Funny encounters with famous musicians

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

its a shame they both devolved into knobheads..ive met them both since...seems they like many forget where they came from...some people i dont like admitting meeting
    dont do those uparsetypes...theyre not stars...greedy grabbers thats all...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    61fury likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

just been discussing all this with Sadie...
    She had a version of tambourine man.where shes playing 12 string.doing it as duet with her friend on 6 string...nailed mcguinns playing...she had been playing a fortnight if that.she laughed and said it took her 20 mins to learn..says she will do it again for you guys as orig is long since gone...she says...playing guitar?...for a living?...EASY...i asked where she got it from..."the silly old goat at the other end of this fone...gigglegiggle"
    once she does it ill post it here (somewhere)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    djh22 likes this.
  3. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE TDPRI Member

This last April in a Coffee Bean in Vegas my daughter and I had the pleasure of watching Steven Tyler act like an absolute baby/ A-hole because the barista had to give him his milk on the side of his coffee due to Covid restrictions (whatever). We had just opened things back up. He literally yelled at the barista "Do you know who I am?" and stomped his feet. I was embarrassed for him.
    I think he was showing off for my daughter, who at 20 is an absolute knockout. She says to me "is crazy guy famous?...because he wants everyone to know it...thats for sure".

Oh...and I took care of a member of Wayne Newton's family as a nurse in the hospital...Wayne would call me every night for updates when he couldn't make it in. He had so much respect for my time and profession. He is a great guy.

4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When my daughter was of a similar age, she was working backstage at an outdoor pavilion where Aerosmith was scheduled to perform. He approached her and introduced himself, and my daughter replied, "Hello Mr. Tyler, I'm quite aware of who you are." He was chatty and at one point, leaned in to kiss her and she turned him away. She pointed to a colleague, a former college football player who was a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier than he and said "My dad could kick his ass. You don't stand a chance."

5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

There is only one correct answer to that question, and it rhymes with 'a blunt'.

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

When I was in college I did sound for Jorma Kaukonen when he did a solo show at the student union. When he showed up, he said, "my speaker has a busted wire, can you help fix it?" I worked part time in an electronics lab on campus so I got on my bike and went and got a 25 watt soldering iron and some solder and a couple tools. Got back and tried to solder the wire back on but the iron was barely up to the task. Finally it looked OK and he did the show.

Probably 5 years later I was working at G-K and the marketing guy gave me some passes to see Hot Tuna in Santa Cruz. I went over with my soon to be ex GF, and we went "backstage" to chat a bit before the show. As I was saying hi, I said, "you probably don't remember this, but about 5 years ago you did a show at X, and..." whereupon he said, "oh yeah, you fixed my speaker wire!". See, it's just like the lion with the thorn in his paw or something.

7. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thinking back of famous musician encounters over the years (not many), I can't think of ones that were funny really ... definitely less than ones that were awkward ... but I guess when Emmy Lou Harris raced into our hotel elevator one morning in her bathrobe, that was pretty funny, everyone had a laugh including her. Running down to the lobby to grab coffees, she said. We had met her the night before in the lobby (following her's, and Neil Young's Greendale, shows) so it's not ya know like we were total strangers or anything. :D

8. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

i was also the concert committee chair in college and also chauffeured Leo Kottke around, in 1972. He had attended my college (University of Missouri) for a time six or eight years earlier and asked me to drive by his frat house (Delta Upsilon) and the Minuteman Diner. After the show we went to a party and he got bored fast.

djh22 and Digital Larry like this.
  9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I had to make a fresh pot of coffee for the guy that plays drums for Phil Collins when he tours. The coffee had gotten "stale" and wasn't any good anymore.

Digital Larry likes this.
  10. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've told this one before but my only brush with greatness...

Jerry Garcia Band 1987 Eel River. Outdoor show along a river! Before the show near a bridge that lead to the stage a buddy and I are drinking beer and doing what every good Dead Head does at a concert on a log in the river. One of us, probably me, decides to push his buddy in the river but the buddy is wise to my shenanigans and puts up a fight. We both tumble into the river but I am able to hold my Budweiser above the current and not spill a drop! As I triumphantly hold the trophy beer aloft I notice in the truck on bridge Garcia looking at us presumably have seen the entire scene smiling and shaking his head in a friendly "you idiots" fashion. We wave to each other.

At this point my buddy is still trying to gain composure and missed Jerry completely!

BTW I recall my buddies name as John "Cheap and Shameless" Hussey.

The End

djh22, suave eddie and Digital Larry like this.
  11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Overheard Ian McKaye talking to his dad on the phone at a gate at O'Hare. "Ok, I will, love you too." Just a regular guy.

djh22 likes this.
  12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I like your daughter.................

djh22 and Mexitele Blues like this.
  13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I have worked security for many years at athletic and concert events.
    The correct answer to the question, "Don't you know who I am?", is "If I knew who you were, would I be asking you who you are?"
    The people asking that particular question are usually a**holes without the proper credential.

14. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Afflicted

I went to a Prong show in Columbus (1993 I think), and I got there a little over an hour early to meet the band. I met Tommy Victor, and he had me drive him to the Kmart a couple miles away so he could buy a footlocker. Small talk ensued. Weird, I suppose.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I saw Chuck Berry at a club in Marina del Rey around 1977 and he was loaded. He was sitting at a table with a blonde and as I was leaving I told my friend and our dates that I was going to stop and say hello. They didn’t want any part of it and so just as I was approaching the table he reached up and took a drink off the waitress’ tray as she walked by and he yelled, “I got you covered”.., and at the same time I tap him on the shoulder. I’d always heard he could be a real dick. He wheeled around and said, “what!?” I introduced myself and said I was a fan and just wanted to say hello. He said, “where you from?”.. I said, “Pittsburgh, originally.” He goes, “Pittsburgh...who weeee, it’s cold in Pittsburgh!” And then yells at the waitress, “bring a drink over here for my friend from Pittsburgh!”. I didn’t stay long but it was a pretty cool encounter with a R & R legend.

16. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

"I would if you had a pass..."

djh22 and Teleguy61 like this.
  17. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    Big Bill Morganfield and I
    IMG_0243.jpg
    Pinetop Perkins and I
    IMG_0236.jpg
    Sonny Rhoads and I
    IMG_0248.jpg
    Joe Louis Walker and I
    IMG_0247.jpg
    Seymour Duncan and I

18. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I would have been at that show.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.