it is.

think about it as a relic ( LOL )

The furniture pieces that come up here that I see around my friends houses that have that age are usually more protected than restored to a ""new"" condition.

I like it very much how it is now with all the scars and dings it has

cheers

LeftyAl, Mbechmann and william tele like this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I love it. You can work on it a little at a time, someday it will look like new. It's definitely worth saving.

Mbechmann likes this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What Brogh said! We've come to look at our furnishings in a much different way than 50 or 100 years ago. We decorate to compliment the "relicness" of things. This style isn't for everyone nor should it be expected to be, but I so admire those of our friends who have the "gift" of seeing beauty and arranging it so we can all enjoy it.

Nice stuff!

Mbechmann likes this.
  9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice piece Michael!!!

Mbechmann likes this.
  10. Mbechmann

Actually you are very close to the plan I have. I dont want it looking new. I want it looking old with as much of the original wood as possible. But I would like to also make it clean.

The 4 lower drawers are oak or elm. The inlay is pufling I think. At least if I understand pufling correct :) So those drawers are solid and does not need any repair.

The top drawer is the problem. That one is the "fancy" one. Its made out of several veneer pieces. The drawer itself is pine I think. So what I want to do, is to remove the veneer between the black lines on the picture + underneith the "flowers" but leave everything else. I will than try and match that front - do aging of the staining somehow - before I will add the "flowers" again. So hopefully all you will see is the drawer - and you wont notice that the veneer have been replace.

And yes, Brogh. Beewax works VERY well in keeping the wood the exact way it looks now :)

And William, I agree 100%. For me, the beauty is the craftsmanship. The detailing alone... Its estimated that its from the late 20s-early 30s so no powertools. Everything is done by hand. To me, just something as simple as the top of it.... drops my jaw. Figuring out how they did it... thats gonna take a while as well :)

Veneer.jpg Veneer2.jpg

Thats exactly the plan... well sort of. I dont want it looking new. I want it looking old but clean :)

Thanks. I love it so much - even though it hurt big time when I dropped it on my toe :)

11. brogh

Admin Post
    Yup that's the thing, back in the days .. ( oh hold on .. I'm not 100 Y old )... here the furniture market was obviously influenced by the home market, it's a "cultural" thing here that people usually buy homes/flats instead of renting, so when going for furniture the main trend was to go to a furniture shop and have everything made up to specs for your home.

In todays market and with really crazy home prices(I don't know you guys but 560.000 euros for a 90 Sqm flat in the peripherial part of Rome isn't a good deal to me ) , and (compared to the period) lower wages now many/most people go to "ikea" or similar, or if the family is a bit richer maybe some well renowed builder like scavolini for example.

This piece is part of a "lost" culture when things where built to last for your life, the life of your kids & their kids .. something that you pass down the family as enitherance, which also keeps the memories in your family like .. " remember when we made xmas and we all sat on gpa's bench " this kind of thing...

These things have value to me, but sadly today's crazy world is really drifting apart, to quote " the fan " with Robert de Niro, ".....today people want something cheap, and if it breaks they get another one..."...

Pieces like this one are usually found at antiques shop, and the prices are nowhere near what you paid for it.

I bet that if you ask someone in your area that sells antique furniture for a quote, you will be able to get SOME money out of it, I would keep it because it's a real beauty, it's decorated but not ostentaciously decorated, the details are great, they're there, but to appreciate you must look at the piece .. like a painting or a sculpture, it's something that you have to enjoy and not just put there and watch in a distracted way.

damn that's a nice piece ..

Cheers

ps: Forgive any English errors ( I'm self taught ) and I don't use google translate :p

12. Mbechmann

I actually agree very much so. This is such a stunning piece of art from a lost time. I have always been such a huge fan of amazing craftsmanship.
    I think thats why I love Daion instruments as well. They are amazing instruments that screams superb craftsmanship.

As a little funny detail. I went and picked up another bass amp today from a local auction house (a trade). I had them look at the pictures. They said that the value is tough on these. The are not that interesting for the market but they did estimate they could sell for 250-350$. :) If it were 15-20 years older, the value would be 800-1000$. BUT I dont care to be honest. Its not leaving my home :) I am the right owner for this one. Thats for sure :).

brogh likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd vote with the same people that are suggesting stabilizing the existing veneer and let it otherwise be.
    First Rule of the Antique Club is "don't you dare clean that patina off!"
    Spend a lot of time finding out what and where that piece was made.

I have this workbench in the garage I build guitars on that I got from my grandfather who had bought it a farm auction in the 50s. My mother remembers the bench in the work shed and all the projects built on it. I sanded the top and repaired the broken clamp jaw and in the process I found out the company that made the table had started making them in the late 1880s and stopped production around 1925. It was kind of like the Fender brand of workbenches at the start of the last century.

So search out the origin story for those pieces, you never know what you might uncover.

LeftyAl, brogh and Mbechmann like this.
  14. Mbechmann

Its actually exactly what I want to do. The pieces of the veneer that is damaged. Those pieces are coming apart all the way on the top drawer. Sorting that out, will save the patina :) Patina is something I dont want to mess with :)

I love doing research like this so I will see what I can find. But there are no makers mark on it at all. That makes it a bit tricky to figure out where it comes from. I will contact a few experts to see if they can point me in the right direction.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You've got your work cut-out for you.
    But, if you pull it off, it will be nicer than anything you have seen in a store for the last 40 years.

Mbechmann likes this.
  16. Mbechmann

I think so to. Its also not easy work which is why I will wait to I have learned to do it rigth in school :)

17. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Min-wax pen and call it a day

18. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I think you have a great piece there. I'd do very little to it.

19. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Yes,yes,yes and yes to the above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.