1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Funny encounters with famous musicians

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Nov 28, 2020.

1. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Back in December '95, my buddy and I were in London one afternoon, basically walking around looking for something to do while we were killing time before we were supposed to meet up with these girls we had met. It was pretty cold out, so we were bundled up looking for a place to have a beer, and we hear a pretty good blues band playing in this one little dive bar/pub. We naturally headed in that direction and saw this middle age guy with long curly blond hair standing outside the door of the place smoking a cigarette. As we got closer, I thought the guy looked very familiar, but I couldn't place him. We walked up to him and said hi, and asked about the band. He said they were really good- and then it hit me- this was Robert Plant. I was not a big Zeppelin fan at the time, so I just said, "hey, you're Robert Plant!". He said, "yes I am", and all I could muster up was a "cool man, nice to meet you". He smiled and said something polite in return, and then excused himself and went back into the bar.

My buddy and I thought it was pretty cool, but time was short and we had to meet those girls, so we kept on walking. Now, I wish we had gone in the bar with Robert!

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

We did a few gigs with Bill Kirchen and one night he let me play his old "Coal Burner" When I was finished Bill asked "do you why they keep telecasters in cases?" I said "no" and Bill responded "to protect all the other guitars"

ndcaster, elihu, Old Plank and 4 others like this.
  3. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

On 5th July 1995 I took my partner, Jackie, to see Dick Dale at Riverside in Newcastle, England.
    I had seen him in Edinburgh on a previous tour. Jackie didn't go to many gigs & was a bit nervous. But when Dick Dale came on stage, she was right up against the stage watching his every move. I was a few feet behind her leaping around like a lunatic.

After the gig we lined up to meet Dick & buy a signed poster. We were near the front of the queue, when Jackie looked at Dick signing a poster and announced in a loud voice...'Eeee...he's left handed!'. The guy in front of her just turned around in slow motion & stared at her, while I waited for the Earth to open up & swallow me.

I like to think that Mr Dale didn't hear her. If he did, he wasn't bothered. In fact we somehow started talking about cats & he invited us to his ranch (if we were ever in the area) to see his collection of Big Cats. We never did get there. RIP Dick Dale, a wonderful guy.

Old Plank, El Tele Lobo and djh22 like this.
  4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

About 15 years ago, a friend and I were eating breakfast at a little place in Charlottesville VA. My friend said, "Don't turn around! Is that who I think it is?" I was able to make a furtive glance and said, "It's Mary-Chapin Carpenter" and we finished eating. I got up to pay the bill and get my truck while my friend went to the rest room. When I arrived at the door she and MCC were talking like old friends. Chapin then walked up to me and asked "Do I know you?" I replied "You used to," and laughed. She looked at me and said "Childe Harold, DC" and we had a nice chat before going our separate ways.

elihu, brookdalebill and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

In the mid 80's I was going to an audition in Burbank, Ca. I got a little turned around and I stopped at a gas station to call and get directions. I was using the pay phone and looking around while I made the call and I noticed a white convertible Caddy with a red interior. Then I notice this guy coming out of the store he's dressed in a white suit with a red shirt and he looks just like Ike Turner. I called out "hey are you Ike Turner?" He looked over at me and said F*&# You Mother F*&#er and he got in his car and drove off. Had to be Ike.

6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

There used to be a club in downtown Long Beach Calif. called the Blue Cafe. Big Bill Morganfield (Muddy Waters son) was playing and a friend got me backstage and I brought a photo of Big Bill and I that was taken months before at the Doheny Blues Festival so that I could get it signed.

So I'm sitting there with Big Bill Morganfield and my friend and I were chatting when Big Bill hands me a guitar that he inherited from his' father Muddy (McKinley) and he tells my friend and I that no photos can be taken with someone else holding his' daddy's guitar. My friend was winking at me to play the guitar and he'd sneak a photo. I didn't feel confident enough to really play a guitar in open tuning without a slide (I didn't bring my slide because I was wearing slacks and I thought that it would look odd with a bulge in my pocket)

The dumb things we worry about. I could have had a photo of me playing a guitar that Muddy Waters had specially made for him, a ES 335 lookalike.

drewg and djh22 like this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Mine is not so much a funny story, but a bit awkward one none the less. I was on my way home (in Toronto), and driving down a major road in south east Toronto, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Joni Mitchell, standing outside a liquor strobe, having a smoke. I immediately pulled over, trembling at the wheel, wondering what I was going to say to her. I parked the car, walked across the street, and she was eyeing me the whole time. She started to have a grin on her face, I walked up and reached out my hand, introduced myself and said that I had been a fan for many years. She told me that she was waiting for her daughter, who she had just been reunited with. Wow. Holy crap, I thought to myself as I had read that her daughter lived in TO. Her daughter comes out, carrying a bottle of white wine and introduces herself. Turned out she lived at the top of the street from the liquor store. I was shaking the entire time, and I'm sure that my nervousness must have been why they were so friendly towards me. Other than that, I jammed with Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson at the South Country Fair in Ft. McLeod, Alberta many years ago. No fandom, no nervousness. I was in my element.

