1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Funny Things You Have Seen at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rave, Sep 26, 2017.

1. rave

rave Tele-Holic

We all have our stories. Two stick in my mind.

1. An obvious tourist in GC Hollywood asks the sales person to take down an Epiphone double neck replica of Jimmy Pages guitar and proceeds to play note for note Stairway to Heaven in its entirety while countless people unknowingly laugh at him. Surreal.

2. I am at my local GC and in walks Tommy Thayer of KISS. No one but me recognizes him. I say to the sales person who is ignoring him, you may want to see if you can help him, he is the lead guitarist of KISS. So he asks how he can help him and gets him a Strat but leaves him on the floor. Another guy is playing so loud that Tommy walks out in disgust. This GC has at least two private rooms he could have put him in.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Other than D-bag sales people and people playing at ear shattering levels, I got nothing.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't see funny things because I go in there with blinders on, sort of.

I wanna know what I can learn about certain products, and that's all. When I'm in the mood to buy something I know is in there, I enter on A Mission. I don't let anything "funny" get in my way.

Having a good GC in town is like having a high quality Hospital in town. You go there for specific reasons, and certainly not for amusement. Music played badly is torture, to me, so I block all that out or don't walk in the door in the first place.

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd give the guy a pass. He might have had only 6 months to live and was on his bucket list tour.

Wallo Tweed and mnutz like this.
  5. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

There are 3 GC's in the Portland, OR area & I have had good experiences with most of the employees in all of them. The N Portland store is less than 2 miles from my home & I am on a first name basis with most of the clerks & the manager.

I was in the Beaverton store one morning looking around when someone started playing very loud, very obnoxious & very unskilled. I am in my 60's & my first reaction was, must be a 15 year old, why wasn't he in school? Eventually I got around to looking at who it was. It was a guy who was my age & he was really being an a-hole to one of the clerks. After 30 minutes he left without buying anything. What a jerk.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They opened one up in my area and none of the stereotypical ear blasting or sales guy smothering or ignoring me has occurred.

The only thing stereotypical is the failure to keep fresh strings on their premium acoustic guitars...but I suppose it is hard to keep up.

Actual funniest thing that I've seen at GC happened to me when I was trying some acoustics. In the middle of banging out the chords to "Can't you hear me calling", a fairly obscure Burrito Bros song, this guy grabbed a J45 off the wall, matched my tuning (no two are ever together) and slid perfectly into the solo in the middle.

I was the one that couldn't hang and I fell apart. Man, it sounded awesome while it lasted! He was laughing his ass off and told me he recognized the changes because he's been gigging that song several times a week for thirty some years...

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I've been playing guitar since the 60s. Music since 57. So I'm now a great grandma. ALL of GC employes are hilarious when dealing with me. I've had them hovering over me afraid I'm going to break something. Give me really weird looks when I just tuned a guitar in 6 seconds by ear . I have also had them freeze like a deer in the headlights and jaw hang open till they drooled when I went to try out an amp and they asked what guitar I usually played. I actually most often play a strat with Duncan active SC pickups. I said an EC series or similar would be closest to my guitar.

Guess those kids there just can't figure out grandmas that can play.

I did have a fantastic experience with a young woman (customer) that liked what I was playing (in the expensive acoustic room) that she asked me what it was and went on Amazon and bought the piece right there. Iv'e since sent her signed copies of the album!

TRex13, dr_tom, Rich_S and 22 others like this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I watched a young kid, obviously just starting to play, sit down with an Epi LP Standard. The kid sounded hesitant and was just noodling around. He fiddled with a couple of note-by-note simple licks, but couldn't really handle chords just yet.
    When he told his dad that this was the guitar he wanted, dad actually said "I think you would sound better on a Gibson", and bought the kid a $2600 Traditional.
    I hope that when they got home the kid sounded a lot better. Not taking any bets though.

Steve Holt, troy2003 and richiek65 like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I called ahead to the manager of a GC, to hold a new guitar model just released, so that I could drive two states and one time zone to check out. I get there and he asked me what amp I want and I started playing. I wanted to A/B against other guitars and other amps, but everytime I got up, this wise ass shredder kid would try to take my stool and start playing my set up. So, everytime, the manager would shoo him away telling him what I'm doing. Everytime I got up, this would happen again and again for a few hours. The manager was way cool and did not hesitate to keep this kid out of my face.

Ummm, no. I didn't buy the guitar, but I totally appreciate what the manager was doing for me. However, if it was dark out and I knew what car this kid was driving ....

