Funny thing happened...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Mar 31, 2020.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

at the range a couple of months ago.

I was test shooting a Remington 783 "Compact" model in 7MM-08 I had just scored at the used bin in a local Cabela's when some young guys came up and wanted to use the range too. I had hand loaded a bunch of ammo that I was hoping would shoot good in the gun. I was good to about and inch right and two inches high which seemed good enough until I had the range to myself on another day.

One kid had an expensive "Precision" rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and said he wanted his younger brother to shoot it a little. The gun probably cost way over a grand. After a few shots another guy that was with them who had an old, beat up 22 set a used shotgun shell on top of the wood frame that the warden had set up so guys could nail or pin up big pieces of cardboard to put targets on to shoot at.

I think he challenged me and the other guy to hit it at 100 yards. So the other guy shot at it and missed. He was in his twenties and I'm in my sixties. My sight isn't good at all but OK with a good scope. Mind you, my rifle was bought for less than $200.00 and I had to hit it even though I was sighted in way off the bulls-eye. I had to aim off the shotgun shell to where I thought it would hit it.

The first shot I hit it.

The second time the kid missed again. I told the guys that I was just lucky and I could probably never hit it again. I hit it a second time.

As we were walking up to the target to see where I hit it I said to the kid " You should be ashamed of yourself letting a half-blind old man outshoot you". I was just joking, of course. Sure 'nuff we could see where I hit it.

The kid decided to check his aim on my bulls-eye target and he was way off. He thought he got it zeroed and tried to hit the shotgun shell again.

He missed.

I was laughing and said " I was just lucky and there's no way I'll hit it again".

Hit it again.

I was satisfied with my purchase...

OldDude2, TelenTubes, Stubee and 6 others like this.
  2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Ruger Precision in 6.5CM is between $1100 and 1200 retail. A good scope for that rifle is at least as much (and maybe twice that). Knowing how to zero it, priceless. Knowing where it shoots, even more so.

I have several rifles that are tack drivers. My son got a great rifle in .22-250, but cheaped out on the scope (initially). He never could get the first scope to zero properly. He ultimately got a scope that is as good as the rifle, and we zeroed it. Great little rifle.

OTOH, I have an older Ruger M77 in .338 Win. Not sure I will ever find a tack driver load for that rifle. Good for Elk to 300 yards, I think so. But not the kind of accuracy you are discussing here.

tery likes this.
  3. chet again

You have to know how to control your breathing and the manner you squeeze the trigger (trigger control) also. I think maybe that was lacking in the kid's shooting.

Plus- I handload so I control that aspect of it too. Also, I was shooting with the stock No-name scope that came with the gun.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Stubee and Jim622 like this.
  4. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Never go cheap on glass for a rifle and each rifle will like a certain load. Those are two things I always tell new or in-experienced shooters. I've had one rifle in my time that I could not get to shoot like I wanted. It was a synthetic stocked, stainless Winchester model 70 chambered in .300 Win Mag. I tried I don't know how many different factory and hand-loaded ammo in three different bullet weights and the best groups I could get were around 1.75 inches. I finally took it to a gunsmith and he checked it out with go-no go gauges and said that while it was in spec, it was chambered way on the high side. I ended up selling it.

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

You were using a scope :confused:

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A bullet fired from a rifle gives off a shock wave, it was probably the shock wave that toppled the shotgun shell.

[​IMG]

JL_LI likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

I am familiar with the 07-08 though, and it really is a very good round even in factory loaded ammo.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Don't use a scope here. Open sight, lever action bush rifles are better from horse back.

TelenTubes, tery and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I once rode a horse at a full gallop, using a Winchester 94 I shot the shadow of a buzzard circling overhead, and he fell right out of the sky. You have to know how to clinch your butt cheeks just so to stay in the saddle while performing a feat like that.

Mouth, MarkieMark and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Hunting in the high mountains here, you have to go in on foot or horseback. No motorized vehicles of any kind permitted. If you are in a relatively open area, your clear line of sight/fire may be 50 yds if you are lucky. No scopes needed; just quick aim and fire.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I know people get tired of hearing about it, but believe it or not, that's way people used to hunt in the "old days." When I was a young man, you didn't have to worry about people shooting skillets hanging from a tree limb, gangs of marauding tote goat riders and brush busters tearing through the woods. You went to the woods, set up camp, reconnoitered your hunting grounds, then went out the next day and actually got your game. Man, oh man, I wish I had brains enough to invent a way back machine, it'd be adios amigos to this brave new world for me.

12. Ironwolf

The benefit of having the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 outside your back door.

Toto'sDad and Stubee like this.
  13. chet again

Oh...I guess the "shock wave" put the hole through the shotgun shell. :rolleyes:

OldDude2 and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. chet again

The "shock wave" must've knocked it out of the sky...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. chet again

Never have shot a .338 rifle. Do you handload for it?

16. chet again

I used to rent horses to ride out in the mountains (maybe they were hills) at Ft. Huachuca, AZ when I had free time. They sent me down there a few weeks in Jan. or Feb. for several years to work.

One time they gave me a horse even though I was the only one who wanted to ride. This horse was trained to ride a certain route then turn around and come back. Very tame horse. We walked by a tree and there was a small herd of Coues Deer just sitting there watching us from about twenty yards. I could've easily shot one with a compound bow.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  17. Toto'sDad

Bingo!

18. Toto'sDad

Dead center too! How do you shoot a shotgun shell with a 07-08 at a hundred yards and not destroy it altogether with (just a guess) about 2000 ft lbs of energy? Just curious. I am not saying you didn't do exactly what you said, the logistics of the thing are hard for me to wrap my head around, I'm genuinely curious.

19. chet again

Don't ask me. We picked up the shells each time there were holes in them. The guys were also watching through binocs as I shot. The bullets weren't even the ELD precision bullets. They were the Hornady SP bullets.

BTW- I really didn't take it seriously when it happened.

I think the guys came back and tried and tried it when I wasn't there. The wood frame is in tattered pieces now. I think the game warden and the cops are going to be peessed...the guy who tests cops on the range used the frame to put up his targets.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. chet again

I'm curious now...why don't some of you guys try to hit a empty shotgun shell at 100 yards and post the results.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.