JeffBlue, ndcaster, Larry F and 5 others like this.
  8. Burning Fingers

Burning Fingers Tele-Meister

Did you have the intro right ?.

It would have been mid November 1973 when I made a stooge of myself...Mississippi was the support act.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I posted this before as well

I was doing the set up for Kiss and while offloading the 4 th 53 foot trailer I see a guy off to the right of me messing with a massive acoustic/electronic drum kit on a big riser ,so as I walk by I said to him " Hey you", "when you finish %#[email protected] around with that kit , I want it loaded in the back of my truck and driven to my house" . and I walked away just in time for him to look up from what he was doing ,muttering some profanities and exclaiming what sexual act I may perform on my self, then he started laughing .

2 hrs later we have this massive drum riser up on stage and are flying about 25 feet above the stage as we were lowering back down I adjust the stands that the kit comes down on and lands , this same guy jumps off the riser , walks up to me and says" Hi, I'm Eric Singer " and shakes my hand, we talked about his stint with Black Sabbath and his rig for the night , for about 40 minutes (My Gawd he was my boss I could have been toasted ....OOPS ,) good thing he had a sence of humor , a super nice guy

JeffBlue, Wulf, djh22 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One more: I was hanging around after the show at the Nightstage club in Cambridge, MA, I can't really remember who played that night. Might have been Lil Ed and the Imperials, or Luther Allison, someone like that. In walked Kim Wilson and Ronnie Earl, I think the Thunderbirds were in town.. The place was cleared out, there were only a couple people left. I was looking forward to having a chat. By the time I drifted over to the bar, I realized they were kind of begging for free drinks. "C'mon, man, can't you help us out?", stuff like that. They were both loaded. I suddenly felt uncomfortable about being there, it made me a little sad. I headed for the door.

They did get a couple drinks out of the guy.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    JeffBlue, djh22 and 24 track like this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

1980...M1 Services...Lemmy Kilmister emerging from bog after having what sounded like terminal dysentry...
    Stood at next sink to me washing hands....funny moment...had a coffee and a chat
    Mensi from Angelic Upstarts...A19 services near sunderland.2 years ago..having coffee outside...met him yrs ago and he remembered me...again coffee and chat
    Chris Rea..at guitar techs house..(his tech was my guitar maintainence mentor)

JeffBlue and 24 track like this.
  12. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge Tele-Meister

Well I had it same as the record, but Chuck was just playing 'em how he felt like. This was good learning, the following year worked in the city and played in a band, and that it's ok to not sound like a record and put your own slant on songs.

My only encounter was a brief chat over a burger with a member of Canned Heat after an early morning show at Broadford '83?. Don't recall who, had been up all nite. My only memory was a remark on how bright the full moon was, he replied that it was the sun and it was actually day break. Whose the stooge now! ;)

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I drove 500 miles in the late 70s in hot summer temperatures, on a Friday, after work, to see The Beach Boys.
    I took my girlfriend at the the time, to a very civilized popular bar on the Saturday night before the concert. All of the BBs were alive then. In walks Brian Wilson with two security guys and they park themselves right at the bar next to us. His security guys were huge and I said;
    " Hey, You're Brian Wilson". He said Yes and I told him I had driven 500 miles from the edge of the Great Australian Bight and Nullabor Plain ( a huge desert) to see him.
    He bought me a couple of beers but didn't drink himself. He was a nervous but very nice guy. He only spoke to us, thanked me for coming to see the show and left. I cannot believe how big his security guys were. Brian himself was a big guy but these guys were huge. A nice but very nervous man.

JeffBlue and djh22 like this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I saw Chris Duarte at some little bar in Wilmington, NC. Bought some merchandise in between sets and started yakking guitars and stuff. He showed me all his pedals and his guitars, no onstage amps. Really nice guy, took my phone out to show him some of my guitars, he looks at the black SG " it's evil " he says in mock horror. Dude played his heart out for 20 people

JeffBlue, djh22 and elihu like this.
  15. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

a man i knew well for many years...met in a north yorkshire village pub.and quickly got sozzled together...firm friends from that day forth...after propping each other up waiting for a taxi..he worked as a heliminer driver in a potash mine...a mine i worked a lot in...great guitarist..and he was also a great friend.one way or another he was the reason many of us play guitar...beatles and stones included...and he gave me a Ric 325 before he died...in a tiny bedsit in Redcar...that me and a mutual friend got him after he was evicted while in hospital..next door to friend...he stll wears Les s old hat out of respect
    Mr. Les Bennetts on lead guitar...notice Lonnie changed Middleburgh to Middlesbrough there

how the greats do fall..known locally as Banjo Les...RIP Les Me Ol Mate
    Skol
    Wulf
    same man was a practical joker...taught my daughter Sadie how to set booby traps and take out lightbulbs...she was 6 at the time...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

there she is ...learned 1st song in one night having never wanted to learn before
    That Les has a lot to answer for...she is indirectly or directly another influenced by it all
    last one filmed in my sitting room...she cried when Les passed on ..more than when we lost her Mum...
    the Booby Trap Princess who nearly killed me no thanks to Les and his Practical Jokes
    I give you My Daughter Sadie
    she still talks about Les...always fondly and with a tear in her eye
    guitar was set up for her by Jim Cairns..of Burns Guitars and Chris Reas Guitar Tech..another Great Friend and Mentor
    RIP Mr.Jim...you taught me all i know...pity i have forgotten half of it
    make your hands sore with clapping...Sadie Wulfdottr

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    djh22, aging_rocker and Dave Hicks like this.
  17. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I was working at a hotel, and as I was unloading some luggage from a bus I turned to see Alice Cooper standing in front of me. Apparently I was visibly shocked because he laughed and said “Yeah, I can’t believe it’s me either”. I got to talk to him for a while and he is, ironically, a genuinely nice guy.