Mechanic, dr_tom and william tele like this.
  10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've seen some really good guitarists in a CG tearing up some jazz standards. I don't think that's too common.

emisilly, Flakey and william tele like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not funny, like ha ha, but memorable nonetheless: Last time I stopped in, I was browsing around and a young (25-ish) man next to me in front of the wall of guitars just started chatting with me, real friendly. We commented on several guitars and what we like to play. Meanwhile, across the room, a young (22-ish) woman, kind of shy, emo-nerdy, with goth garb and bright jade green hair, started shredding on some pointy guitar. I mean she was ripping it, some Metallica, other stuff i didn't recognize; a medley of really complex shred-fare. Her playing was so incongruous with her appearance, it was surreal. The other guy and I just stood there with our mouths open; every now and then he would say' "Wow, that song is really hard to play."

We both told her she was awesome. She blushed and said thanks. The kid showed me a vid of his band on his phone, also some high level shred-metal. I left feeling like everything was right with the world and that everything was going to be fine. It was nice.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the way you said that and love even more the feeling you describe. It doesn't happen quite as often as it used to but I don't circulate like I used to.

Sometimes people are just the best damn thing...

13. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

#1 is hilarious! That guy is either totally clueless or has the best sense of humor in the world.

Nothing weird or funny has ever happened to me, but one time when I was about 15 I was noodling in a GC when an older guy came up and started talking to me. The conversation ultimately ended with him complimenting my playing and saying he wished I could join his band but I was too young. He said he actually had a gig coming up on the Jenny Jones show. Not sure if it was legit, bit it was flattering to have happen.

14. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm a middle aged man with a respectable job and young kids. For some reason, a few years ago, I bought a black leather jacket and started wearing it on the weekends, when I met friends at the bar, when I went out to concerts, etc. As lame as it sounds, it kind of made me feel cool.

One night, while wearing this black leather jacket, I traded some old gear for a new Vox AC15. Trades can take a little while, so I chatted with the young, probably 20-year-old employee that helped me with the transaction about music, amps, and guitars for a while. He seemed like a cool guy too. When we finished, as he carried the amp outside for me, he looked over at me with a smirk and said, "Oh man, how are you going to fit this on the back of your motorcycle?" I sheepishly pointed him toward my old Toyota Camry.

15. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Saw a Jazzmaster fall off the wall from very high up. Sales person walks up and says, "you know, that's the fourth time it's done that today!" Then proceeded to climb a ladder and put it back up.

16. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

I was looking through their Tele selection which was pretty much crap (didn't wind up buying anything) and playing a few guitars ... near me was a young girl, maybe 12 or 13 that was there with her dad. She was strumming three or four cowboy chords that she clearly was just learning. I have absolute pitch which means that out of tune instruments are not a thing I can easily ignore or block out. It was obvious she didn't know how to tune a guitar because it sounded brutal but I'm not going to go up to some poor kid and say "the hell's the matter with you? Can't you hear how bad that sounds??" so I put down the crappy used '72 reissue I was noodling on and said "you want me to tune that for you?" and the girl blushed and said "sure!" ... so I have it a quick tuning and handed it back... she and her dad were praising me to the heavens and acting like I was some magical powerful wizard ... "thank you sooooo much... I can't thank you enough" and it reminded me that so many of us take for granted what we can do, beat ourselves up, belittle our own playing and each other's forgetting that for most people playing a musical instrument even just sort of well is just a daydream or a fantasy ... I was glad I'd done something that seemed so insignificant to me but was a big deal to them and made them happy

Postscript: As I was leaving, daddy and his beaming little girl were at the register with daddy plunking down $2000 on a brand new LP in some sort of aqua blue burst color... that girl better play like George f*****g Benson 5 years from now

17. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Quality lol

J Hog, DonM and threadbare like this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've seen spineless shoppers who are too scared to ask hard working salespeople if coupons are valid.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

About 5 years ago, in the South SLC Guitar Center:

High end acoustic room, kid (maybe 12 or so) picks up a Martin 000-28EC and starts noodling. Salesman sticks his head in and says "Hey kid, that's an expensive guitar."

"I know," and launches into the Mason Williams song 'Classical Gas'. Just nailing it, note for note. Salesman turns bright red and slinks away.

mojosman, faulp, J Hog and 7 others like this.
  20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Visited the US three times and GC NY, one in SF and one near Chicago have all been very helpful. Guy in SF knocked $60 off my Thinline (already discounted) for a minor mark went out back and found a NOS formfit case hanging around they virtually gave me because I said I was bringing it on a plane. Guy in Chicago couldn't find the box or power supply (which I couldn't use anyway) of a demo Line6 M13 and cut $100 off an already low $450 price. Then he gave me a zipup pedalboard case for it for $20 that it, power supply and expression pedal fits. When I went to buy a Fender CS t-shirt he just added it without charge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.