JeffBlue and Wulf like this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Vince is in normal land ..hes just a real showman and all the better for it...i know people that were part of the 70s uk scene...and they all said he was refreshing compared to the addled users and frybrains they normally had to deal with...

dr. love likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

its funny...i find myself repeating things on diff threads...and on same ones...not everyone reads the whole thing before chucking their pennies in
    Some people just have no patience to read up to date and have the attention span of a common minnow
    (you know im right...)

24 track likes this.
  20. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Saw Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe at Georgetown University in 1987. Both did solo sets. After the show we waited around with a small crowd of maybe 30 people to meet them. Nick Lowe came out; very friendly. Elvis was reluctant to come out; there wasn't much security, and his people told us Elvis wouldn't leave the building until we all left. I started the crowd clapping hands and chanting "50 Elvis fans can't be wrong." Maybe that loosened him up -- a few minutes later he emerged, very friendly, meeting and greeting and signing autographs. Here's a review of the show:

COSTELLO'S IMPROMPTU INVENTIONS

By Joe Brown, The Washington Post
    April 30, 1987

It was one of those "you should have been there" nights. Elvis Costello snuck into town Tuesday for a solo concert -- no advertising, no band and no fear of spontaneity -- at Georgetown University's sold-out, 3,000-capacity McDonough Gymnasium and performed more than 30 songs in an intimate, inventive, impassioned 2 1/2-hour set of indoor fireworks.

Georgetown was an appropriate venue for the prolifically literate Costello, the English major's rock idol, who brought along with him a graying Nick Lowe, his frequent producer, as his charming opening act. The two Englishmen took traditional American musical styles -- folk, R&B, country, rock -- and fed the recharged hybrid back to an intelligence-starved audience.

The minimalism of the "Almost Alone" evening put the focus on Costello the songwriter. And few rock song books could survive naked under the spotlight like this. But Costello's cleverly worded, memorably melodic songs, often clothed on record in baroque arrangements, were actually enhanced, showing Costello to be a once-burned romantic and a jaundiced but still hopeful observer of the world -- his opening words were "I used to be disgusted/ Now I try to be amused" from "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes."

With a small color TV behind him flickering images of baseball and evangelists, the troubadour Costello, who has evolved from new-wave nerd to rock raconteur, employed only an array of acoustic guitars and a fine-grained voice that stretched, shook and squeezed the emotion out of notes. Costello delivered songs such as "Suit of Lights" and "Brilliant Mistake" like a man with something to prove (the show followed reports that he has been dropped by Columbia Records).

One of the program's most striking elements was the way Costello incorporated other people's songs into his own, often illuminating his compositions or revealing a source of inspiration. "Uncomplicated" enveloped Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," and "New Amsterdam" opened to reveal the Beatles' "Hide Your Love Away." Costello's first single, "Radio Sweetheart," had a surprise inside -- Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Said," with the audience supplying the exuberant scat chorus. And a harrowing "I Want You," a Spartan epic about jealous passion, harbored "Comedians," one of Costello's most effective short-story songs. Concentrating on his most recent albums, Costello inventively reinterpreted familiar numbers -- he expanded "American Without Tears" like a sprawling Dickensian novel, interrupting the song to ask, "Have you ever wondered what happens to people in a song after the song is over? This is worrying to songwriters," just after he had placed one of the song's characters in turbulent South America.

At the 1 1/2-hour point, Costello and Lowe did a sincerely '60s-style duet, "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding." Then Costello metamorphosed into Professor Napoleon Dynamite, host of a riotous game show lampoon. The ebulliently comical Dynamite invited audience members to join him onstage to spin the previously hidden "Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a giant flashing wheel of 36 Costello titles. One pair spun up a medley of "People's Limousine," "Oliver's Army" and an elegiac "Peace in Our Time," which Costello was obviously delighted to perform so close to the White House.

Dynamite invited a woman from the audience to play a junior drum kit for "Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind" and "Alison," even allowing her a drum solo, while the winning spinning couple prom-danced in a silver go-go cage.

After one more spin turned up "Shot With His Own Gun" (on piano) and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (on terse and ragged electric guitar), Costello manipulated the wheel slightly -- "If you can't cheat in Washington, D.C., where can you cheat?" -- to finish with his preferred set-closer "Pump It Up," which he delivered with a beat box's vaguely go-go rhythm and eerie inserts from Prince's "Sign o' the Times" and Grandmaster Flash's "The Message."

Digital Larry and djh22 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.